UNT RB LEGENDS

El Paso Eagle

51 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Eric Capper.  Longtime rally man in the AD.  He’s seen a whole lotta this thing since 2001. 

https://meangreensports.com/staff-directory/eric-capper/17

Thats what I thought at first but the fact that he said foursome and that the four combined to run for x amount of yards, touchdowns, and nfl seasons rather than saying threesome threw me off.

Man, what a photo.

Also, we are entering 20 years since Cobb's national rushing title, and 19 years since Jamario's rushing title.

Arguably the greatest 2 year run by two Mean Green individuals...ever.

They're already in the HOF, but I would be absolutely in support of publicly tipping our hat/honoring them on the 20 (25?) year anniversaries.

The new generation of fans, IMO, should absolutely know about Jamario's frosh year.  What an unreal season.  video game-like performance.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Dunbar: speed speed speed,,,and great vision.
Wilson: athletic. tough....everything but the kitchen sink-style of running.
Cobbs: timing-quickness and strong.  football IQ

And what I love saying about this group: all of them BLEED GREEN.

Great RB's I've witnessed @ NT.

Bobby Smith....very Cobbs-like in his style

Bernard Jackson.....very versatile....reminded me of Preston Pearson and/or Jeff Wilson in his style. Great vision.

Malcom Jones- very undersized (about 5'6" X 165) but very quick and deceptively strong....much like our current Q-Farrar.

Monty Moon- very quick and hard nosed. I can't remember him ever losing yardage on a run.

Darin Collins.... the best FB when we were running the wishbone. Very quick off the line and very strong runner.

Eric Pegram-fast slasher-type runner. You always thought he was going to the house when he got past the line of scrimmage, but I think he always got caught from behind.

Hut Alread- great football name. Very quick and strong runner.

JaQuay Wilburn- see Hut Alread above.

Patrick Cobbs....very quick and strong with great vision.

Jamario Thomas....deceptively fast and strong....and great vision. Rarely took a direct hit. A great threat to take it to the house on every run.

Honorable mentions..

Willie Cherry (#33 on your program , leading rusher in 1965-66). The ex-marine that was one of the toughest players I've ever seen. Probably no more than 5'8" X 165-70 lbs, but to borrow an old Darrell Royal line "he was a rolling ball of butcher knives". 

Carlen Charleston (#42 on your program, leading rusher and all-purpose yardage leader in 1981 )  at 5'5" X 155lbs, he was probably the quickest runner I ever saw at NT. And for his size, one of the strongest.  He ran the ball from scrimmage, caught passes, & returned kick-offs and punts. He had to wear the "off-the-shelf" jerseys that were made for much bigger players, so parts of his name on the back of his jersey hung off both sides of his shoulder pads. And part of his number was tucked down into his pants.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It’s was sarcasm. 

Reminds of the Stacy King quote after Michael Jordan scored 69 points in a game.  “I’ll always remember this as the night Michael Jordan and I combined for 70 points.”🤣🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Great RB's I've witnessed @ NT.

Bobby Smith....very Cobbs-like in his style

Bernard Jackson.....very versatile....reminded me of Preston Pearson and/or Jeff Wilson in his style. Great vision.

Malcom Jones- very undersized (about 5'6" X 165) but very quick and deceptively strong....much like our current Q-Farrar.

Monty Moon- very quick and hard nosed. I can't remember him ever losing yardage on a run.

Darin Collins.... the best FB when we were running the wishbone. Very quick off the line and very strong runner.

Eric Pegram-fast slasher-type runner. You always thought he was going to the house when he got past the line of scrimmage, but I think he always got caught from behind.

Hut Alread- great football name. Very quick and strong runner.

JaQuay Wilburn- see Hut Alread above.

Patrick Cobbs....very quick and strong with great vision.

Jamario Thomas....deceptively fast and strong....and great vision. Rarely took a direct hit. A great threat to take it to the house on every run.

Honorable mentions..

Willie Cherry (#33 on your program , leading rusher in 1965-66). The ex-marine that was one of the toughest players I've ever seen. Probably no more than 5'8" X 165-70 lbs, but to borrow an old Darrell Royal line "he was a rolling ball of butcher knives". 

Carlen Charleston (#42 on your program, leading rusher and all-purpose yardage leader in 1981 )  at 5'5" X 155lbs, he was probably the quickest runner I ever saw at NT. And for his size, one of the strongest.  He ran the ball from scrimmage, caught passes, & returned kick-offs and punts. He had to wear the "off-the-shelf" jerseys that were made for much bigger players, so parts of his name on the back of his jersey hung off both sides of his shoulder pads. And part of his number was tucked down into his pants.

Wilburn is very underrated. Stud RB on some bad teams. Put up big numbers for us at the time. Great dude too. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Wilburn is very underrated. Stud RB on some bad teams. Put up big numbers for us at the time. Great dude too. 

Dorky but almost all my passwords end in 34 because of JaQuay. Had big games even when he was the only offensive option. Underrated for sure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1