TheReal_jayD

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Career history
As a player:
 * Offseason and/or practice squad member only
As a coach:

That’s a lot of experience. I like it

• Upvote 3

Jon Cooper was the center at OU during Todd Dodge's first game at UNT. Jon knows what a bad defense looks like and how to take advantage of it. The center is usually the QB of the OL. 

Do I wish he had a little bit more OL coaching experience? Yes

Did the guy play center in college and the NFL? Yes

While he was coaching OL at Western Carolina, they averaged 150 yards rushing and 320 yards passing a game. Also in the below link, it mentions his time working with Josh Heupel. Josh Heupel is one of the best offensive minds in football right now. If he worked under him, I imagine he learned quite a bit. 

https://catamountsports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jon-cooper/1284

Not that my opinion matters, but I think this will end up being a good hire.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Really good player. Interesting he has more experience being a TE coach than OL coach, but glad he’s back where he belongs with the OL.

I think at a-lot of places the TE and OL work together more times than not.  Especially in Indy as they are such an important part of Run game.  They can get their skill work in during 1 on 1 or 7 on 7.  At least that is what I've observed at the different college practices I've been able to attend.  

• Upvote 6

17 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I think at a-lot of places the TE and OL work together more times than not.  Especially in Indy as they are such an important part of Run game.  They can get their skill work in during 1 on 1 or 7 on 7.  At least that is what I've observed at the different college practices I've been able to attend.  

Absolutely. I’m not concerned that he has more TE than OL position coach experience for that reason. That and playing the position himself.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Assistants have come from different P5 programs

One concern, and it has been mentioned on this board many times, with getting coaches from blue blood programs (Alabama, Texas, OU, USC) is that they have had every resource available. Can they make good things happen with less resources? However I do believe, at least on paper, if you compare what Morris has put together compared to Kinne at Texas State, we are way ahead.

14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

One concern, and it has been mentioned on this board many times, with getting coaches from blue blood programs (Alabama, Texas, OU, USC) is that they have had every resource available. Can they make good things happen with less resources? However I do believe, at least on paper, if you compare what Morris has put together compared to Kinne at Texas State, we are way ahead.

And besides Gilbert. I believe everyone on staff has worked at a G5 or lower. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

And besides Gilbert. I believe everyone on staff has worked at a G5 or lower. 

I like these hires and the backgrounds they bring. I'm just hoping they can pull best practices from where tye have been and modify them to be used here with the resources we have as we add more.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1