Feeling The Love!

DeepGreen

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol.   If anyone is in a Trolling mood this morning, go post this on the SMU board & watch them melt down.
No reason why they (with the same record as us, and a sound beating of us) should be 3 spots below.

Are they in the same position as us? IE one win away from a conference championship? Could be a reason why we're ranked that much higher

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Are they in the same position as us? IE one win away from a conference championship? Could be a reason why we're ranked that much higher

While that may be true, that would be pretty damn unfair to them.  No one in CUSA is anywhere near the level of UCF, USF, or Houston.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No reason why they (with the same record as us, and a sound beating of us) should be 3 spots below.

People, it explains it right on that page:

Note: Teams are measured against the overall strength of their conference.

It is not a ranking of how the teams would fair against each other, it is how powerful that team is in relation to the other teams in their conference. 

34 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

While that may be true, that would be pretty damn unfair to them.  No one in CUSA is anywhere near the level of UCF, USF, or Houston.  

UCF, USF, Houston are good yes. It's hard to argue on why UNT should be above SMU because we lost with an not so respectful score to them. But SMU has only beat up on negative record teams (besides NT) I mean Tulsa (3-6) Cincy (3-6) SFA (paycheck game). They beat Ark State, which I guess is cool but it's a funbelt team (conference way lower than AAC). The SMU-UCF score was pretty close, but SMU if above us, should only be one spot ahead of us if anything. Not by much. 

Sidenote; I think none of us read how the rankings worked. Due to Cerebus' post.

Edited by GreenTexan13

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It is not a ranking of how the teams would fair against each other, it is how powerful that team is in relation to the other teams in their conference. 

I love the coverage he gives us, but Tepper's Texas power poll is the worst I've ever seen. He tries to justify it with the explanation above, but if that's the case how in the world are Texas and A&M ranked above SMU? SMU has a better record and has played much better in their conference games. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I love the coverage he gives us, but Tepper's Texas power poll is the worst I've ever seen. He tries to justify it with the explanation above, but if that's the case how in the world are Texas and A&M ranked above SMU? SMU has a better record and has played much better in their conference games. 

It's intended to keep more fan-bases interested.  If they did a straight head to head poll the P5 schools would dominate.  This way it it creates a lot of attention.   People will share it to their fellow fans and really share it people they know who follow schools they are above.  

It's actually a really smart move in this day of social media.  It captures screen time.  

ETA:  I mean think about it, what are longhorn and aTm fans going to do when they see that poll?  Ignore it?  No.  They are going to complain to other longhorn and aggie fans about it.  Then they are going to complain... all the while sharing their disgust on social media.  

Edited by Cerebus

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

It's intended to keep more fan-bases interested.  If they did a straight head to head poll the P5 schools would dominate.  This way it it creates a lot of attention.   People will share it to their fellow fans and really share it people they know who follow schools they are above.  

It's actually a really smart move in this day of social media.  It captures screen time.  

So wouldn't ranking SMU in their correct spot (according to his rules) keep their fan base more interested? It just seems like there's one or two examples every week where he breaks his own rule. If you watch the video breakdowns on Youtube "The Other Guy" will usually call him out for it. 

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

So wouldn't ranking SMU in their correct spot (according to his rules) keep their fan base more interested? It just seems like there's one or two examples every week where he breaks his own rule. If you watch the video breakdowns on Youtube "The Other Guy" will usually call him out for it. 

But you watch it right?  

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

We've lost 1 in conference, PRETTY BAD.
They've lost 2 in conference and gave a NY6-bowl team a tough game.   Still shouldn't be ranked higher, but whatever.   He has is own metrics in his mind and he can do whatever he wants...    But my point stands regarding trolling the Mustangs.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We've lost 1 in conference, PRETTY BAD.
They've lost 2 in conference and gave a NY6-bowl team a tough game.   Still shouldn't be ranked higher, but whatever.   He has is own metrics in his mind and he can do whatever he wants...    But my point stands regarding trolling the Mustangs.

We lost one conference game and they have lost two. Conference standings don't include a "yeah, but they lost by a lot" or "yeah, but last year that team that beat us was really good." For CUSA, score differential isn't used at all to break ties - a win is simply a win regardless of it being by 1 or 69.