Big Name Head Coach On the Rise...

C Rod

In light of the impact Deion Sanders has made at both Colorado and Jackson State. It has me thinking about other opportunities to bring in a big name coach on their way up. Here’s one name I’m keeping a close eye on and he’s currently coaching in our own backyard… Jason Witten.

Jason Witten just entered his 3rd year as the head coach at Argyle Liberty Christian. His first season at the helm resulted in a 2-8 record. Last season… 10-2. And this season they’ve started 2-0 with scores of 48-19 & 31-0. Coach Witten is on record saying that he enjoys the relationships built with young athletes… and I quote: "I'm reminded why I fell in love with this game." The future NFL Hall-of-Famer studied the game under Bill Parcels, Wade Phillips, and Jason Garrett so he knows a thing or two about being a head coach. Not too shabby if you ask me. 

Jason’s son, CJ Witten, is currently a junior and Captain on the team. Unlike his father, he chose defense and is a stud at linebacker. Last season as a sophomore CJ had 75 tackles and after two games this season, he has 15 total tackles (9 of them solo) with 1 sack. Hmm… I wonder where CJ plans to attend college two years from now? I’m sure Jason wants to coach CJ through his senior year but then what? Will he be ready to move onto the next level after four years of being the head coach in Argyle? Perhaps here at UNT, Coach Witten and CJ would be more akin to Deion and Sheduer Sanders and less like Todd & Riley Dodge. You have to admit it would make great headlines and would draw much-needed positive attention to UNT in the DFW Metroplex.

Mean Green Nation, barring a miraculous turnaround with Coach Morris, what do y’all think about Jason Witten becoming our next head coach in two years?

• RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 7

2 minutes ago, C Rod said:

In light of the impact Deion Sanders has made at both Colorado and Jackson State. It has me thinking about other opportunities to bring in a big name coach on their way up. Here’s one name I’m keeping a close eye on and he’s currently coaching in our own backyard… Jason Witten.

Jason Witten just entered his 3rd year as the head coach at Argyle Liberty Christian. His first season at the helm resulted in a 2-8 record. Last season… 10-2. And this season they’ve started 2-0 with scores of 48-19 & 31-0. Coach Witten is on record saying that he enjoys the relationships built with young athletes… and I quote: "I'm reminded why I fell in love with this game." The future NFL Hall-of-Famer studied the game under Bill Parcels, Wade Phillips, and Jason Garrett so he knows a thing or two about being a head coach. Not too shabby if you ask me. 

Jason’s son, CJ Witten, is currently a junior and Captain on the team. Unlike his father, he chose defense and is a stud at linebacker. Last season as a sophomore CJ had 75 tackles and after two games this season, he has 15 total tackles (9 of them solo) with 1 sack. Hmm… I wonder where CJ plans to attend college two years from now? I’m sure Jason wants to coach CJ through his senior year but then what? Will he be ready to move onto the next level after four years of being the head coach in Argyle? Perhaps here at UNT, Coach Witten and CJ would be more akin to Deion and Sheduer Sanders and less like Todd & Riley Dodge. You have to admit it would make great headlines and would draw much-needed positive attention to UNT in the DFW Metroplex.

Mean Green Nation, barring a miraculous turnaround with Coach Morris, what do y’all think about Jason Witten becoming our next head coach in two years?

Don’t think there is that much time. 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

And Todd Dodge is one of the greatest coaches in the history of Texas HS Football.

Absolutely and unequivocally no more high school coaches to become our HC. 

And Deion was the OC at Trinity Christian School before jumping to HC at Jackson State. That move worked out just fine for Jackson State.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

And Deion was the OC at Trinity Christian School before jumping to HC at Jackson State. That move worked out just fine for Jackson State.

If you believe Jason Witten and Deion Sanders have the same level of salesmanship and connections to woo recruits and assistant coaches then I may have a blinker fluid manufacturing business for you to invest in.

• Haha 2

Just now, Cr1028 said:

This. So much this.

I’m seeing the board has very strong feelings about this. 😂

UAB hired Trent Dilfer this past offseason with only high school head coaching experience and the guy is 1-1 so far. Will be interesting to see how his tenure plays out compared to our beloved Eric Morris. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If you believe Jason Witten and Deion Sanders have the same level of salesmanship and connections to woo recruits and assistant coaches then I may have a blinker fluid manufacturing business for you to invest in.

Bro I’d love to invest but all my money is currently tied up in Blockbuster, MySpace, and NFTs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3