Proposed Rule Changes

MCMLXXX

2 hours ago, SUMG said:

Not in favor of the clock running....after an incomplete pass.

Didn't see this mentioned in the article.....but if they implement that.....wouldn't that mean that spiking a ball to stop the clock....would no longer work????

It would stop the clock until the ball is spotted. I am fine with that so long as they stop the clock until the snap in the final 2 minutes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If you want to speed up the game, I would propose working the clock like the NFL does after first downs.  The clock stops on first downs in college ball and doesn't restart until the ball is snapped to begin the next play, whereas in the NFL, the clock starts once the ball is placed and the chains have been moved.

It seems they are much quicker spotting the ball than in the past. My guess is the worst offender is the incomplete pass. 

• Upvote 1

Think they are making it way too complicated.  Timing rules for everything but the last 5 minutes of each half:

1. Game clock runs after first downs (play clock doesn’t start unit ball spotted)

2. Incompletions: play clock starts when ball spotted, game clock starts 8 seconds into play clock.

3. Out of bounds ADVANCING the ball - see rules for incompletions 

I think anything more drastic, you would need to have a 2 minute warning like the NFL.

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Then would you be in favor of reducing the payouts to teams? You can't get better contracts for the leagues and not want them to be paid for.

O, just utilize the “play through” split screen they use during the World Cup. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

The NFL halftime is only 13 minutes (29 minutes for the SuperBowl, lol).  How long is the college halftime?  Long enough to get both school's bands on the field....  

20 minutes for halftime but I think cutting it down to 15 minutes should be considered. 

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

Oh hell yes! please institute all of these! the college game has gotten longer and longer over the years. in fact, put these in and then put a limit on replay review time as well. that would make me so happy.

The rules they are instituting now would help with player safety as well.

less plays = less opportunity for injury

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

How about keep the rules the same and get rid of tv time-outs or reduce them. 

This. Don't see anyone advocating this. Reduce commercials and keep the rules the same. Trying to shorten games, but yet add more commercials. It's lunacy. 

And they say it's done in the name of "player safety". 

I want more money and less time at work in the name of employee safety. 

40 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This. Don't see anyone advocating this. Reduce commercials and keep the rules the same. Trying to shorten games, but yet add more commercials. It's lunacy. 

And they say it's done in the name of "player safety". 

I want more money and less time at work in the name of employee safety. 

I don't see trying to rush plays because of the clock doing anything but increasing injuries.

19 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Think they are making it way too complicated.  Timing rules for everything but the last 5 minutes of each half:

1. Game clock runs after first downs (play clock doesn’t start unit ball spotted)

2. Incompletions: play clock starts when ball spotted, game clock starts 8 seconds into play clock.

3. Out of bounds ADVANCING the ball - see rules for incompletions 

I think anything more drastic, you would need to have a 2 minute warning like the NFL.

Running the game clock once the ball is spotted after an incompletion would reduce game times tremendously and I'm ALL FOR IT. I can't see it getting approved though. 

I'm surprised reducing the number of timeouts isn't being discussed. How about each coach only gets 4 TOs per game and can use them whenever they want? I feel like it would be less controversial than running the clock after incompletions. 

-Cut timeouts to 4 per game

-Running clock on first downs

-Reduce halftime to 15 minutes

I think these changes would be enough to bring game times down to a acceptable level. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2023 at 9:43 PM, UNTLifer said:

O, just utilize the “play through” split screen they use during the World Cup. 

Always hated the running clock.  I think the clock should stop on incomplete passes, first downs, and going out of bounds at all levels.  Where the game drags out is commercial breaks.  I think something like this would be a perfect way to get the sponsors in.  Have each segment sponsored with the company's logo by the score.  have split screen or have a quick 10-15 second ad in between plays or something of that nature.  How often to the color commentators just talk to fill dead air with nothing of real value?  This would be a great compromise.  

• Upvote 2