Seth Littrell has made the Mean Green relevant again – and he may not be around much longer

Brady Keane

19 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think Tech has more opportunity to buy out Kliff than you think. They have to ask themselves if $6.7 million is too high to pay for another year of suckitude under KK or if they cut bait, pay the amount, and make a hire that brings in some $$$ from having a new coach. 

They already made that decision. Coach Bro is getting another year. 

Something we haven't considered yet. How many top 10-15 program assistants are out there that haven't even entered into the conversation yet. The Kirby Smarts of the world. You're going to have to throw those into the discussion as well. 

Littrell is just now starting to get serious buzz. It seems most G5 coaches take a few sustained good years before they make the leap. (I personally don't understand the anointment of Chad Morris. I like him but he has an overall losing record (.382% to be exact) and headed for at best, barely over .500 this year. I don't think there is anyway in hell A&M would hire a sub .500 coach that's never sniffed the top 25 or a conference championship and pay him $5-$6 million a year but the media runs with this narrative....it's crazy)

Didn't the buzz surround PJ Fleck for 2-3 years before he jumped?  He went 1-11 his first year then went 8-5, 8-5 and THEN went 13-1 with a New Years 6 Bowl and that got him to Minnesota. Not Wisconsin.

Littrell will be seen as a HUGE risk at this point in his coaching career. He has done a remarkable job turning around the program but look at it objectively from a big program's POV. He hasn't recruited a class ranked close to the top of CUSA yet. Maybe rankings don't matter (but they do) but you have to look at the holistic picture of Seth Littrell. I think his success has to sustain through next year and maybe the year after.  If he wants to hold out for a GOOD P5 job vs the first one that comes available....it will probably take a little longer than that. 

I like the buzz. It's good for our program. If he wins out this year or maybe goes 3-1 and then wins 10 next year....maybe we pull off the stunner at Arkansas? He'll probably get his first interviews. Then the schedule the next year in Fine's senior year shapes up to where I think we could be in discussion as one of the top G5 teams in the country. Maybe a New Years 6 threat assuming the stars align. And I have to think he knows that. If that were to happen....he'll be a top 2-3 candidate and he could be looking at some bigger programs. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

The best thing about all of this talk about Littrell leaving is what it shows to other, younger coaches. NT is no longer a dead end - if you come to Denton and do well you CAN move up. Plus it really is possible to do well in Denton, something that many doubted.

The key is can Littrell show success can be grown even more and sustained. Littrell is likely to have two years in a row of increases of four wins. That just doesn't happen very often. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

22 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

The best thing about all of this talk about Littrell leaving is what it shows to other, younger coaches. NT is no longer a dead end - if you come to Denton and do well you CAN move up. Plus it really is possible to do well in Denton, something that many doubted.

The key is can Littrell show success can be grown even more and sustained. Littrell is likely to have two years in a row of increases of four wins. That just doesn't happen very often. 

If he can't make it 3 years in a row of this kind of improvement, he needs to be shown the door.  We don't need that kind of low-expectation-having coach around here.  #NewDenton.

Baseline: 1-11
Year 1: 5-7
Year 2: 9(10?)-4
Year 3: 13(14?)-1
Year 4: 17-0   =   Minimum Standard.   Right @BTG_Fan1?   Who's with me?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If he can't make it 3 years in a row of this kind of improvement, he needs to be shown the door.  We don't need that kind of low-expectation-having coach around here.  #NewDenton.

Baseline: 1-11
Year 1: 5-7
Year 2: 9(10?)-4
Year 3: 13(14?)-1
Year 4: 17-0   =   Minimum Standard.   Right @BTG_Fan1?   Who's with me?

Right what? That SL needs to leave if we go 13-1 and next year? When have I said SL needs to go ever.. please show me 

36 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Right what? That SL needs to leave if we go 13-1 and next year? When have I said SL needs to go ever.. please show me 

36 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

SL needs to leave if we go 13-1 and next year

You sir, are serious about success at UNT!!   I think it's just me and you... maybe @AustinFromUNT too, but I'm not sure about his motives.
IIRC, I believe @oldguystudent predicted an undefeated year, preseason.  So, he can join us.
Also, @SilverEagle has repeatedly told us he hasn't come here to lose.  So he can also join us.

Anyone else jumping on the National-Champs-in-2019-or-bust train?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I dream of a day when we have the money to beat out P5 offers and can actually retain our coach.

We could have the money if the Alumni stop supporting Texas and Texas A&M because they wish they would have gone there. There are over 200,000 Alumni in the DFW metro alone. If we could get them to commit $10 a year, that is 2 million. Now, I am not expecting all the alumni in DFW to contribute, but it is an example. If we could get all the alumni in the state to contribute something, we could easily offer P5 money. They spend more money buying Texas and A&M gear and going to their games than they do supporting their own alma mater.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...