Our QB? Just over 3 weeks left

10 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Watch half (or more of the 1’st quarter (or more)  of ULM vs TEXAS in their 2022 season season opener & I think we’ll all get a good idea why the Mean Green got a good portal transfer with Mr. Chandler Rogers.

(From the LH Network)

FILL IT vs the CAL BEARS!  

IMG_9033.jpeg.42d39d8bea60fe2dd1aa57b893bcf0d8.jpeg

UTSA game will have the highest attendance 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

50 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Watch half (or more of the 1’st quarter (or more)  of ULM vs TEXAS in their 2022 season season opener & I think we’ll all get a good idea why the Mean Green got a good portal transfer with Mr. Chandler Rogers.

(From the LH Network)

Rodgers looks elite in this game with a significant talent difference.  I think it has to be Rodgers 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

(From the LH Network)

35 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Rodgers looks elite in this game with a significant talent difference.  I think it has to be Rodgers 

Forgive me but I don’t see anything in that Texas game that looks any better than what Austin Aune and Stone Earle showed last season. Where is the part that makes Chandler Rogers (not Aaron Rodgers) elite and a good portal transfer?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

49 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Based off what

Based on the fact that the staff brought in Rogers off of game film to be THE guy. They get here and are starting to like what they see in person in Ruder during the Spring. They stop the crowning of Rogers as THE guy and let it bleed into the Fall so they can cross their T's and dot their I's. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Stone is a transfer 

The difference is that there was not a single transfer last year. It was intended to be a competition which is why Stone and JD Head were both signed. They even brought in Gunnel as the 3rd transfer qb of the class. Alec Morris, Jace Ruder, and now Chandler Rogers were the only quarterback in their respective transfer classes. Morris and Ruder both started game 1. If I were placing a wager, I’d put my money on Rogers continuing that trend regardless of who played best in spring or fall camp (unless Rogers had just been awful which wasn't the case).

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Kind of what I was thinking.....

If he's showing something this fall, then let's go. But I don't care if the best QB this year won't be here next year. Play the one that helps us win this year.....this year. This is a year by year thing....we'll worry about next year next year. Who's to say we can't challenge for the conference this year with a senior that puts us on a trajectory and gets us a super stud transfer next season...

Let's try to win as many games as we can this year....

Well said. Who is to say Rogers is the ceiling for transfer quarterbacks to UNT? If Ruder plays lights out, then that can help us land the next big thing.

Also, Ruder is not out of eligibility after this year. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Kind of what I was thinking.....

If he's showing something this fall, then let's go. But I don't care if the best QB this year won't be here next year. Play the one that helps us win this year.....this year. This is a year by year thing....we'll worry about next year next year. Who's to say we can't challenge for the conference this year with a senior that puts us on a trajectory and gets us a super stud transfer next season...

Let's try to win as many games as we can this year....

I get that mindset and for all positions across the board, I agree. Except QB. If you can have a good year followed by a great year out of your QB, you do that. Net QB play isn't something we can just assume. Now given we were just told Ruder has 2 years of eligibility, seems moot. Play your best. I still stand by if it's taken this long to name your guy with a transfer portal in the position group, it would leaning towards the already rostered player. That's just me though. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Based on the fact that the staff brought in Rogers off of game film to be THE guy. They get here and are starting to like what they see in person in Ruder during the Spring. They stop the crowning of Rogers as THE guy and let it bleed into the Fall so they can cross their T's and dot their I's. 

Ok, so based off nothing of substance.  Thanks 

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If it's truly a battle then that has to favor Ruder. 

If he's named starter fine, but we have nothing to go off of. That also doesn't bother me. What bothers me is how he played when he started. You could see what SL saw when he played, but you also saw inexperience. You saw a statue in the pocket. Maybe that's better.

But I'm hanging my hat on the guy with the starting QB name.

STONE 

EARLE

(I actually think it's gonna be Rogers)

Whoever it is, the success of the season does hang in the balance. I hope we don't do musical QB chairs chasing succuess like we did under SL. Pick the guy and stick with em through the season.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Forgive me but I don’t see anything in that Texas game that looks any better than what Austin Aune and Stone Earle showed last season. Where is the part that makes Chandler Rogers (not Aaron Rodgers) elite and a good portal transfer?

