ACC Prepares to Raid American

UNTX

Hopefully leadership is doing some contingency planning.  If all or most of these schools leave the AAC, then hopefully the MWC will revisit getting into Texas and possibly adding UNT and UTSA.  That would be the better option at that point.  This is all such a mess.

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/acc-vetting-top-expansion-candidates-with-possible-departures-looming

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

Just guessing but I believe that the ACC is looking for three to replace the future-departing Clemson, Florida State and North Carolina.  If I had to guess, I'd choose Tulane, USF and Memphis as their replacements.  

What would the AAC do if that happened?  I'd raid the Sun Belt for three teams.  My choices would be Marshall, Appalachian State and Texas State.  

If we had to leave due to dissolving the AAC (which I sincerely hope doesn't happen) then North Texas and UTSA should look to the PAC?/Mountain West.  I really don't think that it will happen because Commissioner Aresco has most of a billion dollar contract with ESPN.  If anything, I believe that he would try to add Air Force, Colorado State and New Mexico (they have played good basketball).

Another choice would be to get two or three very good basketball schools who would elevate their football programs to the FBS level.

Somehow, I believe that Mike Aresco will keep us alive as the #1  G-level conference.  I believe in him.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

This is just a filler article for content. If and when Clemson, FSU and UNC leave they already found three teams to replace them…..sooooo it doesn’t make sense to add anymore. Just because they’re being vetted doesn’t mean anything, it’s what any conference would do. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

This is just a filler article for content. If and when Clemson, FSU and UNC leave they already found three teams to replace them…..sooooo it doesn’t make sense to add anymore. Just because they’re being vetted doesn’t mean anything, it’s what any conference would do. 

Agree, this article is just Fluff.  No factual evidence of anything.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Question: Which of those listed candidates would be willing and able to cut the ACC the same kind of deal that SMU did?

Here's the better question...why would they?   If FSU, Clemson, UNC and anyone else leave, why would you forego revenue in a conference that will likely lose "P5" (or is it P4, or P3 at this point) status real real soon thereafter?   

18 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I also doubt it happens before 2036 and the GOR expires, but we need to do anything we can before then to change the narrative about UNT. If there are only 3 or 4 spots we need to make sure UNT takes one of them. 

15 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I also doubt it happens before 2036 and the GOR expires, but we need to do anything we can before then to change the narrative about UNT. If there are only 3 or 4 spots we need to make sure UNT takes one of them. 

In the ACC? Nah man. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1