Officially Announced: GM the HC for TTU

Travis

1 minute ago, DentonLurker said:

Yeah right! I get it. You’re disappointed he’s leaving. I am too. But he’s the exact opposite of classless.

I’m not disappointed at all. And I sincerely appreciate what he accomplished at North Texas. 
And I sincerely wish him the best. 
Just think he could have waited until their press conference to show his excitement. It hasn’t even been 24 hours since winning the NIT. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, meanrob said:

Not disappointed? You called him a fraud and classless. 

I am not disappointed in him leaving. 
I am disappointed in his lack of courtesy to a University and a fan base, though small, that stood with him for six years by exiting so fast he couldn’t even wait 24 hours after winning a championship before slamming the door in their faces. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

Very thankful for what he did for us. He took us to a height that those of us in the Pit Crew only dreamed about 15 years ago. 

I do wish he at least gave us the weekend, but it is what it is.

I look forward to the day when we’re considered a top job. Seems closer today than it did a couple years ago. 

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Entertaining thread.

Did some of you guys expect him to wear a UNT shirt to Tech?

He has to put on the appearance that he is excited to be at Tech (which I’m sure he is). That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t care for UNT.  I’m sure there’s a part of him that wishes he were staying.  I feel certain that he wishes he had another week or two in Denton to celebrate with the team and staff.  Unfortunately for him (and us) that’s not the way it worked out.

I don’t see how you could have hard feelings for a coach who gave us everything he had and took our university to heights it’s never known.  

I git mad about this discussion initially.  And then I thought better.  How awesome is it to have a coach we didn’t want to lose?  I mean holy shit I’v been wishing Littrell would be gone for 3-4 years and Mac before that and Tony Benford before that and you get my point.  When my wife divorced me I wanted her back and still do to this day.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How was he disrespectful?

These folks get mad that Grant goes to work in Lubbock on day 1 yet they get mad when people hired here don’t change their twitter profile fast enough. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Lack of courtesy? There are coaches out there that would’ve quit before the quarterfinal matchup against Oklahoma State. Get out of here with that courtesy nonsense. He had the courtesy to finish the job and bring us a championship. His job coaching the Mean Green ended with that final buzzer.

Technically he was contractually obligated to cut down the net. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I git mad about this discussion initially.  And then I thought better.  How awesome is it to have a coach we didn’t want to lose?  I mean holy shit I’v been wishing Littrell would be gone for 3-4 years and Mac before that and Tony Benford before that and you get my point.  When my wife divorced me I wanted her back and still do to this day.

The simple fact is that things like this are a sign of good things from our program. While it sucks, it is what it is and still is a positive sign. 
if we want to be big dogs then we need to have the support to show it from our fans and alumni. But these steps (no matter how small) are what helps get us there.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

That is what I had seen posted a few weeks ago. What is the amount?

"McCasland has a $750,000 buyout in his contract. "

https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/grant-mccasland-leaving-unt-for-texas-tech-following-win-in-nit/article_a3f3677c-7c9c-5ea9-bdc3-034f97eb4695.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

• Thanks 1

Y'all are ridiculous.  If I was given $3M/year you better believe I'd sign and announce it as soon as humanly possible.  You never know what might happen if you delay..stranger things have happened.   If it fell through you think he could take solace in the fact that he didn't upset some fans who wished he waited 3 days instead of 1?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTRedRaider91 said:

Hey Guys, 

Figured I would pop over here given the official announcement today. First of all, I have a degrees from both Tech and UNT (undergrad at Tech) so I have ties to both universities. For athletics, I support Tech because it is simply a bigger athletics program that plays in a much bigger conference and it's where I did my undergrad which is more special to me than my masters.  

I understand why UNT supporters are upset about the announcement, but to be trashing McCasland or Tech is a little short sighted in my opinion. First, McCasland did more for UNT basketball than anyone in the history of the program and frankly handled the transition about as well as could be expected. He has a handpicked successor in Hodge who will likely keep the program humming off the foundation that has been established. Compare that to how Beard tried to burn our program to the ground on the way out, its a night and day difference. McCasland is getting a huge raise, better facilities, more fan support and an opportunity to coach at a rising power in college basketball. He also has a lot of ties to Tech and Lubbock. 

As for how Tech handled the situation, I think they were as respectful as possible throughout the process. Yes, it did leak from a local Lubbock station yesterday, and I can tell you that the Tech AD was not happy about that. We allowed UNT to finish the NIT run and it was formally announced after the game. They could have forced McCasland to leave during the NIT run but allowed him to finish it out of respect to him and UNT. 

