Cal brought in over 50 & UH Coogs over 40 transfers—-UNT must do same for 2024. Please—no 4-5 yr re-building plans. No Time!

PlummMeanGreen

I’m just not completely convinced you can build a program doing what Deion has done (Or TXST or Cal). I honestly throw the TCU game out because I think part of the success there can be attributed to surprise, part of it from TCU taking a step back this year, etc. My question is how that translates the rest of the year and into the next few years. It may prove to be a winning strategy. I’m just still not 100% convinced. I’m also not sure coaches not named Deion can get away with it.

That said, I think that with a full year under their belt our coaches have an opportunity to plug some holes now that they’ve seen our talent in their schemes. I’m just not sure it’s the 40-80 player overhaul.

i type all this knowing Deion may very well prove it works. I’m just unsure.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, MrAlien said:

This all goes back to last season and waiting to long to fire the coach.  With out having a coach in place when the transfer window opened they missed out on many potential transfers.  

Never should have been brought back for 2022 or had a contract extension making it so financially punitive to get rid of him at the end of 2021 with no hardware in the trophy case.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m just not completely convinced you can build a program doing what Deion has done (Or TXST or Cal). I honestly throw the TCU game out because I think part of the success there can be attributed to surprise, part of it from TCU taking a step back this year, etc. My question is how that translates the rest of the year and into the next few years. It may prove to be a winning strategy. I’m just still not 100% convinced. I’m also not sure coaches not named Deion can get away with it.

That said, I think that with a full year under their belt our coaches have an opportunity to plug some holes now that they’ve seen our talent in their schemes. I’m just not sure it’s the 40-80 player overhaul.

i type all this knowing Deion may very well prove it works. I’m just unsure.

This is such an interesting and completely foreign viewpoint. I just don't understand it.

You bring in players. They are either from high school or from another college. That's the difference?  It would be disruptive to them the roster completely over every year, but to get started?  I don't understand the distinction. The disruption in that scenario is desired.  Purge the loser culture and players and start fresh. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

This is such an interesting and completely foreign viewpoint. I just don't understand it.

You bring in players. They are either from high school or from another college. That's the difference?  It would be disruptive to them the roster completely over every year, but to get started?  I don't understand the distinction. The disruption in that scenario is desired.  Purge the loser culture and players and start fresh. 

I pressed gmg.com about this earlier this year and it was explained to me that there are clear costs for incoming freshman that do not apply to incoming transfers.

I'm with you on the notion that you go after the players you need, no matter where they come from.  But, if there are extra resources involved for incoming freshman and that first year of development, it's certainly something that cannot be ignored.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DentonStang said:

The disruption in that scenario is desired.  Purge the loser culture and players and start fresh. 

I guess the thing I’m trying to wrap my head around is where you draw the line. Take Colorado for example. Let’s say they finish this year 5-7 and Deion wants some new luggage. Does he just purge his whole roster again? What’s the long term impact to the program?

Edited by DentonLurker

14 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I guess the thing I’m trying to wrap my head around is where you draw the line. Take Colorado for example. Let’s say they finish this year 5-7 and Deion wants some new luggage. Does he just purge his whole roster again? What’s the long term impact to the program?

Yes. If that's what he thinks he needs to do. Honor system goes both ways. Especially at CUs level, they're trying to climb up into the ranks of professional college football. Produce or get to steppin..