Seniors Coming Back?

El Paso Eagle

I believe Tyreke Davis has already said he planned to return. I honestly can’t imagine many of the others will come back. Frow opted out (right?) so he could be a candidate to return (or transfer). I could see Colvin, Cam, and Sanders perhaps returning? 

• Upvote 3

I feel like Novil has to return. This season did not help his draft chances at all so hopefully another year of development and scheme will improve arguably the worst defense in the country and a switch from a 3 man D-line to 4 will help him not get double teamed, as all recruiting seems to indicate we will go. 

If I'm a Senior with no draft hopes, but I can take graduate courses on UNT's dime, and continue to play the game I love at the D-1 level, I'm opting in all day.   
Unless these guys have plans lined up after they graduate, I would expect all of them to return.

Darden is going to be the draft-buster we've been waiting for.  It's about time!

Novil should be drafted, but the scheme killed him this year.   He would benefit greatly from returning to play football, but I would not be surprised at all if he transferred to play elsewhere.   Otherwise, he's hanging his NFL hopes on Coach Bowen being able to install a scheme that works this offseason (unless Bowen is replaced).  Honestly, I wouldn't trust that if I were him, and as much as it pains me to say this, if I were him, I would jump into the portal immediately after our bowl game & search for a team with a solid defense that could use a playmaker up front.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

With the financial impact of Covid and the budget issues, sadly, a lot of players around the country will probably be "encouraged" to move on at many schools. 

Question - If a school has a lot of players stay next year how does this count when it comes to Title 9?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With the financial impact of Covid and the budget issues, sadly, a lot of players around the country will probably be "encouraged" to move on at many schools. 

Question - If a school has a lot of players stay next year how does this count when it comes to Title 9?

No team to my knowledge has ever been sanctioned by the NCAA for T9 violations.   However, women athletes have the same options to return as men.  In this covid year, with so many options available; I doubt there could be any basis for lawsuits. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Unfortunately, I think Darden’s path to the NFL will be similar to Guyton’s.  I just think he’s too short to be drafted. I hope I’m wrong. 

I worry he is considered a system receiver. Not a good sign he was not invited to the Senior Bowl.

I hope Novil comes back.

30 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I worry he is considered a system receiver. Not a good sign he was not invited to the Senior Bowl.

I hope Novil comes back.

That is always a danger in this type of offense but I still don’t think the NFL cares so much about numbers. They care a lot (too much?) about measurables. That hurts Darden a lot due to size but can also help him because if his speed and quickness. A NFL scout isn’t likely to care about how many TDs or catches he has, but how he got them: good route running, the ability to get separation, and his insane ability to avoid tacklers. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

That is always a danger in this type of offense but I still don’t think the NFL cares so much about numbers. They care a lot (too much?) about measurables. That hurts Darden a lot due to size but can also help him because if his speed and quickness. A NFL scout isn’t likely to care about how many TDs or catches he has, but how he got them: good route running, the ability to get separation, and his insane ability to avoid tacklers. 

Tyreek Hill... 5’10 185 and a major stud!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Watkins invited to the Senior Bowl????

image.png.3a4e3136715b5b815796dc29d5c978d8.png

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Unfortunately, I think Darden’s path to the NFL will be similar to Guyton’s.  I just think he’s too short to be drafted. I hope I’m wrong. 

Guyton also didn’t have the type of season Darden had. Bad comparison when they are completely different players.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Guyton also didn’t have the type of season Darden had. Bad comparison when they are completely different players.

I did not say he did and I did not compare the two.  

I simply said I think their path to the NFL will be similar.   I don’t think he’ll be drafted, but I think someone will pick him up as an UFA.  He’ll bounce around a bit before seeing any serious playing time.  

Richie James at MTSU measured at 5’10” in 2018 and ran a 4.48. All of his other combine numbers were pretty in line with his 40-time in terms of percentile. His production was pretty similar to Darden’s given number of games played. He went 6th round, but was coming off of his worst season where he was injured for most of it.