Post Game Thoughts (R-E-L-A-X)

CaribbeanGreen

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

FAU was 3-9 last year..  10-3 this year.. I would take the FAU angle any day of the week.. 

Fans are not upset st the season, they are upset we are settling for 2nd best or even worse in the bowl game most likely...

No, you are upset. 

1 minute ago, Caw Caw said:

TCU and Georgia, among many others would like to have a word with you.

TCU or UGA didn't skirt tail by inferior opponents all season. They dominated for the most part, until they met superior opponents. 

Secondly, I don't give a damn about any of them. We are a team trying to build a brand. Shit your excuses out, but they have their brand. We don't. They can afford these kind of national television losses. We can't. End of story. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No, you are upset. 

Plenty of people here have voice displeasure with the NO, and plenty of younger alumni and students as well that would like to see a better match up.. 

Hell if they should pass up the NO and go play SDSU or FS.. atleast they were ranked and are in a higher conference as well..

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The logic that this stuff is not in the cards is hilarious.. I know for a fact that we have had discussions with bowl games we, nor the conference have any tie in with in FL (Vito even confirmed it on the last podcast following Army)... UNT has proven it can draw and bring fans to local games, the NO in the past and HoD.. Indy passing up UNT for a LT/USM would just show this admin settled for 2nd best..

I’m not sure I follow.

We don’t have Bowl tie-ins in FL?  Yes we do.

There will be no C-USA team in the HoD bowl.

I wonder what will happen with the Indy Bowl, as FAU will likely want it.. but the Indy Bowl committee will want nothing to do with them due to their incredibly-minuscule fan base not traveling.  They just ran roughshod over C-USA, hosted the championship game, and had about 20k butts in seats... just pathetic.

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

TCU or UGA didn't skirt tail by inferior opponents all season. They dominated for the most part, until they met superior opponents. 

Secondly, I don't give a damn about any of them. We are a team trying to build a brand. Shit your excuses out, but they have their brand. We don't. They can afford these kind of national television losses. We can't. End of story. 

You are right.  And what’s more important than anything at this point to supoort building the brand - more important than Bowl location and opponent - is building more fan support and demonstrating fan support.  I’m glad you agree that building the brand is the most important and we will see you in New Orleans.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’m not sure I follow.

We don’t have Bowl tie-ins in FL?  Yes we do.

There will be no C-USA team in the HoD bowl.

I wonder what will happen with the Indy Bowl, as FAU will likely want it.. but the Indy Bowl committee will want nothing to do with them due to their incredibly-minuscule fan base not traveling.  They just ran roughshod over C-USA, hosted the championship game, and had about 20k butts in seats... just pathetic.

The bowl we had discussions with was not the CUSA FL bowls.. it was the Cure Bowl in Orlando between SBC and AAC.. 

FAU can hope for the offer, but UNT has had them visit and shown the fan base will travel in the region to see the old NO bowls.. 

But from what I have heard from people in the ticket office unless it was way up the food chain..

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The bowl we had discussions with was not the CUSA FL bowls.. it was the Cure Bowl in Orlando between SBC and AAC.. 

FAU can hope for the offer, but UNT has had them visit and shown the fan base will travel in the region to see the old NO bowls.. 

But from what I have heard from people in the ticket office unless it was way up the food chain..

Is this a complete thought?  Confusing, especially the end.   I don't want the NOLA Bowl because that town has become a cess pool and it falls when I would not be able to attend. 

22 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

SBC will have enough, as will AAC.  I don’t think there will be a chance for C-USA there, & even if there is, it’s likely gonna be FAU.

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Anyone that will listen that will help prevent October 21st and December 2nd from happening again. That's my intended target for those comments. Hopefully notes are being taken. 

I'm just saying you shouldn't lump @Ole Green Guts into the group of people who "settle for losing" cause he never did much of that here.  

1 hour ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Look, for starters, that sucked. It sucked. No sugar coating it. We all thought it might suck. Most of us kind of expected it to suck. FAU is better than us.

To the knee-jerk "we should just stay home" and "we deserve to play a Sun Belt team" crew, stop. I get it. You're upset. I feel it too. But that's just silliness. This was a 9 win team - one of the best in Denton in YEARS if not ever - despite the spell one team has over us (in their place, mind you). 

We're young as hell. Almost everywhere. We have a stable and solid AD and HC. We have a growing and potentially huge fan base. Would you trade this for the house of cards that is FAU, Lane Kiffin, and their 3k fans? Today, sure. Long term, no chance. Look at our crowd against winless ass UTEP compared to FAU's home crowd for a championship game. It's comical. 

This thing still won 9. Yes, I still think it deserves a hell of a lot more than playing a Sun Belt team in the first bowl game of the bowl season, even though I'm all but resigned to that fate. Breathe. The future is bright. We didn't quit. We battled. We just had a lot of great times and there are a lot of great times to come. Hell, we might win 7 next year and be a BETTER team... this year was special. GMG. 

Good post.  I'm proud of the accomplishments this team made this season.  They raised expectations and increased our fanbase.  That's growth we can invest in.

Rick

• Upvote 4

I don't understand why folks are so annoyed with the D today. Yes the D didn't bail out the offense today and on the season overall it is a very average C-USA defense. But here is a fact: FAU never scored less than 30 in C-USA this season. They put 52 on FIU, probably the second best team in the east this season. I expected our D to come in and be about conference average, and weird as that sounds, they almost were.

What I was hoping for is that UNTs offense was way ahead of an average C-USA offense, and instead it regressed  considerably since the first matchup. Other than UNT FAU only managed to hold Charlotte to less than 20 points all season. To me this game is foremost on GH and SL who decided stupidly and stubbornly to run in short yardage rd downs in the early game, which predicatbly killed drives and got a defense which has been thin gassed early, the way worst outcome imaginable.

MF then pressed and tried to find big plays too much with an O-line that has not improved doing him no favors either.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

The defense, running game, and special teams of both of those squads would smother this year’s squad.

I think they would be good games. I love both of those teams (I graduated in Dec of 2003). The thing that gives me added hope in this squad, though, is that we are so young. The future is bright.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

This nut kick feels like the warm blanket we have been missing most of the year.  mmmmmmmm

Was beginning to think I wasn't watch the Mean Green.  Nuts were nearly back to normal size.  As bad as it was today, still glad we have more football to look forward to.

lol dude that just cracked me up.  After watching this team for 25 years I can definitely relate.