ACC officially invites Cal, Stanford and SMU

Cougar King

7 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

UH and Cincy and UCF got a great deal.  So what?  That deal wasn't available.  Should we just give up because we can't get the UH deal?  This deal was available and it was worth it.  

The ACC is desperate to stay above 14 teams. Maybe a terrible deal wasn't the best SMU could have reached.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

for now, you get that vote.  Time for SMU to start winning some hardware.

I think way too much is being made about this money.  Maybe they're right?

You've never had a problem with money before, and you still couldn't win consistently.  But maybe this is the answer?  Your NIL endeavor hasn't blossomed yet.  I just read someone post that it may actually be bottoming out.

I don't think enough is being made about how the world will perceive a bottom dweller in the ACC/BXII upon the next shuffle.  If we, or anyone as a MWC/AAC member, can plant our roots where we stand and grow, what will our brand look like in 5-10 years compared to SMU?  What will our fanbase look like compared to SMU?  We are one coaching hire away (is Morris the answer?) from matching y'all on the field.   And, unlike y'all, we can grow our fanbase.  I"m not convinced - especially given how this unfolded - that simply being in the ACC defaults you ahead of a top-tier AAC/MWC brand for a potential P2 invitation.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

You've never had a problem with money before, and you still couldn't win consistently.  But maybe this is the answer?  Your NIL endeavor hasn't blossomed yet.  I just read someone post that it may actually be bottoming out.

I don't think enough is being made about how the world will perceive a bottom dweller in the ACC/BXII upon the next shuffle.  If we, or anyone as a MWC/AAC member, can plant our roots where we stand and grow, what will our brand look like in 5-10 years compared to SMU?  What will our fanbase look like compared to SMU?  We are one coaching hire away (is Morris the answer?) from matching y'all on the field.   And, unlike y'all, we can grow our fanbase.  I"m not convinced - especially given how this unfolded - that simply being in the ACC defaults you ahead of a top-tier AAC/MWC brand for a potential P2 invitation.

Good thoughts and I agree

26 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Time to start winning?  Yes. Absolutely. Can't screw it up or it's a waste 

We have been winning. Not as much as we need to, but the last 5 years have been good winning records in the AAC.  The substantially harder AAC with Cincy UCF and Houston in it.  

This is the first season of real NIL affect. The first round went to defending our roster from Dykes poaching to TCU and very little new added. 

The second round was a mass upgrade across the board.  This year will tell the story on if that strategy is viable.  I think it will be.

A loss to OU or TCU is reasonable. Any loss in conference will be indicative of a major problem.

• Downvote 3

34 minutes ago, greenminer said:

And sorry, but from experience, you are not just a coach away.  The most important thing is the hardest - admin support, athlete support on campus, funding for assistant coaches and staff, etc.  These are the invisible things that took 10+ years at SMU to fix even after we decided to start trying. Not to mention NIL.  That's why Traylor at UTSA is good but there's a hard ceiling no coach can get past.  Those are the things to demand your admin support and implement. 

If beating the worst teams was enough Boise wouldn't be in the MWC. Nobody gives credit for beating Charlotte 

• Downvote 2

SMU is getting their wish, for better or worse.

The two reality checks are going to be:

1) there's no more complaining about how the conference is holding them back from winning if they don't get there (although I wouldn't be shocked to see the goal posts moved to "If we were just in the Big Ten!").

2) Beyond hosting Clemson, Florida State, and maybe Miami, I doubt there's much change to how full the stadium gets. They need to market in a way they never have before, because people aren't going to just start showing up to watch Duke or Georgia Tech or to see the ACC badge.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

UH and Cincy and UCF got a great deal.  So what?  That deal wasn't available.  Should we just give up because we can't get the UH deal?  This deal was available and it was worth it.  

Still reeks of the little kid nobody wants to play with so his parents pay the other kids. You all are too caught up in yourselves to not even realize how bad this looks. Good riddance, now go away. I will enjoy watching you all dangling in the wind when the ACC implodes in the coming years. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Time to start winning?  Yes. Absolutely. Can't screw it up or it's a waste 

We have been winning. Not as much as we need to, but the last 5 years have been good winning records in the AAC.  The substantially harder AAC with Cincy UCF and Houston in it.  

This is the first season of real NIL affect. The first round went to defending our roster from Dykes poaching to TCU and very little new added. 

The second round was a mass upgrade across the board.  This year will tell the story on if that strategy is viable.  I think it will be.

A loss to OU or TCU is reasonable. Any loss in conference will be indicative of a major problem.

Your road next year will be a LOT more difficult playing in the ACC.   You will be lucky to finish .500 in conference.  Be careful what you ask for, lol!   2-3 years of poor football in the ACC you'll be labeled a bust by them.

37 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

And sorry, but from experience, you are not just a coach away.  The most important thing is the hardest - admin support, athlete support on campus, funding for assistant coaches and staff, etc.  These are the invisible things that took 10+ years at SMU to fix even after we decided to start trying. Not to mention NIL.  That's why Traylor at UTSA is good but there's a hard ceiling no coach can get past.  Those are the things to demand your admin support and implement. 

If beating the worst teams was enough Boise wouldn't be in the MWC. Nobody gives credit for beating Charlotte 

We started investing about 10 years ago, right?  We are literally on your heels, having just joined you in the AAC.

It took a PAC12 disaster for you to claim a higher conference.  Sorry, you are not that far ahead of us.  Get off your high horse.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

Oh, so we are talking about meriticracy? Who have you beat? TCU, once? That got their coach fired and yours stolen. Smu couldn't win the AAC. Did smu even play in the aac title game? 

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

This makes sense to me... At least from a "we're not losing anything" argument

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Excellent. Finally our spot in a P3 conference.  

Good thing that TCU game is rolling off the schedule. Is does nothing for SMU to play an OOC game against a lower conference.

Big 12 > ACC

Outside of Clemson and Fla St, the conference is very average.  That being said, I think SMU can be competitive.  No reason they can’t play with Duke, Virginia, NC St, GaTech, Louisville, VaTech, etc.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, NT93 said:

Big 12 > ACC

Outside of Clemson and Fla St, the conference is very average.  That being said, I think SMU can be competitive.  No reason they can’t play with Duke, Virginia, NC St, GaTech, Louisville, VaTech, etc.  

Smut won't survive that schedule.  Looking forward to seeing their 3-9 records.  Laughing at them all year!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NT93 said:

Big 12 > ACC

33 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Smut won't survive that schedule.  Looking forward to seeing their 3-9 records.  Laughing at them all year!

You think more highly of the ACC than I do.  I expect SMU to be middle of the pack next year.  I hope you’re right though.  3-9 would be so awesome.