Cal brought in over 50 & UH Coogs over 40 transfers—-UNT must do same for 2024. Please—no 4-5 yr re-building plans. No Time!

PlummMeanGreen

IMG_9541.thumb.jpeg.02e89c7c38815e6f7dfac9f497cc46d0.jpeg
IMG_9539.thumb.jpeg.420b998d9fd5ebc60d03718b29617e9e.jpeg

A Few Post Game Day thoughts:

••• Even with this msg, boards NegNeds spending 2 weeks telling the MG fan base that DATCU Stadium was going to be a towering inferno—WE STILL HAD A GOOD CROWD.  
Note: See some of it in above photos.

••• We already have some fine talent at UNT, but we do not have enough AAC-level talent.  SL allowed Traylor & UTSA to dig in & pass us by the last 3 years while we were too busy building a P5 venue or 2 & being a “monster.”   (Remember “this place could be a monster” comment SL said on many occasions)?

••• Unless we have some dramatic development in the next few weeks on the practice fields, UTSA (later this season) is going to score at will on our MG “D” this season.  Did you see the UH/UTSA game yesterday?  FWIW, Coach Traylor recruits “NFL prototypical” sized talent, but too many of our recruits are still under-sized & seem a step slow.  ▶️ Still, some of our best D-line talent thru the years were under-sized.  Remember JC Garrett, Walter Chapman, Booger Kennedy, etc.,

••• SHOW TIME?   IMO, the  overall entertainment product was much better yesterday.  Maybe a tad too much loud pre-recorded music between plays was a bit much & over-kill? 

••• Finally!  MG Radio Coverage Out West of Fort Worth—matter of fact even west of Weatherford (where the West really begins). Need proof where the West begins?   Then ask Parker County’s own (& good neighbor) movie mogul one Taylor Sheridan out at his 25,000 acre Bosque Ranch. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to Cal brought in over 50 & UH Coogs over 40 transfers—-UNT must do same for 2024. Please—no 4-5 yr re-building plans.
4 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Which I have been suspect of recruiting HS players as the priority. Our good ones will only transfer and follow the money. bTW, how did our transferee do yesterday?

Roberts, Gumms, Shorter.

The only with stats is Roberts. 1 reception for 1 yard. Larry Nixon doesn't appear to have played either.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to Cal brought in over 50 & UH Coogs over 40 transfers—-UNT must do same for 2024. Please—no 4-5 yr re-building plans. No Time!

So does our Administration pressure our head coach to recruit high school players because something isn’t right as we watch other programs bypass us in talent and prestige. 

UTSA will destroy what “mean” if any is left in the Green. 

Our administration and coaching staff need to ask UTSA if they will mentor us on how to build a football program from scratch because after a 100 years we can’t figure it out. 

Either that or get an exorcist because we’ve been cursed to wallow in the depths of the abyss. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Deion took a 1-11 Colorado roster and flipped it using the transfer portal and got vilified by members on this board. “How dare he tell those kids to hit the portal like that!” Many were openly rooting for his failure. “He won’t succeed at this level” and “He’s in for a culture shock in Colorado.” 

Well, with the beauty of hindsight, did you see what happened yesterday? Colorado, a 20-point underdog, just beat #17 TCU in Fort Worth. I’m reminded by the saying “Don’t hate the player, hate the game.” My friends, like it or not, the game has changed before our eyes and we need to adapt and evolve or we die. 

We need to be spending our time and resources scouring the Portal for transfer gems that fit our system. Our NIL dollars and scholarships need to be spent luring those transfers to UNT, not HS recruits. We don’t have the time or luxury to recruit and develop HS players because once we do, they’ll bolt to bigger programs. 

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Maybe a tad too much loud pre-recorded music between plays was a bit much & over-kill? 

I've read this a few times since yesterday's GameDay.  I would say from a production sound point this is 100% what was missing in previous years.  I get the old timers may not want anything but the occasional 70's classic rock song between downs, but most sporting events are constantly pumping music/sound effects in between plays to try to keep energy up in the stands.

Unfortunately the speakers still are awful at DATCU.  New video boards seemed to perform though.

I was shocked when they were going through famous UNT recording artists and put Hip Hop artists on the display.  It's cool that Meatloaf, Don Henley, and Norah Jones went to UNT, but the students we complain about attendance on care more about artists relevant to them than "I would do anything for love..." being played.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

Jared has done some good things but as an AD you are judged 100% from your hires.  Of that 100%, 90 of it is football.  If Jared hired the wrong guy it will be very problematic for him.  Let’s hope they get this turned around but Morris absolutely misread this roster and did nothing in the portal.

