You want to sit out of a bowl .....

El Paso Eagle

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t think the sitting out part in and of itself is what is bothering @El Paso Eagle. His major complaint seems to be that McBride got to travel to the Bahamas with the team under the guise that he was going to play. Once he got there, he okie doked them and chose not to play. My feeling is that he should have to reimburse the university for all travel and expenses for the trip since he is no longer there as a student athlete.

Right. Or maybe the University should just take it out of his enormous cut of the bowl payout that he receives as the National Rushing Leader.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

38 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This is so ridiculous. Easy to complain about his actions when you'd never be in a position to do the same. He's likely going to get drafted and live out his dreams while getting paid. If he plays this meaningless bowl and gets hurt, all that goes down the drain. Most of us will never be in the position to lose our careers due to an injury. Give me a break.

not sure you read the thread.  This isn't necessarily about pulling out of the bowl.  it's the part about traveling with the team to Bahamas, enjoying the festivities, accepting the gifts, being a part of the coaches gameplan, then opting out 24 hours before kickoff.

If he had made this decision prior, and opted out of everything, then this thread probably doesn't exist.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Pretty sure he knew all before he boarded the plane.

Doesn't matter. If he gets injured, his career is over before it started. If you want to make it about money and cost to go to the Bahamas, the university got $225k for the bowl game. They wouldn't have made it without him. I'm sure they've made more than enough money off his play to cover his trip.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

not sure you read the thread.  This isn't necessarily about pulling out of the bowl.  it's the part about traveling with the team to Bahamas, enjoying the festivities, accepting the gifts, being a part of the coaches gameplan, then opting out 24 hours before kickoff.

If he had made this decision prior, and opted out of everything, then this thread probably doesn't exist.

Read above. They made it to this bowl and the school got the payout partially thanks to him. He's accounted for nearly a third of their total offense. They don't make it to this bowl and get the payout without him. And really? A couple thousand dollars in gifts compared to what they've made off his back? They're not donating gifts for charity. They're doing fine. Get drafted and make your money, McBride.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Consider this, you are an employer and you paid for some employees to go on a work trip to the Bahamas and then one of them once their airfare and hotel was covered just quits having just used your funding for a free Caribbean vacation. You’d be cool with that?

If it's a competitor of mine...   Sure!

Also, if it's an employee who was pretty much the only reason my other employees got to go to the Bahamas for this "work trip"...   Sure!   Without this superstar Employee of the Year getting us there, we're sitting at home wishing we had work.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's different than old man yelling at cloud. Don't wanna play, fine. Tell me earlier. We'll move on without you. 

But what does it matter? If it's about the cost of sending him and the gifts he received, they're literally not going without his play. His performance on the field got them to the bowl game and the payouts that accompany the invite. If it's about gameplan, next man up! He's not here next year anyways so it's an opportunity for others on the depth chart to show what they can do for next year. This entire post is literally "old man yelling at clouds." Yelling for no reason other than to yell.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Consider this, you are an employer and you paid for some employees to go on a work trip to the Bahamas and then one of them once their airfare and hotel was covered just quits having just used your funding for a free Caribbean vacation. You’d be cool with that?

B-I-N-G-O

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Doesn't matter. If he gets injured, his career is over before it started. If you want to make it about money and cost to go to the Bahamas, the university got $225k for the bowl game. They wouldn't have made it without him. I'm sure they've made more than enough money off his play to cover his trip.

Prove to me they wouldn't have made it without him.  You can't.  Someone else may have stepped up, you never know.  I know for fact that he wouldn't be getting his NFL payday if UAB (or another evil college) hadn't given him a chance.  They also provided him a free education that he will no doubt need since a RB's pro lifespan is so short.  Save me the BS about how much money the university made off of him.  The university gave him plenty in return.  

To me, it's not about the cost of the trip, etc.  Had he told the team a week ago that he wasn't going to play, they could have planned for it.  In that situation, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with him traveling with the team, but I don't know why his (ex)teammates would want him there.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

But what does it matter? If it's about the cost of sending him and the gifts he received, they're literally not going without his play. His performance on the field got them to the bowl game and the payouts that accompany the invite. If it's about gameplan, next man up! He's not here next year anyways so it's an opportunity for others on the depth chart to show what they can do for next year. This entire post is literally "old man yelling at clouds." Yelling for no reason other than to yell.

Naw, this whole everybody gets to play especially those of who will be here is at its core, bullshit. You play to win the game. Coaches coach to win the game. Like all games, if the situation presents itself to see some fresh faces, then sure....unless your name is Littrell.  

We're definitely going to disagree here. And that's fine. 

