Well I Guess They Were All Right

Mike Jackson

Welp, I guess all the Mean Green fans who saw no value in going after Coach Sanders were right.  I mean no way could his price tag been justified by whatever he could accomplish here.  

It is beneath us to shoot for the moon and miss.  Let go with another young spread offensive guy, I mean we couldn't possibly go wrong with similar philosophy. 

I mean DATCU stadium is pack to see new team under Coach Morris, a P5 opponent and our debut in the American.

6E82DD85-70AF-4CA1-B931-91C8215DBBD8_1_201_a.pdf

Stadium vs Cal.jpeg.zip

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, Mike Jackson said:

So you don't try?  That is very inspiring to a casual fanbase who you are trying to make believe you are 100% committed to winning.   💤

Newsflash, NT has never been committed to winning. We’re just content to have a seat at the dinner table. Granted it’s the kids table…

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Newsflash, NT has never been committed to winning. We’re just content to have a seat at the dinner table. Granted it’s the kids table…

Yeah, I am seeing that now after over 20 years of support.  And I think I am done going to games until I see something that makes me believe they are committed to winning.  🤷🏽‍♂️.  Striving to be 0.500 at the kids table isn’t interesting.  Now that the university has sufficiently grown physically and academically since we leveled up to FBS we could go FCS for all I care now, especially with this realignment garbage.  FCS prices would be welcomed by my wallet and I would be more likely to go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

I welcome the eyeroller to say something.  I am former season ticket holder, alumni association member, and Denton native.  Please share your wisdom and how I am so wrong.  You like 48 point beatings at home and extending mediocre coaches?  Rah, Rah kitty table at 1/2 empty stadium.  This may likely be the beginning of the end of having a program that can host P5 schools.  Not from just bad coaching but our leadership's decisions being late or wrong 75% of the time.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I welcome the eyeroller to say something.  I am former season ticket holder, alumni association member, and Denton native.  Please share your wisdom and how I am so wrong.  You like 48 point beatings at home and extending mediocre coaches?  Rah, Rah kitty table at 1/2 empty stadium.  This may likely be the beginning of the end of having a program that can host P5 schools.  Not from just bad coaching but our leadership's decisions being late or wrong 75% of the time.  🤷🏽‍♂️

No, you are right.  Today is yet another example of why I believe we should blow up football and pour all of our money and NIL, donor support into basketball.  Thankfully I gave up spending money on football years ago because it basically was the same thing over and over.  Anyone that really though Morris was going to do anything different was drinking the koolaid.  This team will be lucky to win 3 games.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Yeah, I am seeing that now after over 20 years of support.  And I think I am done going to games until I see something that makes me believe they are committed to winning.  🤷🏽‍♂️.  Striving to be 0.500 at the kids table isn’t interesting.  Now that the university has sufficiently grown physically and academically since we leveled up to FBS we could go FCS for all I care now, especially with this realignment garbage.  FCS prices would be welcomed by my wallet and I would be more likely to go. 

Denton county is at a million people, with the University at 47,000 students, and tens of thousands of alumni in the DFW area and we still have never sold out our stadium of 30,000.  Why is that?  I contend because we roll out basically, the same product, year after year.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Denton county is at a million people, with the University at 47,000 students, and tens of thousands of alumni in the DFW area and we still have never sold out our stadium of 30,000.  Why is that?  I contend because we roll out basically, the same product, year after year.

I saw nothing today but a shit show! 💩💩

36 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

What exactly is the premise of this thread?  That it would be nice to have Deion Sanders as our coach, bringing all that talent to us instead of to Colorado?  Sure, I'd have to agree with that.

But he wasn't actually in our candidate pool.  Same with Kirby Smart and Dabo Swinney.

He is not Kirby Smart or Dabo Swinney yet and the premise/point is we didn't even try to.  That to me and probably many others speaks volumes about our program.  Coming from SDU, Harbaugh was a candidate here before he became too expensive to be in our candidate pool.  Dan McCarney was sitting at home available when we went cheap and hired Dodge.  Coach Sanders wasn't in Jackson State's candidate pool either.  And it would have cost the university nothing to fire Seth earlier in the season and publicly pursuit Coach Sanders.   He has a network in DFW area where he started coaching at the grass roots level.  No wonder how much money could’ve been raised if people believed we were serious about trying to get him.   Sanders has ticket sales incentives in his contract at Colorado.  He has no shortage of confidence.  So no telling what kind of incentives with our capacity for growth could we have dreamed up for him to come.  He knows his pull in this area, the football crazy market, and the ease he would have recruiting within driving distance of Denton.  No recruit is leaving DFW without at least pausing to consider playing under Coach Sanders where all his friends and family can see them in person.  He also could have seen North Texas as an easier and more comfortable stepping stone to whatever he envisions as his 10 year plus home to be.  That home isn't Colorado I think, unless he get a National Championship within 5 years. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson

4 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

we didn't even try to.

