Men's 23-24 schedule thread

Matt from A700

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

In football, this holds weight. In basketball, you would think coaches would want to play some OOC Q1/Q2 games if they don't have many/enough. 

If it’s not a Q1 game, most P5 teams don’t bite as much. Some take risks but losing to NT like Oklahoma State or Wisconsin did, even if that was NIT, shows teams how UGLY we play and that it would be a bad loss on their schedule, even if we are a 30 win team…

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The preseason projections for UNT have not been great the last few seasons, I think every year the majority of projections has us outside the top 100.  However those same seasons UNT proved to be a Q1 bubble team when March rolled around.  So I am sure a lot of other bubble teams wish they had game against UNT those seasons. 

On 10/5/2023 at 12:23 PM, MrAlien said:

I would almost rather see UTA as an away game, UNT did travel well there last year, and an away game does more for NET rankings.  

I'd be fine with that if it was on a better date. Arlington's an easier drive for me than Denton. I loved the environment we created at the College Park Center last year. The UTA fans were late-arriving so the Mavs ran onto their home court heckled with boos. I hope we do the same at the SMU game this year.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm assuming whoever puked to this post was puking with excitement.

They probably don't recognize the name because they don't watch CBB outside of North Texas. Northern Iowa was down last year but has had a couple 30 win seasons in the past 20 years and probably have had more 20 win seasons than losing seasons in that same span. They made the NIT a couple years ago and within the past decade made back to back NCAA tourneys. They upset Wisconsin one year and upset Texas the following year before falling to Texas A&M in an OT thriller. Both of those games were amazing.

If we do open against Northern Iowa, a win could turn to be a solid win by the end of the year. This is a fairly good mid-major program.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

Are we still missing dates for late November and December? We are a month away and we still don't have a finalized schedule? I'm telling you guys this seems unusual. 

when i tweeted jared a few weeks back he said they were still finalizing 2. I guess Northern Iowa was one. Curious on the second 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

when i tweeted jared a few weeks back he said they were still finalizing 2. I guess Northern Iowa was one. Curious on the second 

Which is at the beginning of the year right?  I know we are playing the Charleston Classic so that would add a couple more from Nov. 16-18th but that still leaves holes for Nov. 22nd, 25th, and 30th. as well as any late December games. Look at our OOC compared to our conference mates.

Screenshot2023-10-12at12_15_22PM.png.8d9012aef5d90707e815e1970f1c4a14.png

Screenshot2023-10-12at12_17_26PM.png.70e7ed9a80472c3d121c06781db7ad43.png

Screenshot2023-10-12at12_18_33PM.png.7d4f137a3dc9c4a64c57009326b66eab.png

Screenshot2023-10-12at12_21_15PM.png.b776765e2a56132fcad029fb77840e4b.png

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 12.19.36 PM.png

Everyone has 12 to 13 games on their OOC. Even with the Northern Iowa and UTA games we are down 2-3 games vs everyone else. 

Edited by Green Otaku

21 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

1 more game and that's it according to what others have said. I'm a little surprised that no one else finds it weird that we are still looking for games 26 days before the season starts. 

UNI puts us at 10 nonconference games and 28 total. We should be able to schedule three more if we can find the teams and dates, per the NCAA (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-10-27/how-many-games-are-college-basketball-season#:~:text=Teams that don't participate,games in their conference tournaments.) :

In April 2020, the Division I Council passed legislation that allows men's basketball programs to schedule up to 28 regular-season games and participate in an MTE that has up to three games, or 29 regular-season games while participating in an MTE that has up to two games, for a total of 31 games in either scheduling option.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1