Some Positive Thoughts as NSD Approaches

TheReal_jayD

Man, I'm so ready to get past this period and get some movement on our coaches and bring in some new players. I can't wait until things go from doom and gloom here to "What are they cooking at North Texas?"

image.png.e40c1677dd7f841f70b5b0345004b536.png

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ntexeagle said:

I have been following North Texas football for 50 years and in that fifty years we have recruited exactly ONE five star recruit.  That was Milton Collins, a vaunted running back. Mr. Collins only played a few games as a running back and finished his career with us as a D Lineman.

We had very few 4 stars in that time.  Not even SMU, Memphis or Boise have more than the occasional 4 stars.  

Let’s let the coach bring in players he can build into 4-5 star players.  I believe he can and will, make u proud.

Come on ntexeagle. Was initially going to let this one slide. There were no star systems 50 years ago. There were no social media, twitter, facebook, HUDL. Rivals, 24/7 and other fan sites like today. Fans had to generally wait the next day. after signing day, to learn who their school signed. The Athletic Department provided an 800 number for fans to get a recording of who were signed on signing day.  

No question Milton was highly regarded as our best prospect ever to sign with North Texas. He was near the top of the Texas 100 lists with offers from most SWC schools. Don't think he would have been a 5 though. Maybe 4 based on similarities to Earl Campbell. Unfortunately the competition played at Blooming Grove, Tx  was not the same at many other places.

No disrespect, but couldn't let that one go right before Christmas.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

You want gloom and doom?  You need to check in on the Razorbacks before NSD.  According to one of their former players, their collective has been having some trouble getting donors for their NIL.  Additionally, they have lost a number tO the TP along with prospects decommiting.

On 12/20/2022 at 3:10 PM, Cooley said:

Come on ntexeagle. Was initially going to let this one slide. There were no star systems 50 years ago. There were no social media, twitter, facebook, HUDL. Rivals, 24/7 and other fan sites like today. Fans had to generally wait the next day. after signing day, to learn who their school signed. The Athletic Department provided an 800 number for fans to get a recording of who were signed on signing day.  

No question Milton was highly regarded as our best prospect ever to sign with North Texas. He was near the top of the Texas 100 lists with offers from most SWC schools. Don't think he would have been a 5 though. Maybe 4 based on similarities to Earl Campbell. Unfortunately the competition played at Blooming Grove, Tx  was not the same at many other places.

This is beautiful information 

• Eye Roll 1

On 12/20/2022 at 3:10 PM, Cooley said:

28 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This is beautiful information 

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc856778/

med_res

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

…..and he would have been a 4/5 star recruit by today’s standards that we have rarely ever gotten, which G5 programs rarely ever get,…and in many instances rarely guarantee success by programs that do get them so let’s wait and see what this staff comes up with before we shit our fantasticly over reacting pants,… which is the point @ntexeagle was making in the first place.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 9:53 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

I know it can be doom and gloom with de-commitments, transfers, and silence on the coaching staff announcements. But there are a ton of positives as we move forward. 

1. Coach Morris is no stranger to putting a team together. He took a team that was 30-67 prior to his arrival to two conference championships within four years. This past weekend that team played for a national championship with over 75% of the team being players he had brought in and recruited. So, I believe he has a plan, and even maybe learning from some mistakes made at UIW as well.

2. As of right now the team has minimal available scholarships. So, I am glad he is being selective with who they add this off-season. I believe he will spend most of the first month putting staff together and evaluating what he has left on the roster. There will be more athletes hitting the portal within the next few days. It will not be the end of the world. Some will be big names. But I don't believe it will end all be all. Also, with limited scholarships every time someone hits the portal it will allow more available spots for Morris and staff to bring in their guys. I am also glad we are being upfront with recruits. We could keep all the recruits currently committed. But with portal no guarantee they stay. Especially with a staff coming in that didn’t recruit, as well as them possibly not being a scheme fit.

3. I would much rather see the staff taking the slow approach as opposed to the running out and throwing out offers to players that don't fill voids or will make an impact. Not need to sign players just to sign. January will be super busy with a full staff in place. There will be a ton of OVs. Since I have started covering recruiting some of our best players have come from commits that take place in late January and February. (Fine, Ejiya, Bussey, Hamilton, Darden, Brammer, and Shorter just to name a few of top of my head) 

4. With Portal going crazy there will be a ton of talented players left after Wednesday. Both HS and Transfer players will be available. Also, transfers are fair game until the player arrives on campus so just because transfers are committing now nothing is binding until they arrive on campus. So still, plenty of time on that front. 

5. I may be drunk on the green kool-aid. But all I am saying is let’s put the pitch forks down and give Coach Morris a shot. As well as GO MEAN GREEN

image.jpeg

Keep talkin'...next round is on me.

green-kool-aidman.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1