BUILDING THE FOUNDATION

El Paso Eagle

I think it’s safe to say we all think today’s game sucked. But to be honest, we lost to a team that has more talent.

But this has been a great season for North Texas Football. We are beating the teams we should and putting the pieces in place for a solid foundation. Do we all want more talented recruits – YES! However, we have a long history of not being committed to Football in the eyes of High School Coaches and we need to keep showing the commitment. We will get those break-through recruits and we will become a University that is considered relevant.

#continuethetrend

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Our quarterback threw for over 300 yards.  Talent isn't the issue.  Play calling and scheming is the issue.

talent is definitely an issue if you didnt see a difference in size and speed, then i dont know what you were watching

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, golfingomez said:

talent is definitely an issue if you didnt see a difference in size and speed, then i dont know what you were watching

They played faster on offense than our defense.  I don't deny that.  Their defense did not play faster than our offense.  It could have been a shoot out, especially considering our offensive numbers weren't awful.  I'm not denying the deficiencies on defense, just pointing out our offense could have helped keep us in the game with the talent we have.

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So you have praise for the QB throwing  for over 300 yards but say there was bad play calling? 

What else would you call it?  He made it happen.  It doesn't mean we couldn't have been better.  Especially because we got away from the run game way too early.   Overall the offense was inconsistent.  We'd make big plays and make nothing out of those big plays.  The whole thing was like kicking a ball as far as you can into a wall back to your own side.  We beat ourselves.

Edited by peanuts104

12 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Our quarterback threw for over 300 yards.  Talent isn't the issue.  Play calling and scheming is the issue.

69-31 and 41-17 say otherwise.

I really don't get how people can say only scheme and play calling is what led to this result. Why can't fans of all teams and sports just friggin admit and take a loss and say the other team just outplayed us and are just better than us.  Somebody has to lose a game.  It's a chess match folks...sometimes no matter the schemes results like these happen.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

69-31 and 41-17 say otherwise.

I really don't get how people can say only scheme and play calling is what led to this result. Why can't fans of all teams and sports just friggin admit and take a loss and say the other team just outplayed us and are just better than us.  Somebody has to lose a game.  It's a chess match folks...sometimes no matter the schemes results like these happen.

I didn't make my point clear enough.  Our offensive statistics weren't horrible despite our offense being ineffective.   That points to inconsistency and poor play calling.  They were fast on offense for sure (but, if you noticed they slowed as the game grew long in the tooth), but they were not faster than us on their defense vs our offense.   We just did not scheme the game right as far as the offensive side of the ball goes, and that is on Harrell.

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We matched up better against army than we did today. The fact is they were much faster than us and that made a big difference 

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

We way out athleted Army. They couldn't cover our receivers. 

Today, FAU dominated our receivers. 

Then how the **** did we hang 31 on them in October.  It wasn't our receivers!  The play calling was garbage and easy enough to pick up for the defense.

Just now, peanuts104 said:

Then how the **** did we hang 31 on them in October.  It wasn't our receivers!  The play calling was garbage and easy enough to pick up for the defense.

I think it’s safe to say you do not like the coaches. The improvements in this program and to continue to make these type of comments is just mind boggling

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

I think it’s safe to say you do not like the coaches. The improvements in this program and to continue to make these type of comments is just mind boggling

I think it's safe to say that you enjoy losing.  The head coach is fine. Reffett has improved from being embarrassed earlier in the season.  Harrell wants to throw the ball on every down.  You can't do that if they drop 7 almost every play.   They took advantage of the fact that we make a lot of production on the air, and like I've said, either in this thread or others, we went away from the ground game WAY TOO EARLY.

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I think it's safe to say that you enjoy losing.  The head coach is fine. Reffett has improved from being embarrassed earlier in the season.  Harrell wants to throw the ball on every down.  You can't do that if they drop 7 almost every play.   They took advantage of the fact that we make a lot of production on the air, and like I've said, either in this thread or others, we went away from the ground game WAY TOO EARLY.

How has he improved?? 

Army, FAU... he has improved because we played ODU, UTEP, and UTEP.. teams that struggled

Part of the problem with Texas players is we don't have the biggest high school line players--because it's not as important in the popular spread offense here. Florida has more of these type of players, even for the lower level D1 programs there to recruit.

Look at the success of UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU these days. All have much bigger line players than we do. We have to figure out how to find the big boys somewhere in the state or elsewhere. A lot of the teams in Texas have had this problem lately. The skill players are definitely there.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Part of the problem with Texas players is we don't have the biggest high school line players--because it's not as important in the popular spread offense here. Florida has more of these type of players, even for the lower level D1 programs there to recruit.

Look at the success of UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU these days. All have much bigger line players than we do. We have to figure out how to find the big boys somewhere in the state or elsewhere. A lot of the teams in Texas have had this problem lately. The skill players are definitely there.

That’s a really interesting take.  TX and FL have always had the best recruits because they are the only two states that use the college rules vs. modified high school rules.  It’s interesting to think in-state style is what is shaping recruits now.

• Lovely Take 1

14 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Very valid post!