Well I Guess They Were All Right

Mike Jackson

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

I'm not trying to rude, but I don't understand what that would have accomplished by offering a coach a job who had no interest in coming here

Maybe read and digest.  You can definitely disagree with the premise.  

First neither you or I know if Sanders had no interest. (The doubt of him coming is a symptom of precisely the mindset we need to chance to change the perception of our program imo.)  He likely isn't but you cannot make a legitimate public offer to get him here if you haven't fired Seth.  So that 0.1% chance of getting him is absolutely 0% if you don't try

Second, it was never just about him coming.  It the publicity of making a serious offer.  Publicity that tells the DFW market we are trying to win.  UTSA went out and hired Larry Coker.  That is 2001 National Champion Head Coach Larry Coker.  Larry Coker didn't work out for them but the hire said loudly "we don't just want to have FBS football" we want great football.  That is what they told the San Antonio LONGHORN market as a UT Austin "satellite UT school" (We are the FLAGSHIP of  a University System btw). UTSA could easily hired a cheaper option, an exciting up and coming coach with coordinator experience at a P5 school.  Nobody would have blamed them or been skeptical of a more conservative hire.  A school without a program or stadium had the audacity to contact a head coach won a FBS championship as head coach.  We held on to a mediocre coach the entire season.    Their mindset got them 0 in 2011 to kicking our ass in our conference rivalry series and 2 CUSA titles.

Third there is no downside of making an offer, getting social media talking about it and getting turned down.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

UTSA went out and hired Larry Coker.  

Actually, they were looking through those who had submitted resumes, or applications, or whatever coaches submit, and were shocked to see Larry Coker's name in there.  It was not any bold action on the part of UTSA, he just fell into their laps.

As far as "cheap," I'm pretty sure we were always paying our HC more during the time Coker was at UTSA.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

So you don't try?  That is very inspiring to a casual fanbase who you are trying to make believe you are 100% committed to winning.   💤

RV interviewed Harbaugh, I don’t remember how inspiring it was. He ended up at Stanford instead. 

Deion wasn’t going anywhere short of the P5 because that is where his players like Travis Hunter wanted to be. He uses his notoriety to build rosters of superior talent. It remains to be seen how well he can coach x’s and o’s head to head with a roster as good as his. He almost lost to a Quintin Johnston-less TCU. Chandler Morris was trying to help them out with his turnovers as well.

• Upvote 1

I get what Mike is trying to say but there was no way Deion was coming here. He wasn’t going anywhere less than a P5 school.  P5 gives him unlimited resources to do what he needs. Remember he just came from Jackson St whose athletic budget probably rivals UNT. Sanders is pretty damn smart and knows money & exposure brings you talent. Both of which UNT won’t offer him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

Remember he just came from Jackson St whose athletic budget probably rivals UNT.

I don’t think that is true but it is absolutely embarrassing if it and turns my flippant frustrated proclamation that we should drop to FCS now a serious one.  A half empty 30k stadium is not feasible going forward into whatever FBS turns into.  We are wasting time and money.  The longer we do that the worse the impact will be to the other sports I assume we still want to play after the football program is force to scale down. 

The impression among all my friends, family, coworkers, with no attachment to UNT athletics is that we don’t try hard.  No regular good coach is going to change that. You literally will have to catch lightning in a bottle and keep that coach around a few years (at least 5).  You can’t fire every coach of the last 25 years due to bad performance and continuously hire conservatively.  This is running fans off.  

Edited by Mike Jackson

9 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Maybe read and digest.  You can definitely disagree with the premise.  

First neither you or I know if Sanders had no interest. (The doubt of him coming is a symptom of precisely the mindset we need to chance to change the perception of our program imo.)  He likely isn't but you cannot make a legitimate public offer to get him here if you haven't fired Seth.  So that 0.1% chance of getting him is absolutely 0% if you don't try

Second, it was never just about him coming.  It the publicity of making a serious offer.  Publicity that tells the DFW market we are trying to win.  UTSA went out and hired Larry Coker.  That is 2001 National Champion Head Coach Larry Coker.  Larry Coker didn't work out for them but the hire said loudly "we don't just want to have FBS football" we want great football.  That is what they told the San Antonio LONGHORN market as a UT Austin "satellite UT school" (We are the FLAGSHIP of  a University System btw). UTSA could easily hired a cheaper option, an exciting up and coming coach with coordinator experience at a P5 school.  Nobody would have blamed them or been skeptical of a more conservative hire.  A school without a program or stadium had the audacity to contact a head coach won a FBS championship as head coach.  We held on to a mediocre coach the entire season.    Their mindset got them 0 in 2011 to kicking our ass in our conference rivalry series and 2 CUSA titles.

Third there is no downside of making an offer, getting social media talking about it and getting turned down.  

Ok, thanks for adding more context to your post. Not that it matters now, but I wish the DRC or some other media outlet have posted a list of finalists for the job (similar to 2006 and 2015). However, with that being said, Morris is the guy. We need to all get behind him for better or worse right now. It's been 1 game and we have a lot of work to do. Our next 5 games are winnable (FIU, La Tech, ACU, Navy, and Temple). If we don't see improvement, I will be concerned.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Ok, thanks for adding more context to your post. Not that it matters now, but I wish the DRC or some other media outlet have posted a list of finalists for the job (similar to 2006 and 2015). However, with that being said, Morris is the guy. We need to all get behind him for better or worse right now. It's been 1 game and we have a lot of work to do. Our next 5 games are winnable (FIU, La Tech, ACU, Navy, and Temple). If we don't see improvement, I will be concerned.

I am done for the season minimally by next game if I don’t  see huge improvement.  People in my social circle have the strong impression we don’t try.  Gave up my season tickets cause I rarely could get anyone to come with me or give them away confidently they would go and stay into the 3rd quarter.  And I have no longer ANYTHING to refute that impression. That is painful after over 20 years.  I don’t understand what they are doing or why people are donating money to the crap show that on its best days since firing Dickey were achieving mediocre.  Maybe part of the reason Wren Baker left was because he couldn't do things like fire Seth after the his last bowl loss or fire Tony Benford his first day on the job. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I am done for the season minimally by next game if I don’t  see huge improvement.  People in my social circle have the strong impression we don’t try.  Gave up my season tickets cause I rarely could get anyone to come with me or give them away confidently they would go and stay into the 3rd quarter.  And I have no longer ANYTHING to refute that impression. That is painful after over 20 years.  I don’t understand what they are doing or why people are donating money to the crap show that on its best days since firing Dickey were achieving mediocre.  Maybe part of the reason Wren Baker left was because he couldn't do things like fire Seth after the his last bowl loss or fire Tony Benford his first day on the job. 

I'm there with you. I have donated in the past. I quit when it was clear SL was coasting and everyone seemed fine with it. 

Donating blindly is a bad investment. I take all my other investments very seriously. I look at this no different. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

15 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don’t understand what they are doing or why people are donating money to the crap show that on its best days since firing Dickey were achieving mediocre. 

Some of us love the CFB sport, are surrounded by friends who love the CFB sport, and desperately want to love on the school we graduated from.  Contrary to a ton of other Texans, we do not want to become T-shirt Longhorn fans.

• Upvote 1