Has anyone seen any projections on where we will be in the AAC?

Ross Hodgeson

We play Memphis, USF, Temple, UTSA at home only.  We play Charlotte, Rice, Tulsa, WSU away only.  We play UAB, ECU, FAU, SMU, Tulane home and away in 2023-24.

Where does this schedule put us in the AAC and should we expect to be in the top 1-3 teams in the league?  I think we can win it all, but would be interested to see where the rest of the prognosticators slot us.

https://theamerican.org/news/2023/7/20/the-american-announces-2023-24-mens-basketball-schedule-pairings.aspx

• Upvote 6

I've come to really like Bart Torvik's site.

Looks like he's updated for this year's projections.

https://www.barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=Amer&state=All&year=2024&sort=

• #107 nationally
  • #8 in the AAC.

Losing Tylor, Abou, (2 of our top 3 rated players in his system had they stayed in Denton), Kai and McCasland likely make this pre-season projections a real crap shoot.

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I think FAU and Memphis are probably the top 2 teams, I have seen UNT projected as high as 3rd and as low as 8th.  There are lots of variables coming into this season, however UNT has a coach that has been around this program and knows how to implement a defense.  UNT has also recruited well and picked up some good transfers.  Realistically I think 4th or 5th would be a reasonable projection, based on all the adjustment. 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

abou was frustrating to watch, honestly...

I'm with you. Anxious to see if there Hodge's offense feeds the post less frequently or at least creates movement elsewhere to open opportunities to pass out of it. With Abou or McCasland, it often felt like once Abou had the ball, everyone else was checked out of the possession.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, NT80 said:

Height at the post is overrated, unless they are agile and can move.   Most 7' and over are statues.  The better posts are at elite programs.   

Most definitely the better/taller posts are at elite programs. However, there has got to be 6’10” guys out there, albeit with limited abilities, that can help. As they say, you can’t teach size. But, this is the problem. I know it’s hard to recruit bigs. It would be nice to even recruit internationally if they had the means. 

3 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

Most definitely the better/taller posts are at elite programs. However, there has got to be 6’10” guys out there, albeit with limited abilities, that can help. As they say, you can’t teach size. But, this is the problem. I know it’s hard to recruit bigs. It would be nice to even recruit internationally if they had the means. 

I would MUCH rather have a 6’7”-6’9” guy who is agile and a skilled passer than a 7’ guy who is a plodding mess. 

• Upvote 6

I'd have to rate FAU #1 since they return everyone from a Final Four team.  However, I keep my eyes on Memphis.  They had the 5th rated recruiting team this year, including a 5-star guard.  Some see them as a Top 10 team.  I see us as third, in spite of losing the best player in the NIT (and likely the entire country).  If Coach Ross can restore the skills of former 4-star recruits Niland and Walker and improve around the post play with Old Miss transfer Allen; add in a first team Juco All-American; a total of four potential 40% 3-point shooters and we're going to be tough competition.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

However, I keep my eyes on Memphis.  They had the 5th rated recruiting team this year, including a 5-star guard.  Some see them as a Top 10 team.  

That 5 star guard has no access to team facilities, wasn't with the team for their summer trip to the Dominican Republic, and didn't participate in the first team practice. As of right now, he's on the roster but not permitted to participate in team activities until his legal case is done. Preliminary hearing is set for October 10th after being postponed 3 times.

I don't know how his charges translate to Texas law but if it were here, he'd have 5 felonies. He's charged 5 counts of assault with a weapon and 1 count of firing into an occupied vehicle.

All that to say, Mikey Williams probably isn't part of the immediate gameplan for Memphis.

They do however have a transfer guard from Alabama and a transfer power forward from La-La who will both be dangerous.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 9/20/2023 at 8:22 PM, greenminer said:

Moulaye is listed as 1" shorter and 10 lbs heavier.

and built like a brick shithouse

I think we'll miss Abou, but having super athletic bigs that are a tad bit shorter is fine by me. Hodge on the DCTF podcast said Moulaye might be the fastest guy on the team. That says something

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1