Just hours after UNT kicked SMU’s arse, SMU would make decisions that few knew then would basically take amateurism completely out of NCAA FBS football.

PlummMeanGreen

North Texas had so embarrassed SMU in this matchup as seen below in the video that SMU began using some of their techniques which reminded many  of their Death Penalty years; that is, of buying success instead of doing it the old fashioned way—-earning it without buying it.  

Who knew that MBU (Moneybags U) would soon play a big part in a new “Playing For Dollars” NCAA.  

Post their huge loss to UNT, SMU powers would soon meet & had to be thinking: “These guys come to University Park next Fall & we cannot afford to have a repeat “non-performance” of the disaster which took place up in Denton.”  They had a plan to insure that would not happen again. 

So…..•••SMU started proselyting other schools football players.  TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech & UH got protective of their own star players once SMU’s methods became known to all. And SMU wonders why there is no interest for their style in the Big 12?   “Hell, we let SMU in the Big 12 & they’ll start stealing our players, too, & telling recruits that only country bumpkins go to schools like the ones in Fort Worth, Waco, Lubbock & off Cullen Blvd., Houston.” 

•••Henceforth, SMU from now on (or until the NCAA rules committee regains their ever-loving sanity) the Mighty Mustangs would spend “whatever it took” to all but replace the team that embarrassed all of University Park at UNT’’s Apogee Stadium that particular September evening in 2018. 

Later, SMU football letterman Garry Webber suggested to the SMU kingpins probably saying something like:  “Hey!  There are zero NCAA FBS schools with 30,000’ish sized stadiums garnering any expansion interest at any P5 conferences so here’s $50M toward getting that end zone expansion started.”  

🦅•••••••••••••••••••••🐻
See some of y’all at the Cal Bears/Mean Green game at DATCU Stadium.
*This will be ‘Grandpa’s’ 53’rd Mean Green home season opener vs the PAC12’s CAL Bears.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to Just hours after UNT kicked SMU’s arse, SMU would make decisions that few knew then would basically take amateurism completely out of NCAA FBS football.
8 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

This forum's obsession with SMU is beyond creepy.

At least A$M's obsession with UT makes sense because the feeling is mutual and they talk about each other in their fight songs.

There's a few habitual offenders. Most don't care about SMU anymore than they do any other program.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

There's a few habitual offenders. Most don't care about SMU anymore than they do any other program.

I hate UTSA way more than I do SMU.

It's a one sided rivalry that a bunch of older fans care more about than they should. Might change if we're ever competitive with them but as of now I don't really care

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

A lot of rivalries are one-sided, especially in DFW.

Some may say SMU thinks we are an afterthought.  Part of me, however, sees how much they HATE having to be associate with us.
TCU will not give 0.02 to SMU
No one in the BXII is considered a rival with TCU

...I personally think there is a ton of history and potential already with SMU, and they are the ones I love to hate, but they are so laser focused on whoring themselves up to the top of the food chain, they don't pay attention to the teams that are trying to grow with them.  Until they plant their roots and decide to work with the teams around them, I don't think this "rivalry" will hit its true potential.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

A lot of rivalries are one-sided, especially in DFW.

Some may say SMU thinks we are an afterthought.  Part of me, however, sees how much they HATE having to be associate with us.
TCU will not give 0.02 to SMU
No one in the BXII is considered a rival with TCU

...I personally think there is a ton of history and potential already with SMU, and they are the ones I love to hate, but they are so laser focused on whoring themselves up to the top of the food chain, they don't pay attention to the teams that are trying to grow with them.  Until they plant their roots and decide to work with the teams around them, I don't think this "rivalry" will hit its true potential.

Well said.

45 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I hate UTSA way more than I do SMU.

It's a one sided rivalry that a bunch of older fans care more about than they should. Might change if we're ever competitive with them but as of now I don't really care

Now UTSA-UNT is somewhat of a rivalry although it seems that UTSA's true rival is Texas State.

6 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Do North Texas fans post on the SMU or U of Houston fan site the way SMU and Houston fans post on GOMEANGREEN.com ?  Maybe we do.  I don’t read the SMU or Houston sites, and I’m not going to start, so I wouldn’t know.  

GO MEAN GREEN

Generally, no. We don't go over there very often, if ever. 

I will say, smu is everything that we should dislike and everything that manifests a bittter rivalry. Also, to hell with utsa. 

Side note: usf is really, really, really annoying. I love they are awful in everything. Except women's basketball, as one usf X user vehemently explained to me. But, they are definitely the most disliked group from a social media standpoint and for very good reason. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Do North Texas fans post on the SMU or U of Houston fan site the way SMU and Houston fans post on GOMEANGREEN.com ?  Maybe we do.  I don’t read the SMU or Houston sites, and I’m not going to start, so I wouldn’t know.  

GO MEAN GREEN

no they don't.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Generally, no. We don't go over there very often, if ever. 

I will say, smu is everything that we should dislike and everything that manifests a bittter rivalry. Also, to hell with utsa. 

Side note: usf is really, really, really annoying. I love they are awful in everything. Except women's basketball, as one usf X user vehemently explained to me. But, they are definitely the most disliked group from a social media standpoint and for very good reason. 

The thing with SMU, in my experience, is they aren't any more arrogant than any other fanbase. They have money and they know it but that's somewhat the end of it. I went to Ford for the SMU UNT game in 2019 and sat amongst the pony fans while wearing a UNT shirt. We got clobbered and nobody gave me any crap at any point during the game. I think there were some playful jabs with one fan but when I left, there was a mutual "good game" and that was it.

I have limited experience with UTSA fans. I will say, I never quite got over the 2013 game. That season may have had our most recent bowl win but after the Rice game, it felt nobody in the conference could stop us. We had a close loss to Tulane and a loss in poor weather against UTSA in a game that the players just didn't seem to really be mentally prepared for. Didn't help that their players went back and forth with the student section giving UNT fans crap but it is what it is. Maybe deserved for the crap we gave Rice players and staff a few weeks prior. I think the hatred for UTSA stems from a bit of jealousy by our fanbase. They arrived on scene, were somewhat gifted a place in CUSA, prevented us from making the CUSA championship game in our first year in CUSA, and followed that up with a successful first 10 years of their program being around.

USF definitely seems to have the potential to be the most hated. Just looking through social media, they seem worst than SMU fans.

If we get to spend the next 5 years in the AAC with SMU and USF, all of this will likely change. It's hard to hate SMU when you've never played them for conference games. The early season matchups really mean little. If we start winning a couple big conference games, the rivalry will become real.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2023 at 10:11 AM, Cougar King said:

Now UTSA-UNT is somewhat of a rivalry although it seems that UTSA's true rival is Texas State.

Might be. I think both fanbases are somewhat hesitant to say it's a rivalry for whatever reason. UTSA-Texas State has more geographical/historical relevance, but the last 10 years? UTSA has been our best rival bar none. There's mutual hatred, the series is even with close games most of the time, and a lot of the times it's been a game of importance.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Might be. I think both fanbases are somewhat hesitant to say it's a rivalry for whatever reason. UTSA-Texas State has more geographical/historical relevance, but the last 10 years? UTSA has been our best rival bar none. There's mutual hatred, the series is even with close games most of the time, and a lot of the times it's been a game of importance.

From what I've seen on social media and messages boards (far from official), I think most UTSA fans consider us their main rival.