AAC not interested in Oregon State or Washington State.

Arkstfan

Fairly laughable comments in here by some re: Washington St and Oregon St. How on earth would they not be additive to MWC? How will they not be at the top of the MWC, ahead of the likes of SDSU, Boise, Fresno, AFA, Wyo? If added, they're arguably as strong as the version of AAC before us joining. I don't think some of you truly follow college football (esp on the west coast) like you think you do.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

No MAC exercised option in the agreement where they invited UMass as a full member, if they declined, automatic kick out.

MAC only invited UMass to balance out football only Temple. Once the Owls left, MAC had no interest in a football only UMass. All or nothing. UMass opted for nothing over playing basketball in the MAC.

Thanks for the information! Thoughts on U Conn football only?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MDH said:

Fairly laughable comments in here by some re: Washington St and Oregon St. How on earth would they not be additive to MWC? How will they not be at the top of the MWC, ahead of the likes of SDSU, Boise, Fresno, AFA, Wyo? If added, they're arguably as strong as the version of AAC before us joining. I don't think some of you truly follow college football (esp on the west coast) like you think you do.

Something talked a ton about: the money and resources that would be afforded to us if we were in P5
Something not talked about: the money and resources WS/OS will lack once they aren't P5.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

MWC isn't coming to Texas. They have a nice tidy 14. If they do anything it will be make another run at Gonzaga now that Washington State is in.

Why not just a full merger between the AAC -MWC?   26 schools?   No more worry about poaching or expansion.  Keep the Conference format as divisions and play a Championship game.  Our own Super Conference.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

People that are saying this isn't a big deal forget that if the MWC takes the PAC name they will have written autonomy and a piece of the CFP money by name. Those things will need to be voted out for them to lose it, and the process of that is difficult and unclear. 

Another possibility is that the PAC intends to poach who they like, if they have found a suitable media deal. We don't know what Luck has been working on, but I would guess they have a few scenarios worked out and now that Cal/Stan have left they will proceed with those. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

Did Washington State and Oregon State pop to the top of mind when folks mentioned the PAC?  Not really -- they're in the same spot Rice or SMU was back in the SWC days.  Members, but not the starpower of the league.

If OS/WS can't bring the PAC name with them, they're just another set of mid-sized regional colleges on the level of UNT or Georgia State.  I'm not sure they really move the needle that much.

That's not saying I won't welcome them to the AAC, or that UNT shouldn't try to get into the PACx if it survives.  I'm just saying that they aren't UCLA, and it shows.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Well guys, just another day at the office for UNT fans.  So today we go 0-2, losing out on SMU and also the Pac 2.  After tomorrow I am guessing we will be 0-3?

Oof. Easy, man. 

But yeah, 0 for 1 on the not landing the pac2. This will be a big blow as the MWC will undoubtedly be the premiere G5 conference and lock into the playoff year after year in the new 12 team format. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

Did Washington State and Oregon State pop to the top of mind when folks mentioned the PAC?  Not really -- they're in the same spot Rice or SMU was back in the SWC days.  Members, but not the starpower of the league.

If OS/WS can't bring the PAC name with them, they're just another set of mid-sized regional colleges on the level of UNT or Georgia State.  I'm not sure they really move the needle that much.

That's not saying I won't welcome them to the AAC, or that UNT shouldn't try to get into the PACx if it survives.  I'm just saying that they aren't UCLA, and it shows.

Their facilties, fan base, donor levels, ticket sales dwarf anything that the AAC currently has...particularly OSU. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Their facilties, fan base, donor levels, ticket sales dwarf anything that the AAC currently has...particularly OSU. 

This. Is this just some type of damage control by posters here? Getting those 2 would have been a huge plus for the AAC, and a possible path to scrape the top of the MWC and become even stronger. People can't be this unaware right? 

2 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

This. Is this just some type of damage control by posters here? Getting those 2 would have been a huge plus for the AAC, and a possible path to scrape the top of the MWC and become even stronger. People can't be this unaware right? 

People are. But it's probably also a coping mechanism that is ingrained into UNT fans. The ole beaten wife syndrome rearing its ugly head. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, wardly said:

Thanks for the information! Thoughts on U Conn football only?

Why?

You want crappy football at least get someone who can play decent basketball too. UConn had AAC membership and made the calculation that Big East was a better fit for the sports Big East sponsors. The AAC membership said all or nuthin and they took nothing. 

I don't think Army will accept but that's the first call. Army last year 1/3rd of their schedule was Sun Belt and 1/2 their losses were to Sun Belt. They've sort of figured out a niche. They understand the bowl oversupply means they're going to find a slot. CBSSN gives them love. 

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They are like Boise, and Boise's value hasn't done anything for them either in expansion.  It's all about media market now, that's it.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Why not just a full merger between the AAC -MWC?   26 schools?   No more worry about poaching or expansion.  Keep the Conference format as divisions and play a Championship game.  Our own Super Conference.

WAC 16 collapsed when it was figured out that MWC8 could make almost the same amount in TV as WAC16 but split fewer ways.

SWC died when it was figured out that Big 8+4 had the same TV value as Big 8+SWC.

AAC merging with MWC takes money out of your mouth and sends it to San Jose unless the Pac-2 really boost the income.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

People that are saying this isn't a big deal forget that if the MWC takes the PAC name they will have written autonomy and a piece of the CFP money by name. Those things will need to be voted out for them to lose it, and the process of that is difficult and unclear. 

This is changing. Bank on it. SEC/B10 just have to say “change this or we are breaking away right now” and it will get changed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

This assumes the “G5” slot in the playoffs is even still a thing.

It likely will be. All renegotiated CFP talk I've seen from media sources still includes that +1 "G5" spot. I think the powers know if they close off the "G5" completely,  they're closing off a good third of college football viewership which isn't good for business.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

The process isn't as easy as just saying make it happen.

Oh, I think it will be. They’ll throw their weight around and it’ll get changed.

12 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

All renegotiated CFP talk I've seen from media sources still includes that +1 "G5" spot. I think the powers know if they close off the "G5" completely

I think it stays for now… But the SEC has pretty much already said they want it to be the Top 12 ranked teams no matter what.

• Upvote 1