20 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Prove to me they wouldn't have made it without him.  You can't.  Someone else may have stepped up, you never know.  I know for fact that he wouldn't be getting his NFL payday if UAB (or another evil college) hadn't given him a chance.  They also provided him a free education that he will no doubt need since a RB's pro lifespan is so short.  Save me the BS about how much money the university made off of him.  The university gave him plenty in return.  

To me, it's not about the cost of the trip, etc.  Had he told the team a week ago that he wasn't going to play, they could have planned for it.  In that situation, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with him traveling with the team, but I don't know why his (ex)teammates would want him there.

Sure I can't prove if but I'll allow you to examine the drop off between RB1 and RB2. Not hard to see the offense ran through him.

Screenshot_20221216_151906_ESPN.jpg.3f8828ecf5cd5074182bc7ee61a00d36.jpg

Regarding the other stuff of he wouldn't be getting his NFL payday without college football, if college sports disappeared, there would be other ways for pro teams to scout players for their rosters. This may blow your mind but college sports aren't a thing in the rest of the world the way they are here. Pro teams have academies that develop players. There are also lower level leagues that players come up through. It may not be as apparent in football because it's only played in North America but look at hockey and to a lesser extent basketball to see that players come from overseas having grown up in systems that don't include college sports. The NCAA - NFL/NBA relationship is what causes the "need" for college sports to go pro. They could do without college sports and be just fine but money won't allow it and that's fine but let's not act like the players should be on their knees thanking the NCAA and college teams for the medium to showcase their talents. A local example happening right now is basketball players going to the G-League Ignite for a year before being drafted to the NBA without the "need" for college sports.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Jaylen Smith at Notre Dame went from 1st round to 4th round because he got hurt in the bowl game years ago

2nd round but his leg has never been the same. Went from projected top 5 pick to 2nd round because Jerry Jones believed the Cowboys medical staff could repair the knee. Now he's bounced around the NFL a bit after Jerry paid him.

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Naw, this whole everybody gets to play especially those of who will be here is at its core, bullshit. You play to win the game. Coaches coach to win the game. Like all games, if the situation presents itself to see some fresh faces, then sure....unless your name is Littrell.  

We're definitely going to disagree here. And that's fine. 

🤝

So if a fan spends their hard earned money to get to a bowl game, ie flight, hotel, food, tickets, etc, tell them the game means "nothing".  They are there to watch their team win.  They may even be there to see a player that sits out.  So its still cool for them to sit out at the last minute then?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

So if a fan spends their hard earned money to get to a bowl game, ie flight, hotel, food, tickets, etc, tell them the game means "nothing".  They are there to watch their team win.  They may even be there to see a player that sits out.  So its still cool for them to sit out at the last minute then?

Yes. No different than a pro player sitting out to rest before the playoffs or to get a break on the second night of a back to back in the NBA. This happens all the time in pro sports and nobody cares.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

46 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's about living in a society of civilized, honorable, dependable, ethical people.

Yeah, it's "old man yelling at clouds" because we were once mostly a society that did uphold those values.  Now, the society is degrading into "all about me" attitudes which are NOT compatible with a healthy society.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

It's about living in a society of civilized, honorable, dependable, ethical people.

Yeah, it's "old man yelling at clouds" because we were once mostly a society that did uphold those values.  Now, the society is degrading into "all about me" attitudes which are NOT compatible with a healthy society.

Ok buddy. If McBride played and tore his ACL, would honor pay his bills?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Read above. They made it to this bowl and the school got the payout partially thanks to him. He's accounted for nearly a third of their total offense. They don't make it to this bowl and get the payout without him. And really? A couple thousand dollars in gifts compared to what they've made off his back? They're not donating gifts for charity. They're doing fine. Get drafted and make your money, McBride.

We can go back and forth about the financial part of this, but I cannot get past the team dynamic here.  The guy went through the motions with his team to prepare for this, and then abandoned them and the gameplan 24 hours prior.  He should have announced this before making the trip.  before they made the gameplan.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

How much have we made off of Aune? Would we have made it to 7-5 without him? UAB was 6-6.

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

What does that have to do with deceiving the coaches into a free Caribbean vacay?

I highly doubt he did this to get a free Caribbean vacay" but frankly, he's a big reason why they get the trip to begin with. Why shouldn't he get to partake when they likely wouldn't even be there without his play throughout the season? The bowl, gifts, and activities is to reward the hard work during the season, not the hard work during the bowl game. It's like not getting a Christmas bonus for meeting yearly quotas because you don't show up to the holiday party.

• Downvote 1

The kid should have opted out before the team departed for the Bahamas.  He got a free scholarship, an opportunity for an education to help him when his football days are over and he goes on the trip with the guise of playing for his teammates and school.  Wrong move, no ethics and if he got left behind, so what. It’s never tough to do the right thing.  Be better.  

• Upvote 3