UTSA Fans discuss UNT game

Harry

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not as much Tech stuff down there as there is up here?  Wow.

not that I see.  I mean I would say that depending on the store and location (north vs south of the city) there is stuff from the Big 12. When Baylor was good and not yet caught cheating, there was a ton of their stuff. Now, not so much. T-Shirt fans are T-Shirt fans.

- unrelated -
I really wish we had an NT alum with a bar in SA to be the home base for these watching parties.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

- unrelated -
I really wish we had an NT alum with a bar in SA to be the home base for these watching parties.

Maybe talk to Don Harris?  Living in SA?  You should join me for a UTSA game some time, sometimes I end up with an extra ticket when my wife cant go. 

Forgot to mention, where I live there is also a lot of TxState stuff as well.  

• Lovely Take 1

17 minutes ago, Rowdy said:

Maybe talk to Don Harris?  Living in SA?  You should join me for a UTSA game some time, sometimes I end up with an extra ticket when my wife cant go. 

Forgot to mention, where I live there is also a lot of TxState stuff as well.  

Thanks, but I'm usually busy watching NT at the time ;)

I will probably be at the USM / UTSA game this week to get a peek at both in person since we are on the bye. I'll be the one in the green hat.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rowdy said:

lmao.  was a NT fan at a game I think actually.  

What was the initial connection between UTSA and KFC? Do they have vendor rights in the Alamodome? Was it a local franchiser that was a big supporter?  The company banking on da moneys?  I grew up and have lived the majority of my life in SA and I still don't get that association.

Edited by SAGreenFan

1 minute ago, SAGreenFan said:

What was the initial connection between UTSA and KFC? Do they have vendor rights in the Alamodome? Was it a local franchiser that was a big supporter?  The company banking on da moneys?  I grew up and have lived the majority of my life in SA and I still don't get that association. 

Honestly I have no idea, never got most of the KFC jokes either.  Chick-fil-a is a big sponser at most of the games though.  

I'm pretty sure it was the ticket drives when people bought certain meals they were doing when y'all first started out. Not the most illustrious intro into the FBS, but it has to be one of the more successful.  I just didnt know if some UTSA alum owns a hunk of the KFCs in San Antonio. 

1 hour ago, SAGreenFan said:

Really? 

School started in a shopping center by two Safeway bag boys in what 1970 after smoking some good stuff behind the dumpsters?

They picked a prairie chicken or road runner which everything eats and are usually found dead by the side of the road. 

It was found out that the bag boys used to fry up this road kill and that is was a weekend favorite so it turns out  was the reason they picked a road runner.

Others try to honer this Bag boy started in a shopping center school tradition by eating fried bird parts.

They say in UTSA that fans and mascots do need the armor of the wise KFC buckets to protect themselves from predatory animals usually picked as mascots. 

58 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

There was a big promotion 1-2 years ago when the UTSA program made the move from FCS where you could buy a bucket of KFC and it came with a free season ticket, or something to that effect.

It was a deal for upper-deck tickets to a single game in the 70,000 seat Alamodome back in 2011-12. UTSA's first and second season of football. It actually worked pretty well.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Thanks for sharing, yeah I never have seen that or heard about it.  I dont live in SA though.  

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

the reason they picked a road runner.

Side note, it was a toss up between the roadrunner and the armadillo.  Just a little history. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, bleedgreen4ever said:

I didn't get much of why we are hated rivals all of the sudden with UTSA. First time I read their board and man...there are some special folks over there. I guess I have a better understanding now. I don't really know why fan bases start attacking the other school's academics...it's sport talk and should stay at that. 

Graduation-rate-of-UT-system-schools.jpg

When you're about to be passed up by UTPB, you academics are probably pretty bad. Just saying.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

UTSA Is a glorified community college. It was birthed as an overflow for UT (CAP program).

These are facts.

You make it sound as though the sole purpose of UTSA's establishment was UT overflow. That was far from being its main purpose. That's a fact. And while it apparently makes you feel better to talk down about a school that's nearly 80 years younger than UNT, we stand out among universities that are younger than 50 years old. Times Higher Education ranks us #4 in the USA among universities under 50 years old, as well as #68 in the world in the same category. They base their rankings on excellence in teaching, research, citations, international outlook, and industry income. UTSA scored particularly strong in the citations category, which measured research influence by examining the number of times a university's published research was cited by scholars around the world.

8 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

As a matter of fact, UTSA is indeed in the process of phasing out the CAP program in the next few years because of the adverse effect it has on our graduation rates. We've made a concerted effort in recent years to push for Tier One status through a host of measures including, but not limited to, making significant improvements to our infrastructure, and paying top dollars to hire nationally recognized researchers/faculty members, highly sought after in their fields, who joined UTSA from universities such as Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Purdue, and MIT, and increasing entrance criteria. Our acceptance rate is currently at 60%, and our business school was named one of the top 5 undergraduate business programs in Texas by Bloomberg, and #10 in the nation for Hispanics. It's also ranked as one of the top ten MBA programs for minorities by the Princeton Review. We also have the #1 ranked Cyber-Security program in the nation. 

UNT was established in 1890, and UTSA didn't open its doors until 1969, so before you turn this into a pissing contest, understand that you've had about an 80-year head start to get your business in order, and I'm only here to defend my school's honor. I don't normally comment on other schools' pages, but I can't sit idly by while others disingenuously discredit the school I chose (and not by default) to earn my degree in. I'm nothing special, mind you, as I'm a middle school math teacher and coach, but I was born in Germany, learned English as a second language, and am very proud of my affiliation with the country of my birth, the USA which I'll proudly say I'm a naturalized citizen of, and my alma mater. We're definitely far from perfect, as your school is, and there's certainly always still room for improvement, but I think we're making pretty good progress for a young university.

Now, in regard to what this thread is really about, which is our impending football game, use your two weeks to prepare for us wisely, because I think you'll need it. 

Edited by Volkmar
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4