Cal opens as a 7-point favorite at UNT

Jonnyeagle

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If I were a gambler, I would jump all over that right now for us to win. 

Serious question, why? 

The only way I feel more comfortable going into this game is IF more positive news about the QB play comes out in fall camp. 

• Upvote 4

1. I think the line will come down.

2. I think we have the better team.

3. If I am wrong about us being better, I don’t think they are a touchdown better. 

4. I think the heat will wear them down in the second half 

5. Just a hunch. 

• Upvote 2

Kudos for the positivity, i just wish there were more football reasons for the optimism. There’s still time for that but in fall camp we better be hearing more good offensive news. We’re gonna need 24 points to win this game. 

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

3. If I am wrong about us being better, I don’t think they are a touchdown better. 

5. Just a hunch. 

• Upvote 2

It's simply media bias of P5 vs G5.   Any P5 coming to Denton to open this season against NT with a new head coach would be a minimum 7 point favorite.    Cal has issues too, but they are labeled P5, so they must be better, right??  Lol

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

I'll take UNT and 7 points. Remember, Cal wanted Rogers too.

https://cal.rivals.com/news/qb-transfer-target-chandler-rogers-speaks-highly-of-cal-visit-mutual-fit

Cal is not an elite PAC program. Morris knows what Cal does, since he had to gameplan against them as the OC at Washington State (28-9 win). Plus, we have the advantage of them not knowing what we will do on offense or defense. And, the heat should be an advantage for our Mean Green. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

5. Just a hunch. 

Plus, Jon Wilner of the bayareanewsgroup picked cal for under 5 wins and  commented that the bears have to play N.Texas who won seven games last year. Bears playing with a new qb leaves little margin for error.

• Upvote 1

Really is an interesting match-up from a scouting perspective. Morris game planned for them last year and Bloesch coached a good chunk of our guys just last year as well. Assuming Cal's defense didn't undergo a complete scheme change, I think Morris has the advantage considering the turnover on our offensive two deep, notably at QB and TE. Still, Bloesch will have the inside track on returning players as it pertains to individual players' weaknesses although scheme and coaching can help mask or correct some of that. Morris's WSU offense threw for 343 in a win against Cal last year so he should do just fine in scheming for their defense.

Despite this game being between two programs who've only met once before, this figures to be as big if an out-of-conference chess match as you can find.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I think Cal will very much be looking ahead to the next week.  Their home opener is against a marquee opponent, Auburn.  They will see our game as just a warmup scrimmage game.

Yes but our former Associate Head Coach is now there and he will know a lot about us.  This is very concerning to me.  It gives them a huge tactical advantage .

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Yes but our former Associate Head Coach is now there and he will know a lot about us.  This is very concerning to me.  It gives them a huge tactical advantage .

We've had a LOT of turnover since he was here.   Especially with the playbook.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1