Depth Chart Listed in Media Almanac

BillySee58

Here are my initial thoughts:

- Interesting to see Damon beat out Tommy

- Nice to see Dax back in the 2-deep.  I figured he was done

- Jett may be our next big star on the line.  For him to beat out a more mature Kaci is impressive

- So excited to see what Jyaire can do now that he is 100%!  He could be the MVP of this entire squad this season.

- we have way too many scholarship QB's.  Not fair to them and not good roster management for us.

-  Is Larry Nixon really 6-3, 236?

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, Jonnyeagle said:

Do you really expect any major changes to this though?  I do not.

I mean yeah, but Aune would be listed starter and other positions would have listed starters unlike this.

TBH I think Ragsdale starts at RB and Maclin starts as well

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Way too many "OR"s on there.  It's not necessary.  5 tossup QBs and 4 tossup RBs?  Just roll with your guys & be confident in them.  The attempts at deception are stupid.   

WR looks strong.  Interior OL & DL are both very strong.  The 2 LB spots look strong.
The 5 DB spots are really shaky for me.  Thankfully, that's Bennett's bread & butter.   He should *hopefully* be able to coach those guys up.

Not trying for deception, this was before the position battles. 

Speaking of DL positions, whatever happened to LeBlanc and T Johnson at DT? Both have pretty significant game experience and TayShon looked like the next big thing his freshman year. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, meangreen11 said:

Here are my initial thoughts:

- Interesting to see Damon beat out Tommy

- Nice to see Dax back in the 2-deep.  I figured he was done

- Jett may be our next big star on the line.  For him to beat out a more mature Kaci is impressive

- So excited to see what Jyaire can do now that he is 100%!  He could be the MVP of this entire squad this season.

- we have way too many scholarship QB's.  Not fair to them and not good roster management for us.

-  Is Larry Nixon really 6-3, 236?

It makes me nervous to have a 6'2" guy at tackle.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why?

7 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Because at the FBS level DEs are usually taller than 6'2. This means they are likely to have longer arms that allow them to get hands on the OT first. That isn't a recipe for good protection. 

What he said. Not that it can't be done, especially if the guy is super quick and can get outside to stop a speed rush and/or they are able to maintain good enough leverage to withstand a bull rush.  Justvlooked at utep's defensive ends and not one is listed over 6'2". Not sure that will happen again this year. I like Duncan, just would like him more at guard. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Way too many "OR"s on there.  It's not necessary.  5 tossup QBs and 4 tossup RBs?  Just roll with your guys & be confident in them.  The attempts at deception are stupid.   

WR looks strong.  Interior OL & DL are both very strong.  The 2 LB spots look strong.
The 5 DB spots are really shaky for me.  Thankfully, that's Bennett's bread & butter.   He should *hopefully* be able to coach those guys up.

Had to reread the chart for the or's and I agree.

14 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Because at the FBS level DEs are usually taller than 6'2. This means they are likely to have longer arms that allow them to get hands on the OT first. That isn't a recipe for good protection. 

I would agree, but I don't know Duncan's measurables/arm length, plus I don't trust this depth chart.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Some guys also have freakishly disproportionately long arms relative to their height. Not sure if Duncan is like that, but it's been seen before with successful OL

3 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

What he said. Not that it can't be done, especially if the guy is super quick and can get outside to stop a speed rush and/or they are able to maintain good enough leverage to withstand a bull rush.  Justvlooked at utep's defensive ends and not one is listed over 6'2". Not sure that will happen again this year. I like Duncan, just would like him more at guard. 

You may want to check again, because they have a 6’3 All-Conference DE that is going to eat any/all of these tackles alive.  #23 Praise Amaewhule.  Gonna need Robert’s & Gumms to chip the heck outta this guy, or flat-out double-team him.  He’s a problem.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

UTEP's defense gave up the following last year:

Rushing per game: 138.6

Passing per game: 210.8

On offense, the lost their two leading receivers.  The top returning pass catcher, Tyrin Smith, had 33 receptions for 570 yards and 4 TD's.  The next closest, Reynaldo Flores, had 13 catches for 204 yards and no TD's, and their starting TE returns having 9 catches for 133 yards and 4 TD's last year.  None of the other receivers on their two deep did much at all or weren't at UTEP.

• Upvote 2

On 8/22/2022 at 8:16 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

You may want to check again, because they have a 6’3 All-Conference DE that is going to eat any/all of these tackles alive.  #23 Praise Amaewhule.  Gonna need Robert’s & Gumms to chip the heck outta this guy, or flat-out double-team him.  He’s a problem.

You're right. I missed him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I doubt you’ll miss him on Saturday.

Why?  What has he done in the past that makes you hold him in such high regard?  I know he has been all conference, but he had five tackles against us last year.  He's good, but I don't see him "eating any/all tackles alive".

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Why?  What has he done in the past that makes you hold him in such high regard?  I know he has been all conference, but he had five tackles against us last year.  He's good, but I don't see him "eating any/all tackles alive".

All it takes is one other guy to be better.  One other guy on that side of the ball to command more of our attention, and it may be all the wiggle room Praise needs to have a completely different game, with a completely different result.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 8/22/2022 at 8:16 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Two days. 

• Haha 1