McCasland releasing the video this morning is to actively begin building support/momentum for his new job. He has a roster to construct and needs to get to recruiting the portal ASAP. There was no reason to "wait a few days" as UNT got the NIT title last night. He needs to hit the ground running in Lubbock to put together a staff to start recruiting. The big 12 is the toughest league in the country and is a gauntlet of a schedule to play. 

As someone with ties to both schools, I sincerely hope Hodges can keep things rolling in Denton and wish UNT nothing but the best moving forward. 

GMG and Wreckem Tech. 

Agree with everything you said 100% except the “allowed UNT to finish the NIT run”…Promise you Grant insisted on that and it was the right thing and my main argument is the word “allowed” is very ego fracturing and we don’t want to hear it.  😂

But all love brother, congrats on Grant and thanks for posting.  Best of luck to the Raiders and GMG! 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNTRedRaider91 said:

They could have forced McCasland to leave during the NIT run…

No they couldnt have.  He would have balked your offer.

That’s the kind of guy you got.  He’ll do the same for you guys too if/when Baylor comes calling.

A lot of us here will be keeping up with the Raiders this year & beyond.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTRedRaider91 said:

Hey Guys, 

Figured I would pop over here given the official announcement today. First of all, I have a degrees from both Tech and UNT (undergrad at Tech) so I have ties to both universities. For athletics, I support Tech because it is simply a bigger athletics program that plays in a much bigger conference and it's where I did my undergrad which is more special to me than my masters.  

I understand why UNT supporters are upset about the announcement, but to be trashing McCasland or Tech is a little short sighted in my opinion. First, McCasland did more for UNT basketball than anyone in the history of the program and frankly handled the transition about as well as could be expected. He has a handpicked successor in Hodge who will likely keep the program humming off the foundation that has been established. Compare that to how Beard tried to burn our program to the ground on the way out, its a night and day difference. McCasland is getting a huge raise, better facilities, more fan support and an opportunity to coach at a rising power in college basketball. He also has a lot of ties to Tech and Lubbock. 

As for how Tech handled the situation, I think they were as respectful as possible throughout the process. Yes, it did leak from a local Lubbock station yesterday, and I can tell you that the Tech AD was not happy about that. We allowed UNT to finish the NIT run and it was formally announced after the game. They could have forced McCasland to leave during the NIT run but allowed him to finish it out of respect to him and UNT. 

McCasland releasing the video this morning is to actively begin building support/momentum for his new job. He has a roster to construct and needs to get to recruiting the portal ASAP. There was no reason to "wait a few days" as UNT got the NIT title last night. He needs to hit the ground running in Lubbock to put together a staff to start recruiting. The big 12 is the toughest league in the country and is a gauntlet of a schedule to play. 

As someone with ties to both schools, I sincerely hope Hodges can keep things rolling in Denton and wish UNT nothing but the best moving forward. 

GMG and Wreckem Tech. 

Truly there is no love lost with how we view Grant. Most of us are merely making light of a coach we love so much.  Tech got a good one and I hope he is successful there. 

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Any doubt it's all business? I appreciate what he did here, but this sucks. At least wait a couple of days!

image.png.f310058f453fbe77c9dfb15f1b18f16f.png

This is a Tech PR move and nothing else.  But honestly, I wouldn't expect anything less.  I certainly would want to to see this if he was coming to the Mean Green.  

• Upvote 2

The problem I see is that some of you folks got personally invested in Mac being tied to this university…being invested in it like you are.

Do you not remember him leaving Arkansas St at the drop of a hat after ONE season?!  This is a guy who is looking to climb the ladder.  He took the UNT job because it was a better job in a better conference and was closer to home.  Now he leaves UNT to go coach in the Big 12, a conference that got 7 of 10 teams in the tournament, compared to our 1.  He has ties to the school and has spent plenty of time in West Texas.  

If you want to win then you better get used to wanting guys like Mac coaching at UNT.  I want hungry coaches looking to win and move up.  Maybe someday UNT will become a power.  The way to get there is winning with guys like Mac and Hodge.

…. And yes, I’m pissed that the news was leaked early and Tech stole a bit of our thunder.  THAT is acceptable to be mad about, impo.  But it’s the way this business works.  Lots of douchebagging when media coverage is involved

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4