Texas State at UTSA.

meangreenbob

3 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Good god, did anyone even remotely have this being a Marquee game on their bingo card 10 years ago?

Things have really gone topsy turvy (well, except for here, where it's just another year at UNT football)

We had our chance. Stupid decisions over the last 20 years sealed our fate. We are the doormat. It is what it is. We are NORTH TEXAS!! 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 9
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 4

14 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

to a mediocre Houston team.

That is looking at them through green tinted glasses to make us feel less awful about UTSA going from not having a football program at all to a program we are trying to catch up with in less than 15 years.  We don't know if Houston is mediocre this early just like we don't know if our 2023 team is awful yet.  We could be chasing Texas State in a significantly shorter amount of time.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

We had our chance. Stupid decisions over the last 20 years sealed our fate. We are the doormat. It is what it is. We are NORTH TEXAS!! 

With the resources available at the time, which stupid decisions are you referring to (other than hiring Mandy McKinley)?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

That is looking at them through green tinted glasses to make us feel less awful about UTSA going from not having a football program at all to a program we are trying to catch up with in less than 15 years.  We don't know if Houston is mediocre this early just like we don't know if our 2023 team is awful yet.  We could be chasing Texas State in a significantly shorter amount of time.

Green tinted glasses? I'm looking at it through UTSA glasses. Losing to a new Big 12 team that a lot of people don't think will make a bowl game is a bad loss for a G5 team expected to compete for a NY6 Bowl. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

Texas State has only been playing FBS football for 10 years. After beating Baylor, they are probably on track to their first bowl game ever. I bet Texas State actually has some dedicated fans and there's hype around the program now. Apparently they have two D2 national titles from the 80s. And with it being UTSA's first home game, I'm sure it will be a big crowd. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Honest question, why are you here?   I don't mean this sarcastically, I'm genuinely asking why you continue to engage in something (North Texas football) that clearly causes you so much stress and negativity.   

You’re so disingenuous.

I’ve been following UNT football before you were born. 

Don’t you ever post a negative comment again least you be called a hypocrite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

You’re so disingenuous.

I’ve been following UNT football before you were born. 

Don’t you ever post a negative comment again least you be called a hypocrite. 

What exactly was disingenuous about what I asked?  It was an honest question.  

There is a BIG difference between being upset about current performance and being a fatalist.   If I tell my daughter “your current performance in math is horrible and well below my expectations” that is one thing…but if I say to her “I don’t know why I expected better, you’ve always been an academic doormat.  It is what it is.  You are stupid”    then that is totally different.

And when I asked “why are you here?” I wasn’t hoping for you to give up your North Texas fandom (so chill out @NorthTexasWeLove, I’m not trying to run off one of the “11 fans”).  I was asking why you bother to come on a North Texas fan board to be a defeatist ALL. THE. TIME. when there are so many things in life you could be doing that might bring you joy.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

What exactly was disingenuous about what I asked?  It was an honest question.  

There is a BIG difference between being upset about current performance and being a fatalist.   If I tell my daughter “your current performance in math is horrible and well below my expectations” that is one thing…but if I say to her “I don’t know why I expected better, you’ve always been an academic doormat.  It is what it is.  You are stupid”    then that is totally different.

And when I asked “why are you here?” I wasn’t hoping for you to give up your North Texas fandom (so chill out @NorthTexasWeLove, I’m not trying to run off one of the “11 fans”).  I was asking why you bother to come on a North Texas fan board to be a defeatist ALL. THE. TIME. when there are so many things in life you could be doing that might bring you joy.  

I  personally view UNT football like my golf game. It's very mediocre and sometimes really bad, but at those rare and random moments it becomes pretty respectable, and it keeps me drawn in to keep playing. As for UNT, people are rightfully starting to become extremely aggravated that the respectability is so rare. And it's not just this year, or 3 years ago, it's been this way for decades. 

This place is not for the faint of heart. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

You only show when the going gets tough and you can criticize everything.  You disappear when things are going well.  Why is that?

You beat that drum a lot. That is bullshit. 

