CUSA Bowl Change for This Season

James329

Just now, James329 said:

It's gonna be New Mexico for us.   Possibly New Orleans if we do well enough.  
I REALLY would like to avoid playing Army 2X/yr 2 years in a row.  I thought doing it once was stupid enough.  But I don't doubt that we would be an attractive team for the Armed Forces Bowl's selection committee.  Hopefully UTSA does not win the conference, and goes there instead.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Why swap?  I don't know why CUSA would want to do this ... but they probably did not have a choice.

No, they didn't have a choice. Bowls, and the NCAA are slowly trying to swipe the G5 out of relevance. And the G5 cowardly sits in the corner of the room watching not doing a single thing about it. 

This was a move that hurts CUSA, not help. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's gonna be New Mexico for us.   Possibly New Orleans if we do well enough.  
I REALLY would like to avoid playing Army 2X/yr 2 years in a row.  I thought doing it once was stupid enough.  But I don't doubt that we would be an attractive team for the Armed Forces Bowl's selection committee.  Hopefully UTSA does not win the conference, and goes there instead.

UNT brought big crowds to HoD. I'm sure that Armed Forces will account for that, with UNT being a local team as well.

• Lovely Take 1

This is why C-USA never should have sold the HOD to ESPN. Our commissioner should be fired. This is crap. If this is true, C-USA has just officially been relegated to the same level as the MAC and Sun Belt. I'll be calling the C-USA office.

I will not attend or watch an HOD Bowl that does not feature a C-USA team.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Why are people all worked up over the bowl game match up?

On Sunday and Monday it seemed like most people wanted the coaches removed and had given up on the team, and now we are mad we won't play in Dallas but in Fort Worth Potentially...

First week up, next week down, this week probably down but if we win again soon we will be happy once again.  To see how far we have come check out the UTEP's forum, it all sounds so familiar. They think they can get chip kelly to be the next coach at UTEP.........

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Why are people all worked up over the bowl game match up?

On Sunday and Monday it seemed like most people wanted the coaches removed and had given up on the team, and now we are mad we won't play in Dallas but in Fort Worth Potentially...

Wouldn't expect you to understand the implications of this move. But no surprise, you run to the defense of it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Wouldn't expect you to understand the implications of this move. But no surprise, you run to the defense of it. 

How did I defend it??? 

When I was pointing out people were saying the sky is falling calling for coaches to be fired, wondering if we/when we would win next and now people are complaining about a bowl game... Once we get bowl eligible then we can worry about who we are playing or who CUSA would be playing because neither Big10/12 got enough teams last year.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

How did I defend it??? 

When I was pointing out people were saying the sky is falling calling for coaches to be fired, wondering if we/when we would win next and now people are complaining about a bowl game... Once we get bowl eligible then we can worry about who we are playing or who CUSA would be playing because neither Big10/12 got enough teams last year.

It's not just a North Texas issue. It's a CUSA issue. CUSA threw away (or more likely had it taken away by ESPN) the opportunity to have a quality conference representative take our league's only contracted shot at a P5 opponent during bowl season in the HOD bowl. We traded that for a bowl against Army assuming eligibility. A huge step down. Can't be perceived any other way.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

This is excellent news.  The Armed Forces Bowl is a huge upgrade over the HUD bowl, no matter who the opponent is.

Rick

Not sure why you think that.

However, it is not the bowl; it is the opponent that is the problem.   Having an if eligible Army is not exactly a matchup that is going to excite many unless they have a super year and my guess is if that happens they would be gone to another bowl. 

The HOD was the premier bowl that CUSA has an association with,  this could very easily signal the end of that relationship.    This could be more than an one year swap, it could be the beginning of the end for CUSA's affiliation with the HOD Bowl.    

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure why you think that.

However, it is not the bowl; it is the opponent that is the problem.   Having an if eligible Army is not exactly a matchup that is going to excite many unless they have a super year and my guess is if that happens they would be gone to another bowl. 

The HOD was the premier bowl that CUSA has an association with,  this could very easily signal the end of that relationship.    This could be more than an one year swap, it could be the beginning of the end for CUSA's affiliation with the HOD Bowl.    

Not sure why I have to explain or  repeat myself again since you clearly pointed to the problem.  

The Armed Forces Bowl is a better bowl and and is in a much  better venue and location.