Edited by Tommy Gadberry
  • Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

53 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Jared has done some good things but as an AD you are judged 100% from your hires.  Of that 100%, 90 of it is football.  If Jared hired the wrong guy it will be very problematic for him.  Let’s hope they get this turned around but Morris absolutely misread this roster and did nothing in the portal.

I agree, but Jared was left with a shit-show of coaches whom Wren should have parted ways with. We're all upset, but a year ago, most were very vocal that we would not be competitive in the American with the staff in place and the talent level. Wren should have made the change at the end of the 2021 season. I am willing to give Jared a little leeway on cleaning his house.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

So does our Administration pressure our head coach to recruit high school players because something isn’t right as we watch other programs bypass us in talent and prestige. 

Our administration and coaching staff need to ask UTSA if they will mentor us on how to build a football program from scratch because after a 100 years we can’t figure it out. 

Either that or get an exorcist because we’ve been cursed to wallow in the depths of the abyss. 

Post of the week.

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

••• Even with this msg, boards NegNeds spending 2 weeks telling the MG fan base that DATCU Stadium was going to be a towering inferno—WE STILL HAD A GOOD CROWD 

Seriously, I don’t think we were at the same game.  Maybe you are confusing the staduim formerly known at Apogee with TDECU in Houston.  

3 hours ago, C Rod said:

Well, with the beauty of hindsight, did you see what happened yesterday? Colorado, a 20-point underdog, just beat #17 TCU in Fort Worth. I’m reminded by the saying “Don’t hate the player, hate the game.” My friends, like it or not, the game has changed before our eyes and we need to adapt and evolve or we die. 

It isn't hindsight when you people on this board are saying that Seth as lame duck 2022 year was pointless at best or damaging at worst.  Nothing really changed yesterday.   Because I know you aren't talking about the 1st clock rules.

From 2020 till mid season 2022 while Seth was "soaring" here Sanders was at Jackson State.  We also could have pitched Sanders before he accepted the Jackson State job.  So we don't need mentoring from UTSA we need bravery to make the moves that demonstrate we really want to win.  If Sanders comes here instead of Jackson State, would he have recruited drastically worse than what he did at Jackson State? Would Travis Hunter and his son NOT kill in CUSA?   ALL HIS COACHING BEFORE JACKSON STATE was in DFW!!!   You think Todd Dodge would is still a failure here with NFL HOF players on speed dial that would come to Denton to speak to the team regularly?   Hell forget Sanders why can't we get a Lane Kiffin or a Hugh Freeze?  The only apperent answer is;. WE DON'T TRY AND THE ADMINISTRATION KNOW WE DON'T EXPECT THEM TO TRY.  Otherwise efforts to get guys like them would be publicized and/or we would have closed the deal on one of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

If you want transfers you need NIL.  Have you donated?

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

If you want transfers you need NIL.  Have you donated?

The issue with donating to UNT is that they have never given their consumer a show of good faith to: 

1. Donate

2. Continue donating

If I donate for X who is to say X ever actually happens. If I donate to the NIL who is to say that monies is adequately used. No one. We an an athletic department that runs on doing the bare minimum to field X sports for X amount of athletes. 

If we were serious about the NIL, whoever leads the thing would come to this very board (the vast majority of donors),and have candid conversations about money on hand and money needed to be successful and be transparent about momentum being generated off of our dollars bills. But I will not give to a slush fund knowing UNTs history of carelessness and inadequacy. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, C Rod said:

Deion took a 1-11 Colorado roster and flipped it using the transfer portal and got vilified by members on this board. “How dare he tell those kids to hit the portal like that!” Many were openly rooting for his failure. “He won’t succeed at this level” and “He’s in for a culture shock in Colorado.” 

We need to be spending our time and resources scouring the Portal for transfer gems that fit our system. Our NIL dollars and scholarships need to be spent luring those transfers to UNT, not HS recruits. We don’t have the time or luxury to recruit and develop HS players because once we do, they’ll bolt to bigger programs. 

Agree. At this point, the risk of taking a high school player is the same as taking a player who has sat on the bench for two years at a top program. The difference is that the transfer player has had two years to develop (physically and mentally) post-high school at a top program and has likely already adjusted to the game speed a bit more as a scout team member.

Also, after a play has transferred once, they're less likely to transfer again. This means that you have a better shot at retaining them for 2–3 years assuming they're playing. The same can't be said for a HS player who sees some early success—they're more likely to transfer out.

Hit the portal, and hit it hard.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The issue with donating to UNT is that they have never given their consumer a show of good faith to: 

1. Donate

2. Continue donating

If I donate for X who is to say X ever actually happens. If I donate to the NIL who is to say that monies is adequately used. No one. We an an athletic department that runs on doing the bare minimum to field X sports for X amount of athletes. 