But for the sake of entertaining your stupid argument... People only pull the fire alarm when there's a fire. People only call 911 when there's a crime. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Back in the 70’s I would drive up many times from South Oak Cliff after work on a Friday night to attend a North Texas pep rally. Fry would be on a about 1 foot high small wooden platform on the south side of Kerr Hall encouraging the 80 or so fans to support the team at Saturdays game. This was at a time when many students were pushing to abolish the football program. I would drive up again Saturday for the game by myself because I couldn’t get anyone to go. Same for basketball. Fry is the best Coach this University has ever had bar none and the Administration would not support him. Not at all. He left and is now in the College Hall of Fame  

Dr. Hurley a great academic President allowed the school to drop to 1aa football. Many on this board recognize and claim this as the most damaging move the Administration could have ever made and point to this failure as the reason for our lack of real success to this present day. 

Helwig banning tailgating and changing our school colors, adding blue and orange. 

The Dodge hire and allowing him to bring his high school defensive coordinator and coaches. Enough said. 

Trilli, Benford. Enough said  

Allowing Rick Villarreal to stick around for 15 years. Enough said  

Instead or hiring a young, vibrant enthusiastic head coach we hire an aged coach clearly on his way out, McCarney,  and pay a 1.3 million buyout. Or was it 2.3? 

We next hire an unproven head coach in Littrell allowing him to learn on the job, get hoodwinked in contract negotiations because of our lack of knowledge and understanding and then can not fire him at a crucial time for the program because of the huge buyout we agreed to.

I’m on this board because I fell in love with NORTH TEXAS the first time I laid eyes on it in the Fall of 1969. I’ve listed a few  of the foolish and damaging decisions this Administration has made over the years that has stymied the success of our programs. I’m sure there are more. 

You can label me a fatalist if you want, that’s fine, but actually I’m a realist and believe it or not an optimist. I can put on the green glasses and I have at times. 

I love this school more than any employee ever will. Most on this board do. But if we want this program to excel beyond our wildest dreams then all of us need to take off the green glasses, see and tell the truth and hold those making huge salaries accountable for failure by not being timid or afraid to speak out and tell it like it is. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Back in the 70’s I would drive up many times from South Oak Cliff after work on a Friday night to attend a North Texas pep rally. Fry would be on a about 1 foot high small wooden platform on the south side of Kerr Hall encouraging the 80 or so fans to support the team at Saturdays game. This was at a time when many students were pushing to abolish the football program. I would drive up again Saturday for the game by myself because I couldn’t get anyone to go. Same for basketball. Fry is the best Coach this University has ever had bar none and the Administration would not support him. Not at all. He left and is now in the College Hall of Fame  

Dr. Hurley a great academic President allowed the school to drop to 1aa football. Many on this board recognize and claim this as the most damaging move the Administration could have ever made and point to this failure as the reason for our lack of real success to this present day. 

Helwig banning tailgating and changing our school colors, adding blue and orange. 

The Dodge hire and allowing him to bring his high school defensive coordinator and coaches. Enough said. 

Trilli, Benford. Enough said  

Allowing Rick Villarreal to stick around for 15 years. Enough said  

Instead or hiring a young, vibrant enthusiastic head coach we hire an aged coach clearly on his way out, McCarney,  and pay a 1.3 million buyout. Or was it 2.3? 

We next hire an unproven head coach in Littrell allowing him to learn on the job, get hoodwinked in contract negotiations because of our lack of knowledge and understanding and then can not fire him at a crucial time for the program because of the huge buyout we agreed to.

I’m on this board because I fell in love with NORTH TEXAS the first time I laid eyes on it in the Fall of 1969. I’ve listed a few  of the foolish and damaging decisions this Administration has made over the years that has stymied the success of our programs. I’m sure there are more. 

You can label me a fatalist if you want, that’s fine, but actually I’m a realist and believe it or not an optimist. I can put on the green glasses and I have at times. 

I love this school more than any employee ever will. Most on this board do. But if we want this program to excel beyond our wildest dreams than all of us need to take off the green glasses, see and tell the truth and hold those making huge salaries accountable for failure by not being timid or afraid to speak out and tell it like it is. 

"see and tell the truth and hold those making huge salaries accountable for failure by not being timid or afraid to speak out and tell it like it is."

Completely agree, we just need the voices of disapproval to also go beyond the forum walls.

Thank for your tried and true support of all things UNT. Respect.

• Upvote 3