Who Could Replace Chris Beard As Longhorns Coach?

AUSTIN - The cloud of the Chris Beard controversy has now dissipated from the Texas Longhorns program after the school terminated the former head coach on Thursday, and sent an emphatic statement in the process

In replacement of Beard, the Longhorns have named Rodney Terry as the acting head coach for the remainder of the 2022-23 season.

Upon the conclusion of this season, however, the Longhorns could elect to make another splash hire, much like they have done in previous years with Beard and Shaka Smart. 

5) Grant McCasland - North Texas

An in-state up-and-comer in the coaching game, North Texas' Grant McCasland has turned the North Texas program into arguably the best in Conference USA. 

In four of the past five seasons, McCasland has guided the Mean Green to 20-plus win seasons, including an NCAA tournament in 2020-21. That season, he earned the school's first-ever NCAA Tournament win in an upset of No. 4-seeded Purdue. 

McCasland was also one name being thrown around during the initial search for Chris Beard.

Read more: 

https://www.si.com/college/texas/mens-basketball/hot-board-replace-chris-beard-texas-longhorns-head-coach-rodney-terry

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1

The shadow of CUSA will haunt Terry a bit in Austin.

In March/April 2021, a few things happened: 1) UT-Austin lost to Joe Golding's ACU squad in the tourney.  Texas was a 3 seed and this put ACU on the national map for a bit.  2) In April, Terry elected to leave UTEP for the assistant position in Austin.  He was getting his butt kicked by McCasland and Co.  Ironically, Golding ended up taking Terry's spot in El Paso

Just a small seed in the argument that there are some damn good coachs at the Mid-Major level.  And - ha! - sometimes a guy just has to back-door his way into higher pay.

• Upvote 3

Texas has the money and resources to poach a big time coach from a big program, I dont think they will look at many (if any) mid-major coaches.  Texas's booster expect at least a top 10 coach, and thats what they will go after.  Of course Terry has a shot, but he will need to make an impact in the post season.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

My only fear is that they try to money-whip Drew at Baylor setting off some dominoes.

Drew's situation is about as good as it could ever be. Baylor fans love him and I'm sure it's not nearly as stressful as Texas would be. Why leave such a great situation?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Drew's situation is about as good as it could ever be. Baylor fans love him and I'm sure it's not nearly as stressful as Texas would be. Why leave such a great situation?

I agree. Then again, nobody thought Kim Mulkey would ever leave there. Money has a way of changing people. 

• Upvote 1

Using McCasland’s optics, I don’t see Grant taking a job in Austin if he were offered.  Austin(the city) is not what it once was in the good ole days.  Very few big cities are.  I avoid that dump at all costs.

And to those of you who live in Austin, sorry for the rant.

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 1/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, UNTLifer said:

My only fear is that they try to money-whip Drew at Baylor setting off some dominoes.

On 1/6/2023 at 6:17 PM, UNTFan23 said:

And Baylor has enough money to throw at him to keep im there. 

On 1/8/2023 at 8:42 AM, DeepGreen said:

Using McCasland’s optics, I don’t see Grant taking a job in Austin if he were offered.  Austin(the city) is not what it once was in the good ole days.  Very few big cities are.  I avoid that dump at all costs.

And to those of you who live in Austin, sorry for the rant.

I was just going to say that I live in Austin, and almost not by choice. I wanted to just quote you because there weren't ever "good ole days." This city has always been a subordinate wanna-be town that thinks it's big time, and only just recently got its first professional sports team. That's not the ultimate measure of a city, but it sure says a lot. This city sucks, frankly. 
If you want to challenge me on that, name me a major park not owned by the state or UT that's over 352 acres, a major art museum not owned by UT, a functioning traffic system, a zoo that doesn't suck, and really any other feature of a major city over 1,000,000 people. 

/rant.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

And Baylor has enough money to throw at him to keep im there. 

I was just going to say that I live in Austin, and almost not by choice. I wanted to just quote you because there weren't ever "good ole days." This city has always been a subordinate wanna-be town that thinks it's big time, and only just recently got its first professional sports team. That's not the ultimate measure of a city, but it sure says a lot. This city sucks, frankly. 
If you want to challenge me on that, name me a major park not owned by the state or UT that's over 352 acres, a major art museum not owned by UT, a functioning traffic system, a zoo that doesn't suck, and really any other feature of a major city over 1,000,000 people. 

/rant.

Whoa there pardner!  Don't shoot the messager.   When I say the "good ole days" I'm talking the 1960's-'70's when Austin was, well, Austin.  When you could walk the UT campus and not feel threatened by druggies and drunks.  And the campus was clean.  Nowadays, it's just not the Austin we were once use to.  The city has become a complete joke.  It has been infiltrated with the West Coast types.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Whoa there pardner!  Don't shoot the messager.   When I say the "good ole days" I'm talking the 1960's-'70's when Austin was, well, Austin.  When you could walk the UT campus and not feel threatened by druggies and drunks.  And the campus was clean.  Nowadays, it's just not the Austin we were once use to.  The city has become a complete joke.  It has been infiltrated with the West Coast types.

Yeah that whole post got away from me because you hit a chord. Animus toward the city's culture, not you, friend.

• Upvote 2