And I said..."No matter who the opponent is".

They were never going to give us a tie in with a P5 team unless some quirky situation were to occur.

So the only thing changing here is the location.  And the location is a phenominal upgrade.

Our main concern now is getting eligible on the field.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Not sure why I have to repeat myself, or explain it again.  

The Armed Forces Bowl is a better bowl and and is in a much  better venue and location.

And I said..."No matter the opponent".

They were never going to give us a tie in with a P5 team unless some quirky situation were to occur.

So the only thing changing here is the location.  And the location is a phenominal upgrade.

Rick

Better venue/location has nothing to do with being closer to your home does it?  
I mean, the Cotton Bowl is not the nicest stadium itself, but it is still a much more historically significant venue than Carter.  

If we were to get in (which I'm sure they'd love the crowd we'd bring, just like the HoD Bowl does) we just need to hope Air Force has an up year, or Navy has a down year so they can fill this spot instead of Army.
I think I'd rather play somewhere else than have to play Army... AGAIN.

4 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Not sure why I have to repeat myself, or explain it again.  

And I said..."No matter the opponent".

Rick

I agree with this.  The AF bowl is a MUCH better bowl, stadium, and location.  And, if you put UNT fans in that stadium against a service academy, you will probably have a sellout.

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

This is why C-USA never should have sold the HOD to ESPN. Our commissioner should be fired. This is crap. If this is true, C-USA has just officially been relegated to the same level as the MAC and Sun Belt. I'll be calling the C-USA office.

Slow down there. First of all, the current CUSA commish had nothing to do with ESPN controlling the HOD bowl. She wasn't working for CUSA when that happened. Secondly, it was the City of Dallas that gave ESPN ownership, not CUSA at all. The City created the HOD bowl when the Cotton Bowl moved to JerryWorld. 

1 hour ago, LongJim said:

The AF bowl is a MUCH better bowl, stadium, and location

Having been in a suite for part of a TCU game last year, I'm not sure how you arrive at that. Yes, the suites are MUCH better than anything at the Cotton Bowl. But the regular fan seating is roughly equal. The new concourse area at Amon is better but parking is MUCH easier at the Cotton Bowl. Getting to the parking is also much easier at the Cotton Bowl. Neither one is a particularly great stadium. It's more like "Who's the taller midget?" As for the bowl game itself, they are run by exactly the same staff out of the same office! I'm not sure how being the same makes one bowl better than the other. As for viewers, other bowl games being played at roughly the same time combined with the match up has far, FAR more to do with viewers than is the game in Ft Worth or Dallas. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Slow down there. First of all, the current CUSA commish had nothing to do with ESPN controlling the HOD bowl. She wasn't working for CUSA when that happened. Secondly, it was the City of Dallas that gave ESPN ownership, not CUSA at all. The City created the HOD bowl when the Cotton Bowl moved to JerryWorld. 

Having been in a suite for part of a TCU game last year, I'm not sure how you arrive at that. Yes, the suites are MUCH better than anything at the Cotton Bowl. But the regular fan seating is roughly equal. The new concourse area at Amon is better but parking is MUCH easier at the Cotton Bowl. Getting to the parking is also much easier at the Cotton Bowl. Neither one is a particularly great stadium. It's more like "Who's the taller midget?" As for the bowl game itself, they are run by exactly the same staff out of the same office! I'm not sure how being the same makes one bowl better than the other. As for viewers, other bowl games being played at roughly the same time combined with the match up has far, FAR more to do with viewers than is the game in Ft Worth or Dallas. 

Amon Carter is a substantially nicer venue than the Cotton Bowl. Sightlines are optimal, the proximity of the seats to the field is better, concessions and bathrooms are way nicer, much more luxurious and comfortable, etc. Parking for a bowl game at Amon Carter will be interesting with the setting of the stadium being nestled into the campus and neighborhood.

3 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

It's not just a North Texas issue. It's a CUSA issue. CUSA threw away (or more likely had it taken away by ESPN) the opportunity to have a quality conference representative take our league's only contracted shot at a P5 opponent during bowl season in the HOD bowl. We traded that for a bowl against Army assuming eligibility. A huge step down. Can't be perceived any other way.

Yea it's a possible CUSA problem, if the Big10/12 can provide enough teams.. but they haven't filled it so it doesn't matter about the match up when it's so low on the order for them to fill.