If we were serious about the NIL, whoever leads the thing would come to this very board (the vast majority of donors),and have candid conversations about money on hand and money needed to be successful and be transparent about momentum being generated off of our dollars bills. But I will not give to a slush fund knowing UNTs history of carelessness and inadequacy. 

In a way I find all this comical given the push back at the mere suggestion that a public campaign to get Coach Sanders would be a complete waste of time according to probably the majority on this board.   We don't have that many donors. I would also add that is very likely the few donors that care enough to give to the point of making sacrifices did so they still couldn't provide the NIL funding to bring in the athletes we need and directly the program.  I can't afford much more than season tickets and the donation required for a seat between the 30 yardlines.  We have needed a coach bigger than the program to bring in excitement and new donors.  Because like I said in another comment being conservative and letting Seth mediocre his way through 2022 made no sense to me if you hire a Morris.  I would have preferred them just promote Patrick Cobbs, save money and tweak schemes we already had in place. Because we see now that the roster needed to be overturned to have a shot at a bowl this year with a new coaching staff implementing a new system. Besides hiring Coach McCarney, this program hasn't done anything big but build the prerequisite facilities not to be near the  bottom of G5 like Coach Dickey dealt with. 

Edited by Mike Jackson

3 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

In a way I find all this comical given the push back at the mere suggestion that a public campaign to get Coach Sanders would be a complete waste of time according to probably the majority on this board.   We don't have that many donors. I would also add that is very likely the few donors that care enough to give to the point of making sacrifices did so they still couldn't provide the NIL funding to bring in the athletes we need and directly the program.  I can't afford much more than season tickets and the donation required for a seat between the 30 yardlines.  We have needed a coach bigger than the program to bring in excitement and new donors.  Because like I said in another comment being conservative and letting Seth mediocre his way through 2022 made no sense to me if you hire a Morris.  I would have preferred them just promote Patrick Cobbs, save money and tweak schemes we already had in place. Because we see now that the roster needed to be overturned to have a shot at a bowl this year with a new coaching staff implementing a new system. Besides hiring Coach McCarney, this program hasn't done anything big but build the prerequisite facilities not to be near the  bottom of G5 like Coach Dickey dealt with.  

I was on the try to get Prime train at the onset.

We haven't had a coach that cares about the LOS since McCarney. And he only cared for the first 12 months on the job. If you don't care about the LOS, coaches that do care about it will come in and pound us into submission. And giving Cobbs that opportunity may not have been the worst idea. 

• Upvote 2

All this talk of coaches, NIL, and transfers and who we could or could not get and I'm trying to figure out how Texas State got such a huge transfer class and how FAU got Tom Herman for less than we're paying Eric Morris. Don't know what FAU will turn into but Herman brought in former Texas and Nebraska QB Casey Thompson to kick things off. Why does this never happen at UNT again? It isn't resources when you see FAU and Texas State pull it off.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

All this talk of coaches, NIL, and transfers and who we could or could not get and I'm trying to figure out how Texas State got such a huge transfer class and how FAU got Tom Herman for less than we're paying Eric Morris. Don't know FAU will turn into but Herman brought in former Texas and Nebraska QB Casey Thompson to kick things off. Why does this never happen at UNT again? It isn't resources when you see FAU and Texas State pull it off.

Texas State just beat us in terms of strategy and execution.   Morris took responsibility but he better damn sure hold his staff accountable too.  Seems like his staff let him down in terms of evaluating this program and where we were.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MrAlien said:

This all goes back to last season and waiting to long to fire the coach.  With out having a coach in place when the transfer window opened they missed out on many potential transfers.  

Their it is! If Wren was going to fire Seth it should have happened at the end of the regular season, not waiting until after the bowl game. Buy the time we got a new head coach and staff on board any potential quality transfers were long gone. I mentioned before that I think if Seth had won against Boise he would still be here.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Texas State just beat us in terms of strategy and execution.   Morris took responsibility but he better damn sure hold his staff accountable too.  Seems like his staff let him down in terms of evaluating this program and where we were.

I don't know the intricacies of who is on his staff, but what a staff cannot have are a bunch of self fulfilling "yes men" trying to climb the neverending coaching ladder. You have to have 2 or 3 guys, somewhat seasoned, that will hit you with truth bombs all week long and twice on Sunday's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Their it is! If Wren was going to fire Seth it should have happened at the end of the regular season, not waiting until after the bowl game. Buy the time we got a new head coach and staff on board any potential quality transfers were long gone. I mentioned before that I think if Seth had won against Boise he would still be here.

Seth didn't coach the bowl game.  He was fired very shortly after the CUSA championship game.

• Upvote 2