Louisiana Tech (1/29/22)

CMJ

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am curious as to why the AD has distanced themselves from the term "Pit Crew"

Not sure about the Pit Crew, but the AD did kill the Mean Green Club.   It was replaced by the MGSF, and maybe it was for tax purpose semantics, but it killed 50 years of history.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

You should let the Mean Green Maniacs know this. All of their good crowd pics on the Twitter page are from the Pit Crew era. 

It’s a small group compared to the pit crew, but maybe they could become something good again. A start would be getting all the students into that section. I don’t know the exact sections but I would focus on directly behind the goal and the 2-3 sections on either side. Fill that portion with students. That may shift them over a bit but it’s nice to have them behind the goal too. When I was younger I thought the band was directly behind the goal. That should try that too. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

You think Benford led to this? We still had decent crowds then. People showed up for losing basketball. Other than Army of Dad pretty much everyone stayed… 

Are you kidding me? Benford dropped a nuclear bomb on this program and we still haven’t recovered  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Are you kidding me? Benford dropped a nuclear bomb on this program and we still haven’t recovered  

Can you imagine what a coach like McCasland (not saying hiring Grant 10 years ago would have been a good call... but someone like him) could have done walking into a situation with:
Tony Mitchell
Jordan Williams
Chris Jones
Jacob Holmen
Alzee Williams
Forrest Robinson (left right after Benford was hired... what a genius)
Roger Franklin
& Brandon Walton

...I mean, the sky was the limit.   All we needed was someone to sustain & continue the trend.   Instead, the McCasland hire was a literal program reset.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Can you imagine what a coach like McCasland (not saying hiring Grant 10 years ago would have been a good call... but someone like him) could have done walking into a situation with:
Tony Mitchell
Jordan Williams
Chris Jones
Jacob Holmen
Alzee Williams
Roger Franklin
& Brandon Walton

...I mean, the sky was the limit.   All we needed was someone to sustain & continue the trend.   Instead, the McCasland hire was a literal program reset.

you mean the year most major publication had UNT ranked as one of the top mid-major programs in the country and we won a grand total of 12 games?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Tony Mitchell
Jordan Williams
Chris Jones
Jacob Holmen
Alzee Williams
Roger Franklin
& Brandon Walton

I agree he most likely would have done better. At least in the way Mac is now. 

Johhny Jones may have had the best shot, but CJ and JW had to fail their classes. That was such a huge opportunity with a great young class of guys. Beat recruiting class we have ever had. 

9 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

you mean the year most major publication had UNT ranked as one of the top mid-major programs in the country and we won a grand total of 12 games?

The sports illustrated that year had us listed as right outside the top 25 if I recall correctly. I had the physical magazine at the time was was stocked UNT was even mentioned in it. 

17 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

You should let the Mean Green Maniacs know this. All of their good crowd pics on the Twitter page are from the Pit Crew era. 

I looked at them, I’ve seen like 2 from the original Pit Crew era. The rest are from 2019 forward. That’s definitely not all lol

You people are insufferable when it comes to that, the students are showing up to the game slowly but surely. Stop complaining about students and worry about the THOUSANDS of empty seats that are for fans and HUNDREDS of empty season tickets holders seat backs. I know there are some situations that limit people, but it’s a massive glaring eye sore in the arena.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Let's stop talking about the Benford disaster and focus on the basketball good times we're living in.

When you say 'Benford disaster' are you referring to the 5 year period that Tony Benford was our coach and once managed to bring our program to the heights of 7th in final CUSA standings?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I looked at them, I’ve seen like 2 from the original Pit Crew era. The rest are from 2019 forward. That’s definitely not all lol

You people are insufferable when it comes to that, the students are showing up to the game slowly but surely. Stop complaining about students and worry about the THOUSANDS of empty seats that are for fans and HUNDREDS of empty season tickets holders seat backs. I know there are some situations that limit people, but it’s a massive glaring eye sore in the arena.

man, typical #newdenton thinking.

• Upvote 1