Sonny Dykes should give a Masters Class

TheColonyEagle

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He’s owned the portal. At SMU and now gets a 5 star RB to TCU. 

• Upvote 1

Sonny was really an innovator of this when at SMU. But remember, Rhett Lashley was a big recruiter for Sonny, when he was his offensive coordinator. Take a look at what the Mustangs are doing in the portal right now, their class is in the top 10 Nationally, in all of the recruiting services. No matter how the Championship game turns out Monday, expect TCU to knock it out of the park in the portal.

Edited by dodgefan
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

57 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Sonny was really an innovator of this when at SMU. But remember, Rhett Lashley was a big recruiter for Sonny, when he was his offensive coordinator. Take a look at what the Mustangs are doing in the portal right now, their class is in the top 10 Nationally, in all of the recruiting services. No matter how the Championship game turns out Monday, expect TCU to knock it out of the park in the portal.

As far as smu's "portal" "recruiting" goes, they're slightly up. Lost 10, gained 11 with slightly better players. And with alllll that money and alllll of those players, they went 7-6. As I might say when many of this board were salivating in how good they were when they bashed our brains in this season. A few of us got on here and reminded everyone that their 6-6 teams just like their one 10 win team bashed our brains in. What's that old Bill Parcells quote? 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

As far as smu's "portal" "recruiting" goes, they're slightly up. Lost 10, gained 11 with slightly better players. And with alllll that money and alllll of those players, they went 7-6. As I might say when many of this board were salivating in how good they were when they bashed our brains in this season. A few of us got on here and reminded everyone that their 6-6 teams just like their one 10 win team bashed our brains in. What's that old Bill Parcells quote? 

The credit I will give SMU, or more correctly stated the recognition, is that they have the money to play the game. SMU, Miami, and Texas A&M are 3 examples of schools that have tried to buy success and so far have failed. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If we can close on a couple big time prospects we will likely have the highest rated transfer class in the nation.  The kids we're "losing" in the portal are largely depth pieces or have rightly made the determination that they will be recruited over either with HS signees or the portal.  The only significant contributor to transfer is Mordecai who was not coming back regardless given the situation with Preston Stone.

As far as our record this year I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't close out the fourth quarter lead we had at Maryland.  But that's a tough opponent on the road early in the season.  We lost to TCU by 8 and Cincinnati by 2.  Losses are losses but for a first year head coach I think it was a decent transitional year with big wins over Houston and Memphis.

With the influx of transfer portal talent there is absolutely no excuse SMU should be anything less than 9-3 next year and playing in the AAC championship game.  Lashlee knows this.  The team knows this.  The two NIL groups know this.  We will have vastly superior talent to every team in the AAC next year.  Doesn't mean anything until you play the games but I'll take my chances with a two deep full of P5 talent at every position.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

If we can close on pay enough to a couple big time prospects we will likely have the highest rated transfer class in the nation. 

Fixed it for you. Sad thing is that for the vast majority of students and boosters at SMU if most of these kids were not good players they would not want to have them on campus. You even changed the admissions requirements a while back. SMU's trying to buy their way back into relevance and they might well be successful. Following rules was never a concern before, and now that there are basically no rules and everyone is allowed to "play dirty" a lot of the "money" people at SMU probably feel right at home. 

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

If we can close on a couple big time prospects we will likely have the highest rated transfer class in the nation.  The kids we're "losing" in the portal are largely depth pieces or have rightly made the determination that they will be recruited over either with HS signees or the portal.  The only significant contributor to transfer is Mordecai who was not coming back regardless given the situation with Preston Stone.

As far as our record this year I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't close out the fourth quarter lead we had at Maryland.  But that's a tough opponent on the road early in the season.  We lost to TCU by 8 and Cincinnati by 2.  Losses are losses but for a first year head coach I think it was a decent transitional year with big wins over Houston and Memphis.

With the influx of transfer portal talent there is absolutely no excuse SMU should be anything less than 9-3 next year and playing in the AAC championship game.  Lashlee knows this.  The team knows this.  The two NIL groups know this.  We will have vastly superior talent to every team in the AAC next year.  Doesn't mean anything until you play the games but I'll take my chances with a two deep full of P5 talent at every position.

Also, blown out by ucf and tulane. Barely beat Navy, Tulsa and memphis state. UH dropped 60+ on yall. Your guys' most convincing win was vs us. Which is typical... smut looks down on us in every imaginable way, but they sure do play up vs us, comprartively speaking. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Also, blown out by ucf and tulane. Barely beat Navy, Tulsa and memphis state. UH dropped 60+ on yall. Your guys' most convincing win was vs us. Which is typical... smut looks down on us in every imaginable way, but they sure do play up vs us, comprartively speaking. 

Yep there were some bad losses in there for sure.  And I'm not sure that giving up 60 to Houston matters is you score 77.  And the two "close" wins you cite (Tulsa and Navy) were 20 plus point fourth quarter leads.  SMU was simply bleeding out the clock with backups.

I would say for a first year HC it was more good than bad but you would certainly expect Lashlee and the staff to grow from year one to year two.  We will absolutely be more talented (especially on defense) next year.  If we can snag a couple of these whales we're after we will be favored in every game except OU and TCU.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Fixed it for you. Sad thing is that for the vast majority of students and boosters at SMU if most of these kids were not good players they would not want to have them on campus. You even changed the admissions requirements a while back. SMU's trying to buy their way back into relevance and they might well be successful. Following rules was never a concern before, and now that there are basically no rules and everyone is allowed to "play dirty" a lot of the "money" people at SMU probably feel right at home. 

Take a midol dude good grief.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Your point is that we pay players? Yeah, that's what NIL is, and is exactly what you guys are working on doing. Something about over a million dollars? Being a little hypocritical with that one. 

We lowered our admission requirements to the NCAA rules, AKA the same that nearly every school, including UNT, uses. I'm not sure why you think that's so terrible.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Dpony14 said:

Your point is that we pay players? Yeah, that's what NIL is, and is exactly what you guys are working on doing. Something about over a million dollars? Being a little hypocritical with that one. 

We lowered our admission requirements to the NCAA rules, AKA the same that nearly every school, including UNT, uses. I'm not sure why you think that's so terrible.  

I have no problem with players and teams following the rules. If you get the player fine, but for some pony fans to stop by to boast about how they have the money to get players isn't done for any other reason than to take a jab at UNT.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Well they are our conference mates (equals) now. 

We are in the AAC at this particular time but  it is somewhat temporary.   Most of the SMU people I know seem to think we won't be for long and they expect we will be invited to the PAC 10 or Big 12 in fairly short order.  Not anything against the AAC, as it is a good conference for programs like North Texas who are trying to build up their programs and fan support.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

We are in the AAC at this particular time but  it is somewhat temporary.   Most of the SMU people I know seem to think we won't be for long and they expect we will be invited to the PAC 10 or Big 12 in fairly short order.  Not anything against the AAC, as it is a good conference for programs like North Texas who are trying to build up their programs and fan support.

An SMU fan talking shit about attendance? What a F'ing joke. Don't you guys have a forum of your own to go to?
tumblr_mhbmy32ylZ1rthxy9o1_1280.gif

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

PAC 10 or Big 12 Interviews with SMU -

How many division or conference championships have you won lately? (SMU) - We can buy players
How much fan support do you have? (SMU) - We can buy players
What do you bring that can add value to our conference? (SMU) - We can buy players

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

rob gronkowski GIF

Never give up on your dreams sir

• Haha 2