Odds Harrell and Filani leave for UTEP?

Andrew

GIve them reasonable raise with some more guaranteed money and add a sizable buyout clause for any G5 level job.  Honestly if I were them I would value getting a little more buzz at UNT before leaving for MAC, Sun Belt, or CUSA programs.  Those programs require you to work harder to get talent or come to the program with enough buzz to recruit to your reputation than the program’s.  And I would only consider the top half of the programs in MWC and AAC at this point.  And if I were an AD I would only be looking at coaches with 4 Consecutive years as a successful DC or OC at the same school to consider for a head coaching position.  I want to see at least one class from recruiting to graduation to know how to run a program and manage student athletes.

Edited by Mike Jackson

I would not recommend Harrell take the UTEP job unless his grand plan is to always stay in the Texas Tech recruiting region and eventually end up at Tech or one of the other P5 programs in Texas or Oklahoma.  And of the G5 programs in Texas; Rice, UNT, Texas State, and UTEP are on the same recruiting level when you take coaching staff reputation off the table.  Each present their own unique challenges.  The histories, financial resources and locations of SMU and Houston just have them on a slightly higher level.  

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You never know, plus SL was moving around to prepare for a HC job.

At least WB & NS opened the purse strings enough for me to think that he won't leave for another G5 gig.  I think he's here until a P5 poaches him... and that could be ANY P5.   See Jeff Brohm taking the Purdue job.   Brohm had a few years of success in C-USA before Purdue offered him.   I don't think Littrell is going anywhere any time soon.

Personally, I do not worry as much about assistants right now. If there is one thing that SL has proven in his time here, it's that he can find good coaching talent and replace it with more coaching talent as needed. He did an excellent job replacing coaches in the off season, I think he can do it again. 

All that said, I do like our staff and hope they don't go, but a successful season almost guarantees that we will lose more assistants. I just hope they don't end up in EP.

I say 0.001% they leave for UTEP. I could see him leaving for a P5 coordinator position but not UTEP. I think it's funny that 18 months ago we were complaining about him being to green to coordinate. Now we think he is leaving for an HC job. I think Graham still stays one more year. But we have to remember Seth is one of the top Offensive minds in country so say Graham takes an OC position at P5 I still think we will be okay and I have faith in Seth and company moving forward. I honestly don't see Graham leaving Texas or surrounding states for job.

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I say 0.001% they leave for UTEP. I could see him leaving for a P5 coordinator position but not UTEP. I think it's funny that 18 months ago we were complaining about him being to green to coordinate. Now we think he is leaving for an HC job. I think Graham still stays one more year. But we have to remember Seth is one of the top Offensive minds in country so say Graham takes an OC position at P5 I still think we will be okay and I have faith in Seth and company moving forward. I honestly don't see Graham leaving Texas or surrounding states for job.

Exactly.   Not worried about Harrell leaving, if he even does.

Someone I work with brought the possibly of someone like SL getting a look at P5 jobs (to me it’s still a bit early) and wanted to get others input since we have talked about possible coaches moving on. Ole Miss has a opening and IF they did call SL.. 

Do you think he jumps at it? I would think yea he is interested, but this is something that I’ve wondered..

They may end up getting  sanctioned.. with that being a possibly does that make someone like SL pass on it knowing he could damage his resume with the sanctions or wait it out another year and have success at UNT the very move on someplace else?

Also, how is that the LAT after his years of success and big offenses hasn’t moved on? Has he gotten looks? 

On 10/18/2017 at 6:25 PM, DeepGreen said:

Don’t discount those two coaches going to UTEP.  It’s all about the benjamins.

That is actually the problem for UTEP. GH already makes about half of what UTEP can pay its HC.  90% of FBS head coach jobs pay similar or better than what UTEP pays. If its all about the benjamins, then I doubt UTEP is worth the risk of landing in a difficult situation.

That said, if GH really feels like he is ready to be a HC (I don't think he is there yet, but he mightn have the ambition), then the money might be a secondary consideration.

Edited by outoftown

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Someone I work with brought the possibly of someone like SL getting a look at P5 jobs (to me it’s still a bit early) and wanted to get others input since we have talked about possible coaches moving on. Ole Miss has a opening and IF they did call SL.. 

Do you think he jumps at it? I would think yea he is interested, but this is something that I’ve wondered..

They may end up getting  sanctioned.. with that being a possibly does that make someone like SL pass on it knowing he could damage his resume with the sanctions or wait it out another year and have success at UNT the very move on someplace else?

Also, how is that the LAT after his years of success and big offenses hasn’t moved on? Has he gotten looks? 

I'm betting Littrell would take the Ole Miss job in a heartbeat if offered.   I just don't see that happening this year.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm betting Littrell would take the Ole Miss job in a heartbeat if offered.   I just don't see that happening this year.

See I thought the same, but the more I thought about it.. Would it be a smart choice with the possible/likely sanctions that are going to be coming?  

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

See I thought the same, but the more I thought about it.. Would it be a smart choice with the possible/likely sanctions that are going to be coming?  

He stepped into a crap situation, scholarship-wise, here too & has succeeded so far.    He believes in himself & his system... why wouldn't he take that job?

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He stepped into a crap situation, scholarship-wise, here too & has succeeded so far.    He believes in himself & his system... why wouldn't he take that job?

While I agree it was a crap situation, the difference is its likely if he did go to a place like Ole Miss (again just a random thought from a friend) he would have multiple years to deal with sanctions (likely).. At UNT he was able to just blue-shirt and bring in more recruits to go from the 60 to 80 mark in 1 year

I would think pass on a job like Ole Miss and then in a year if UNT is doing the same thing, he could/should have more offers similar to Ole Miss, but i could be wrong 

Personally I think Seth wants to stay in this area of the country. Whether that's Texas or Oklahoma, who knows, but I think he wants to be around here somewhere. I could see him taking the Tech job or maybe even consider Baylor, but Baylor is a mess right now. As far as GH, I think schools would want him to be an OC for a little longer. My main concern about SL was I thought he would consider going to OU as the OC after Stoops left. Especially since that is his alma mater. I just believe being a HC means more to him. I saw somewhere that OU OC gets paid $2,000,000 a year and SL will just start getting paid $1,000,000 next year so that's why I was concerned. 

On 10/19/2017 at 11:05 AM, UNTLifer said:

Screw this.  Let's keep up with the fundraising, let SL build the program, make Denton his home and become our Gary Patterson.

I agree. Keep giving him money. Why not UNT? If Patterson can do it at TCU, Littrell can do it at UNT. TCU wasn't always in the Big 12. They got an invite after being in CUSA and Mountain West because Patterson was able to build a winner there and the administration was able to keep him. Bill Snyder was able to do the same at K-State and K-State actually has an overall losing record as a football program since their inception. Snyder was able to turn things around over the last 30 years. UNT screwed the pooch the last time we had a great one in Hayden Fry. Back then though I don't believe the University was invested in building a sports program.I could be wrong about the Fry years and the University's commitment because I was too damn young to care even though I am from Denton. LOL

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 1