👨‍🦳OK!  I’m Old & I Do Ramble! (I’m not alone, though). 

UNT did not play anyone with near the talent of UT-Austin last Fall plus I’m not sure this thread was meant to pick the 2023 starting UNT QB, was it?  Some will tell us that in NCAA FBS level football you can never have enough talented QB’s on hand.  (Who is UTSA’s 2’nd string QB)?

I only have to look at some of our critical  fan base to understand why start-up programs can catch up to or pass a 100+ year football program.  We are not always the best judge or most astute experts of things relating to NCAA D1 athletics. (God Almighty, please don’t let UT-Arlington start their football program back up again). 

We have 2 or 3 college football geniuses on GMG who are still mad that A.D. Fry took us out of the Missouri Valley to go Independent. He did have a plan with that, but so few followers in Denton. (See the below 1973 photo of which I think there is a former Denton mayor or city councilman in it).
The Mighty Mo’!  I sometimes wonder if some of the critics ever bothered to check UNT’s cumulative record (especially in basketball) during those MVC “glory” years (sarc’).  It was truly nothing special to get all that worked up about.  

IMG_7031.jpeg.90964db5c62db7962754c1a26839258e.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

I'm rooting for Stone, just on the cool name alone, but assume the starter would be Rodgers based on what he did at ULM and he plays like previous Coach Morris QB starters. Seeing Ruder actually IN game, I'm not sure that he has the mental fortitude to be a starter, open to be wrong but he looked like a deer in headlights in the past.

• Upvote 3

Just based on what I observed of everyone's ability this spring, it should be Ruder.  Rogers will go at it very hard, and so will Earl. But if Ruder has his head on straight this year, he will be the starter. 

My main concern is that we have had so many WR's and TE transfer, all the QB's are essentially starting over (with a few exceptions) and need to connect with the new guys and get their rhythm down with them. This is why I am not all that impressed with the ULM/UT highlights regarding Rogers. He was throwing to a completely different set of receivers in that game. 

The most adaptable QB will prevail. Not the fastest, and not the one with the strongest arm.......it's the one that is the most adaptable. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

If he's named starter fine, but we have nothing to go off of. That also doesn't bother me. What bothers me is how he played when he started. You could see what SL saw when he played, but you also saw inexperience. You saw a statue in the pocket. Maybe that's better.

But I'm hanging my hat on the guy with the starting QB name.

STONE 

EARLE

(I actually think it's gonna be Rogers)

Whoever it is, the success of the season does hang in the balance. I hope we don't do musical QB chairs chasing succuess like we did under SL. Pick the guy and stick with em through the season.

I also think Stone Earle has the talent and mindset to start this season  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, eternalmtg said:

I'm rooting for Stone, just on the cool name alone, but assume the starter would be Rodgers based on what he did at ULM and he plays like previous Coach Morris QB starters. Seeing Ruder actually IN game, I'm not sure that he has the mental fortitude to be a starter, open to be wrong but he looked like a deer in headlights in the past.

This is where I'm staying as well.  Rooting for Stone, but think they give it to Morris unless someone else completely runs away with it.  Ruder looked great in the spring, but I have the same deer in the headlights concern from a few years ago as well.  I truly believe they're all getting better coaching/development and am hopeful that any of the 3 will be a pleasant surprise this year.    

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2023 at 6:51 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Watch half (or more of the 1’st quarter of ULM vs TEXAS in both their 2022 season opener & I think we’ll all get a good idea why the Mean Green got a good portal transfer with Mr. Chandler Rogers.

(From the LH Network)

Jesus Christ Rogers looked awful in this game, he showed glimpses but nothing points the dude should be anointed the starter. May the best man win! The pick six was hideous, dude couldn’t read a defense. He’s not a Bailey Zappe, I thought this video would get me excited it did the opposite.

Edited by GOMeanGO
  • Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

30 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

Jesus Christ Rogers looked awful in this game, he showed glimpses but nothing points the dude should be anointed the starter. May the best man win! The pick six was hideous, dude couldn’t read a defense. He’s not a Bailey Zappe, I thought this video would get me excited it did the opposite.

With all due respect, your QB evaluation seems very slanted and biased. You must have gone into this video looking to find fault, or you are not too good at understanding football. If you look at the pressure he was under, he played pretty well. 

• Upvote 1