How do you know this?  During a typical coaching search, A.D.'s gauge several currently employed HC's to see if there is interest.  But they do it through their agents so no one outside of them knows who's been contacted.

And unless you personally were willing to step up with a few million dollars, I don't know how we could have beat out Colorado, just from a salary standpoint.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Welp, I guess all the Mean Green fans who saw no value in going after Coach Sanders were right.  I mean no way could his price tag been justified by whatever he could accomplish here.  

It is beneath us to shoot for the moon and miss.  Let go with another young spread offensive guy, I mean we couldn't possibly go wrong with similar philosophy. 

I mean DATCU stadium is pack to see new team under Coach Morris, a P5 opponent and our debut in the American.

6E82DD85-70AF-4CA1-B931-91C8215DBBD8_1_201_a.pdf 3.21 MB · 4 downloads

Stadium vs Cal.jpeg.zip 3.21 MB · 2 downloads

Coach Sanders is also a spread guy. Have you watched his offense? Stay home, don’t support the program and just spew your disdain when things don’t go your way. Would you be happy had we opened with Northwestern State and won by 21+?    Oh, and I did t eye roll you. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

I’d like to say I’m very upset with my son (who is 9) for not taking the captain of Argyle High School’s cheerleading team to prom last year.  

I mean, he DIDN’T EVEN TRY!!

Now there is a post that requires an eye roll.  Nice use of family to demonstrate how little you think of UNT Football.  That really says Go Mean Green. 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Coach Sanders is also a spread guy. Have you watched his offense? Stay home, don’t support the program and just spew your disdain when things don’t go your way. Would you be happy had we opened with Northwestern State and won by 21+?    Oh, and I did t eye roll you. 

And I appreciate the bravery. I would be ambivalent to a win vs FCS as any fan of a functional FBS fan should be looking at the money spent on it.  This was never about just this game result.  This is 25 years of mostly frustration.  It is also over 12 years of reading defenses of poor effort and bad decision by the leaders of this program.  My disdain isn't the problem because I am not the decision maker.  It the disdain of people who spend a lot more money than me on the program that particularly vexing to me. 

I will show up to one more game this season and it is like this one and will be done for the season.  That game was four hours without stoping the clock for first downs.  They are cutting the playing time in favor of Starbuck commercials.  I am almost for forfeiting the rest of the games so we can practice for next years opener.

BTW please never ever schedule SMUT in football again.  They are smarter than we are.  They love to pound use in football but disappear when Basketball season starts.   

Prime was a finalist for the TCU job the year that Dykes was hired. I really like him, but I just don't think it was feasible. I don't think we could have offered the funds that he wanted either. Does it suck we got our tails kicked tonight? Yes

Are the next 4 games winnable? Yes

We need to see improvement these next few weeks, and it's clear the roster has a few holes in it. Let's hope this staff keeps hitting DFW and the transfer portal hard. 

Edited by jtm0097

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

That home isn't Colorado I think, unless he get a National Championship within 5 years. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I wouldn't predict it, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he's playing for a National Title within five years at Colorado.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

but I just don't think it was feasible. I don't think we could have offered the funds that he wanted either.

Okay, so again why do it out in the open and get turned down?  What definitely isn't feasible is doing things the way a P5 does to get a P5 ready head coach like Prime. You don't know what you can do until you actually try. We kept Seth all last season FOR NOTHING except striving to be mediocre, and reinforcing the perception that  mediocre is good enough for UNT Football.   

I believe it is that way because most don't really care from the suites to the wing.

8 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Okay, so again why do it out in the open and get turned down?  What definitely isn't feasible is doing things the way a P5 does to get a P5 ready head coach like Prime. You don't know what you can do until you actually try. We kept Seth all last season FOR NOTHING except striving to be mediocre, and reinforcing the perception that  mediocre is good enough for UNT Football.   

I believe it is that way because most don't really care from the suites to the wing.

If we did offer him the job and he rejected us, why would it have mattered? I'm not trying to rude, but I don't understand what that would have accomplished by offering a coach a job who had no interest in coming here. In 2006 Jimbo Fisher and Jim Harbaugh were finalists for the job. We went with Todd Dodge and the program suffered as a result.