3 U OF TENN PLAYERS LEAVE TEAM

El Paso Eagle

would not expect anything less from NCAA, they got embarrassed by the last off-season with their head scratching transfers being allowed to play immediately, so this a direct result as well. 

I like the intention of setting a firm 4 games versus a percentage but in my opinion cases like this the players should be forced to sit a year if they manage to transfer. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

Help me out...

How many players on a college team’s roster can red shirt in a given season?

Who has ultimate authority to approve red shirts ? The ncaa, coach, player?

Can a school/coach effectively create a “dream-team” by red shirting players from different recruiting class years to get to a “dream-team” season?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cogido said:

Help me out...

Who has ultimate authority to approve red shirts ? The ncaa, coach, player?

Can a school/coach effectively create a “dream-team” by red shirting players from different recruiting class years to get to a “dream-team” season?

they could... but telling college football players who are upper classmen and have already played a bunch to take a season off and sit on their hands while their friends go player is probably a lot harder than it sounds

the idea behind redshirting hasn't really changed... it's just the fact that the NCAA made a rule that was exclusive to bigger schools (play in a couple of games, but still sit the majority of the season and be granted a redshirt) official for all programs. Coaches could have always held players back in hopes of betting everything on one season, now they just have a 4 game cushion to make the decision

Also, if a coach wanted to do this, it would be a huge gamble on his part if the team he's playing goes 5-7 (or worse) because he's been holding players back... or if he runs into an injury problem

18 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

OK, please help me understand how the new transfers rules are good for College Football. Players bailing on teams that are not playing well. I really find it hard to believe this was even in the slightest way considered. Before you say that player's scholarships do not have to be renewed -- have you every heard of a player playing poorly and getting his scholarship pulled during the middle of the season.

I'm OK with players transferring during the off season, but during the season. Sorry, but in these cases the player should have a financial responsibility to pay back cost for the current year.  Call me "old-school" all you want, but this is not good. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27699171/three-more-players-leave-reeling-tennessee

The law of unintended consequences rears its ugly head again. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

18 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

OK, please help me understand how the new transfers rules are good for College Football. Players bailing on teams that are not playing well. I really find it hard to believe this was even in the slightest way considered. Before you say that player's scholarships do not have to be renewed -- have you every heard of a player playing poorly and getting his scholarship pulled during the middle of the season.

I'm OK with players transferring during the off season, but during the season. Sorry, but in these cases the player should have a financial responsibility to pay back cost for the current year.  Call me "old-school" all you want, but this is not good. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27699171/three-more-players-leave-reeling-tennessee

It's the "Me" generation.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

12 hours ago, cogido said:

Yes.   All joking aside, many people believe this is what Houston is doing. 

Not only is Houston specifically redshirting the star QB and WR as of now, the indications are that moving forward they have some sort of stratified way they are planning on playing their players so as to use as little talent up this year as possible, as opposed to simply trying to win games in 2019.  

They have a half dozen or so big time transfers who will become eligible next year; a 5* LB from Alabama, a 4* CB from UCLA, and a few others.  Their fans on another board are saying that due to the incoming talent and the leftover talent from this year that they are going to dominate their regular season schedule in 2020, and, well, they aren't crazy. And frankly, redshirting players and rebuilding teams are the norm in CFB, especially when it's a first year HC - it just usually isn't the all-everything QB a third of the way through the season.

The question for me, however, becomes was this the plan all along, or is UH simply quitting on 2019 and finding a new loophole to justify it.  Dana, in his defense, stated a number of times in the offseason that UH had a real developmental issue and that not nearly enough players were redshirted, that CMA played way too many freshman, and that he planned on fixing that.  Well, okay, but was that the plan all along, or did he simply dip his toe into the 2019 season and, when he started out 1-3 rather than 3-1, decide to go to plan B, quitting on about 10-20 players, not to mention staff, season ticket holders, etc.  

So I'm going to ask ya'll after the game if you all thought Houston played hard, because I'm going to wonder if that's an indication as whether or not Dana simply pulled the rug out from under his senior class.  If so, forget him, he's done something horrible to college football.  If the 'cougs do play hard, and this was the plan all along, well, so be it.   Rebuilding years happen all the time, I can live with it. 

Welcome to 'cougin it', 2019 edition. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, SMUleopold said:

Fine. 

*sniff*

No nose candy for you, peasants.  Now go wash my Theta-girlfriend's hand me down BMW  while I drink my Rolling Rock. 

Lol, even I laughed at that one.  

Hand-me-down BMW? Ok, now I know this is fake.

44 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

Fine. 

*sniff*

No nose candy for you, peasants.  Now go wash my Theta-girlfriend's hand me down BMW  while I drink my Rolling Rock. 

Lol, even I laughed at that one.  

I want to give you a Ray, but I just don't think a fan of another school should get a Ray.

• Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Jim Dickey at Kansas State redshirted the majority of his starters in the 1981 season to enable the 1982 quad, led by his son Darrell at QB, to have a winning record and make it to the Independence Bowl.

But not 4 games in to the season.  Holgorson, if this is his plan, is quitting on his team, the fans, the season ticket holders, etc... just as @SMUleopold stated.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

23 hours ago, cogido said:

There is no limit. The rule is 5 years to play 4. There is no paperwork/approval involved.

Here’s my question: if you play your 4 years in your first four, can you play 4 games in the fifth and final year?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Here’s my question: if you play your 4 years in your first four, can you play 4 games in the fifth and final year?

That's a good question. 

My assumption is that red-shirting is about preserving eligibility, not extending it, so after you've used four years you can't add another one.  But that's a guess on my part.