Ryan Peck Leaving for TCU

DentonLurker

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Abolish a revenue position? Are you against acquiring and managing revenue for the athletic department?

I view those positions as I view politicians. Self serving bureaucrats that are more concerned about protecting their job than performing their job at a high level. 

Take that salary. Split it 3 ways as base pay. Let 3 newly hired people come in and hustle and grind into commission dollars. 

• Upvote 7
  • RV 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

Seems very relevant to football since this position is responsible for fundraising, licensing, sponsorships, ticket sales, etc.

And since NIL is outside of the university, I don’t see what it has to do with this position.

Agree with first sentence, but highly doubt there are not a great number of universities that have employees dedicated to orchestrating NIL donations. 

It won't be on the job descriptions, but that will be their primary focus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Agree with first sentence, but highly doubt there are not a great number of universities that have employees dedicated to orchestrating NIL donations. 

It won't be on the job descriptions, but that will be their primary focus. 

I don’t know that that’s true. With the IRS threatening to revoke 501c3 statuses, the universities better be careful how involved they are.

3 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Seems very relevant to football since this position is responsible for fundraising, licensing, sponsorships, ticket sales, etc.

And since NIL is outside of the university, I don’t see what it has to do with this position.

If you don't think that the universities and the Athletic department are very involved in NIL, then with all due respect, you are naive. They are directing who the boosters focus on.  Hell, you even have Ohio State's AD stating that top recruits are asking to be paid to come and visit.

The problem is not NIL; the issue is so much of it seems to be focused on Pay-for-play. However, due to the rush to implement and keep the courts and elected officials at bay, there were few enforceable rules put in the player. The NCAA provided a clear path to sanctioned cheating. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Pissed 1

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If you don't think that the universities and the Athletic department are very involved in NIL, then with all due respect, you are naive.

I’m not disputing that athletic departments have some involvement in NIL conversations and may be funneling some names to the outside entities. I don’t think most schools have employees who have that as their “primary focus.” If that makes me naive, maybe I am. I’m okay with that.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

You are correct on every point. In the age of NIL, this position is more important than ever as NIL tends to pull money away from the university. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

No doubt he was a nice guy.  Not sure he cultivated a lot of new big donors but he was real nice to hang out with.

Cant say he didn't try. 

• Upvote 1