SMU left the AAC because UNT joined👀👀

Jonnyeagle

When TCU joined the Big 12 Conference, in 2012, SMU’s leadership could only look on in disgust, and envy. TCU had the hook, and national exposure, it wanted.

The idea that TCU was better than SMU in anything wasn’t a slap-in-the-face to a lot of Hilltoppers, it was a 3-wood to the face.

Alas, from 2000 to its current state, the rivalry between the two has been in name only. TCU is the Big 12 member, while SMU was in a Group of Five.

SMU has won a few games here and there, but TCU and SMU has been big (rich) brother versus little (also very rich) brother.

When the Big 12 announced in 2021 that it would add American Athletic Conference members Houston, Central Florida and Cincinnati, some SMU officials were livid that the AAC invited North Texas as a new member.

Disregard whatever they may say publicly, SMU does not want to be affiliated with North Texas.

SMU has spent tens of millions of dollars in upgrading its facilities, and earlier this year SMU officials passionately lobbied to join the Pac-12. The Pac-12 could not sell to its member schools that SMU was a value add, so the lead died.

When the Pac-12 died, SMU played its hole card. Money. Money, and influential members of its community who have no problem spending it.

link:  https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article279596899.html

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

Mac Engel is a douchebag, but he is right about this. It's not like it isn't obvious. 

What has always been the saddest part if the entire SMU-North Texas history is that SMU only plays us when it helps them, while we act like its the most awesomest thing ever to play them. We pack their stadium, we get all fired up, and we completely panic our players and coaches the moment they fall behind when playing them, which leads to the eventual ass-kicking we receive. SMU, who brings a few dozen people to Denton in a good year, benefits amazingly, when we bring THOUSANDS of people to Ford Field each time we play there. 

I've always hated playing them and I wish our fans understood the awful effects that getting drilled by them almost every time we play has caused. But we won't do that--we will cry and gripe for years when SMU drops us from the OOC schedule, even though it will be the very best thing that we could have happen. Let them go their way and enjoy never playing anyone from Texas going forward. Let their oil money pay more for this ACC project, which will be really fun to see when oil eventually drops back to its $30 a barrel level again in the years ahead. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, JT Hammons said:

Absolutely 100% correct but believe me he HATES UNT and always has.  He would never write anything good about us even when we won 4 straight championships in football.

He’s a typical CFB media elitist. They all looked down on us back then because we played teams they all thought shouldn’t be playing Division 1-A football at the time. As with almost every SWC media outlet, we are almost always looked down upon. Most of that is our fault, as we gave up on football for basically 20 years, many of which overlapped the SWC being filled with highly ranked teams. Today, almost all of the DFW media either ignores us or just looks at us as some “special” program that doesn’t fit in with the rest. It’s really too bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, untjim1995 said:

Mac Engel is a douchebag, but he is right about this. It's not like it isn't obvious. 

What has always been the saddest part if the entire SMU-North Texas history is that SMU only plays us when it helps them, while we act like its the most awesomest thing ever to play them. We pack their stadium, we get all fired up, and we completely panic our players and coaches the moment they fall behind when playing them, which leads to the eventual ass-kicking we receive. SMU, who brings a few dozen people to Denton in a good year, benefits amazingly, when we bring THOUSANDS of people to Ford Field each time we play there. 

I've always hated playing them and I wish our fans understood the awful effects that getting drilled by them almost every time we play has caused. But we won't do that--we will cry and gripe for years when SMU drops us from the OOC schedule, even though it will be the very best thing that we could have happen. Let them go their way and enjoy never playing anyone from Texas going forward. Let their oil money pay more for this ACC project, which will be really fun to see when oil eventually drops back to its $30 a barrel level again in the years ahead. 

Oil isn't dropping to $30/bbl bro.  lol.  

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Oil isn't dropping to $30/bbl bro.  lol.  

Not that I'm not jealous, because getting in to the ACC is a VERY big deal, and SMU deserves kudos for that, but do you believe the donors footing the bill for this move will be happy with their investment if you wind up being the Vanderbilt of the ACC?

• Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Not that I'm not jealous, because getting in to the ACC is a VERY big deal, and SMU deserves kudos for that, but do you believe the donors footing the bill for this move will be happy with their investment if you wind up being the Vanderbilt of the ACC?

Smut deserves NO kudos for trying to cheat and buy their way upward, all throughout their history.   All schools except them earn a Conference invite, not Smut.  The Big12 certainly didn't want them, numerous times, even with all their $$.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, NT80 said:

Smut deserves NO kudos for trying to cheat and buy their way upward, all throughout their history.   All schools except them earn a Conference invite, not Smut.  The Big12 certainly didn't want them, numerous times, even with all their $$.

I know they're dirty as hell. I know they're scumbags who have always been content with looking the other way. I have seen a screenshot from within last two weeks of their current DC Scott Symons sending a message to a player on another FBS team about entering the portal for 2024 offering six figures to play for SMU. They are still breaking the rules and as dirty as ever. Doesn't change the fact that over the last decade their program has been a winner and is now going to be joining a P4/P5 conference. That doesn't just affect football it changes the trajectory for every scholarship athlete. It's 2023, whether we like it or not they are hanging with the haves and we are getting demolished amongst the have nots.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The roster TODAY has more talent than half of the ACC.

How do you think being able to recruit and use NIL with the ACC patch is going to go?  

• Downvote 3

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

Big 12 didn't "want" SMU b/c we represent an existential threat to schools like TCU, Houston, Baylor, Tech, and OK State.

What recruit in their right mind would choose to live in those truck stop wastelands if they can go play in Dallas at the Power 4 level?

• Haha 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 3

36 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Big 12 didn't "want" SMU b/c we represent an existential threat to schools like TCU, Houston, Baylor, Tech, and OK State.

What recruit in their right mind would choose to live in those truck stop wastelands if they can go play in Dallas at the Power 4 level?

Smut will give them over 100,000 reasons!$$$$$$$$

• Puking Eagle 1

56 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Thankyou richard , now please go home.

11 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I know they're dirty as hell. I know they're scumbags who have always been content with looking the other way. I have seen a screenshot from within last two weeks of their current DC Scott Symons sending a message to a player on another FBS team about entering the portal for 2024 offering six figures to play for SMU. They are still breaking the rules and as dirty as ever. Doesn't change the fact that over the last decade their program has been a winner and is now going to be joining a P4/P5 conference. That doesn't just affect football it changes the trajectory for every scholarship athlete. It's 2023, whether we like it or not they are hanging with the haves and we are getting demolished amongst the have nots.

Cheaters are never winners.  It really doesn't matter where they end up, there will be no true fans to follow.  Dallas knows they don't represent the people of Dallas unless you have a Park Cities zip code and are ok with cheating.  They bought their way in and as always feel entitled by wealth over integrity.  I will always be a fan of anyone that plays against them!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

That is not going to command the 25+ million per school that the schools are used to. You can’t replace those schools

Those schools are also going to have to compensate the ACC to the tune of around $1b if they have any intentions of breaking the Grant of Rights.  Contracts have consequences.

That's why despite all their whining last year guess what?  FSU and Clemson are still members of the ACC.  The absolute earliest that any school is leaving is 2030.  Who knows what happens between now and then?  

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3