FAU (12/29/22)

UNTLifer

18 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Everything starts and ends with recruiting. A number of games to go before we will know how well this 2022-2023 class is. At this time, I don’t see enough horses. 

Please play Christian Moore. This offense is brutal

I thought we had some shooters on our roster, and part of the mystery is that their shot is a Denton no-show.

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I thought we had some shooters on our roster, and part of the mystery is that their shot is a Denton no-show.

Stoner with 0 points, might as well recruits pickup basketball guys from 24 hour fitness, La Fitness, Lifetime Fitness and maybe Planet Fitness 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Why do we have nobody who wants to shoot a 12-15 foot jump shot?   Our offense, from what I can see, is almost exclusively predicated on passing until someone can get a clean look at a 3 or trying to score from within 2 feet of the bucket.   Not real hard to defend for the length of the shot clock.

Is Sissoko in some kind of time out?   Last night Abou got in early foul trouble (eventually fouling out) and we spent pretty good stretches watching FAU's 7-foot clutz tower over everyone for offensive rebounds.   Sissoko is 6'9" so I have to think he may have helped some.  

Regarding ignoring the midrange, I think it's just way of analytics these days. Like in the NBA, the midrange game is dead. Analytics say the most efficient scoring comes from shots 2 feet from the basket or 3 point line. Everything else is not worth it. I think it's terrible but I guess analytics knows best. In the NBA, outside of a few elite midrange guys like Derozan, Chris Paul, LeBron, and Durant, most in the NBA aren't even looking for that shot anymore. Notice those 4 are not young talents either. We shouldn't expect many midrange killers moving forward.

About Sissoko, I don't get it. He's played well in limited minutes. He's got a big frame and it appears by physique he'd be tough to bully around. I feel he could have made a difference in there when Abou got into foul trouble. I noticed he didn't have the warm-up top on at one point in the second half and I kept thinking he was going to come in but it never happened. The freshman Moore was another I thought could have helped. He's been an efficient scorer in limited minutes and we were desperate for a basket late. Why not throw somebody else in and see what they can do? I don't know.

I trust Mac, his results here deserve it, but his stubbornness with personnel at times when what's in the game isn't working is reminiscent of another coach we recently got rid of.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Stoner with 0 points, might as well recruits pickup basketball guys from 24 hour fitness, La Fitness, Lifetime Fitness and maybe Planet Fitness 

Kai was a 19 ppg guy at his last stop.  Closer to 10 ppg at the previous stop.  Now he's currently 0-fer on his last 20+ 3-point attempts.  Is it something he's eating?

Martinez spend the last 4 years at UNH, averaging (from 1st to 4th year) 7.9, 10.5, 13.6, then 14.9.  Then he shows up in Denton, and some nights we get 3 points out of him.  Some nights 8.  Currently Averaging about 5.5 ppg.

I think it's expected to see offensive production go down when you come to Denton to play in this offense, but man! We need to get a little something more out of anybody not named Tylor or this ship is going to sink.  This lack of shooting is a slow motion, season-long murder.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Right now he's averaging more points in fewer minutes a game than Tyree Eady.  I'm not saying Stone is lighting it up, but he's also not struggling as bad as others, so it's kind of ridiculous to single him out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

When Abou is out, the UNT offense iooks like that of the Mavs:   Give the ball to Luka / Tylor and let him do his thing and "I don't want the ball because Luka / Tylor is in charge."   The difference is Luka is big and can get his own shot whenever. Tylor is 5'11 and can't do the same consistently  (no knock on Tylor at all as it is a size thing.  

So, what's the answer?   1.) Abou not in foul trouble and the offense runs similar to when it did with Zach in the middle as Abou draws similar attention.  2.) If Abou is in foul trouble, then we need Kai to dribble penetrate too and get the ball rotating.   Open shots are better for Stone, Rubin and Eady.   3.) Tylor can continue to do his thing but not every possession so he gets a break once in a while and so the offense has some mix to its flow.

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Right now he's averaging more points in fewer minutes a game than Tyree Eady.  I'm not saying Stone is lighting it up, but he's also not struggling as bad as others, so it's kind of ridiculous to single him out.

I agree with this. Right now, Eady is a boat anchor for this team. No offense, not much defense or rebounding. 

At least when Stone is not hitting shots he is playing some decent defense and hustling all over the floor.

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, CMJ said:

Oh buddy I will! And right now......I'm Olive Garden Disgusted with his performance 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, BigWillie said:

I agree with this. Right now, Eady is a boat anchor for this team. No offense, not much defense or rebounding. 

At least when Stone is not hitting shots he is playing some decent defense and hustling all over the floor.

Go put a dollar in the girly jar with this comment 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Numbers don't like Big Z.  Seriously, seems like the reason you're picking on the kid is he's white. Other guys on the team are posting even worse numbers with no mention from you.  Stone is definitely struggling, but until you start saying other guys WITH WORSE NUMBERS deserve to be playing rec league ball, your animus seems like a petty vendetta.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Numbers don't like Big Z.  Seriously, seems like the reason you're picking on the kid is he's white. Other guys on the team are posting even worse numbers with no mention from you.  Stone is definitely struggling, but until you start saying other guys WITH WORSE NUMBERS deserve to be playing rec league ball, your animus seems like a petty vendetta.

Has nothing do with him being white, is this his 3rd season? Where is the production ?

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I heard a rumor that he can’t jump.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Has nothing do with him being white, is this his 3rd season? Where is the production ?

There are 6 players averaging less PPG than Stone.  4 of them are the same class and/or older.

you can dig into their ages, as well as their time in the system, but I feel like at that point it is kinda nitpick.  It really does appear to be a case of you picking on Stone.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There are 6 players averaging less PPG than Stone.  4 of them are the same class and/or older.

you can dig into their ages, as well as their time in the system, but I feel like at that point it is kinda nitpick.  It really does appear to be a case of you picking on Stone.

Come on….you are giving him a pass?…Typical fanbase 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

21 minutes ago, greenminer said:

@Big Z I love you man, but you are wrong here. Eady is worse than Stone.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Show me this Stone 

I don’t believe he has that roll here currently. We use a lot of shot clock and run through 2 maybe 3 people. Stone has been wide open a few times today and never received that (not saying he would have shit them or made them), but our focus is on the defensive end. We don’t move the ball with purpose on the offensive end until 6-10 seconds left in the shot clock. 

• Upvote 1