Defense didn't lose this game

outoftown

It was not all golden on D (failure to put pressure on the QB, trouble covering once Hall went down)...

..but if you told me before the game, that La Tech scores under 30, I'd a been fairly confident that UNT wins.

Plus the D was reeally put into bad positions more than once. They gave up some big plays, but they stiffened up very well in the red zone. They were out on the field for what felt like 13 minutes in the second quarter, which proved to be disastrous. With what the D did, UNT really should have won.

What lost this game was mostly special teams, followed by the offense.

ST had a day almost as bad as its day vs Arkansas was good. in order of increasing annoyance:

- Hedlund makes the first FG attempt and its a W. Somewhat forgivable though. Its not a gimme FG and it was close

- Make the last minute FG and its a W. That was some baad (non)blocking, and that is at least partly on Biagi.

- Do not muff fair catches inside your 10. This one, to me, is the worst and most annoying. It was a real and complete disaster. It came at the worst time imaginable (right after the D had done everything to get out of the half with only limited damage and had otherwise stopped LaTechs momentum).

Offense also did its part for losing. Particularly in quarters 2 and 3. When your offense is scoring 6 points over the course of 3 quarters and giving up 2 turnovers on top of that, this will get you beat in almost all games. We started focusing back on the run way too late (that opened up some modium of time for Mason in the pocket) and the decision to play the obviously hobbled star Qb over a QB that was actually healthy remains suspect at best as does going for 45+ FG when you got 4th and 2 and 40 secs.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

50/50 on defense , they played bend but not break but few penalties allowed La Tech to keep scoring drives going, the poor PI's on #9, the kicking of the helmet on the 3rd down sack. 

**Update outside of the atrocious 2Q the defense was money, just the penalties

Now 4Q they were money and kept the team in the game.

Edited by untbowler

2 hours ago, Mean Green Eagle said:

O-line needs to buy Fine more time. He was relentlessly pressured all night. # 45 was a problem for us all night. 

You all do realize that #45 is the active career sack leader in the NCAA. Yes, we needed to block him but many teams have obviously said the same thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Overall, I think our defense did a good job last night. Mental mistakes by too many players (in every faze of the game) turned the game from a blow out win, into an up hill climb, and we did not get to the top.

I will say I believe both our offensive and defensive lines are soft. Fine had almost no time to pass, and Smith had all day. That is not acceptable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

With 6 yards a carry should have never needed it.  Gonna Pass?  Roll Fine out like we did against Arkansas.  But feed the rock and put them away.

Instead we played right into their strength...and they should thank us for it.

Rick

I'm not arguing. I agree. We should have run the ball more, especially in the 2nd quarter. But, it doesn't change the fact that our O-line was not reliable in pass protection.

• Thanks 1