'18 ATH Antonio Gage (Dallas Madison)

UNTLifer

Wondering about this kid's academic situation.  Is that the reason a JUCO has jumped in, but no other schools since he's de-committed?

I wonder about these kids.  If a schools tells them an offer is pulled until they show academic progress, I can't figure out why they think there is some other school out there that doesn't have to meet conference and NCAA academic standards for their recruits. 

As far as Illinois not pulling their offer, think about the Illini...what do they really have to lose?  They don't recruit Texas much, or at least very well, anyway.  So, if he does qualify and signs with them, it's a plus.  If he doesn't qualify, what's it to them?  They likely have regional kids lined up anyway.  I doubt their whole recruiting scheme hinges on the back of this kid. 

Not sure about the academic situation, but unless he is attending summer school, his situation should be the same today as it was a couple of months ago when the last school year ended.  What he needs is someone chirping in his ear about taking care of his business on the field, in the classroom, etc...   His talent is obvious, but it is what is going on, or not going on, upstairs that has me concerned.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Wondering about this kid's academic situation.  Is that the reason a JUCO has jumped in, but no other schools since he's de-committed?

I wonder about these kids.  If a schools tells them an offer is pulled until they show academic progress, I can't figure out why they think there is some other school out there that doesn't have to meet conference and NCAA academic standards for their recruits. 

As far as Illinois not pulling their offer, think about the Illini...what do they really have to lose?  They don't recruit Texas much, or at least very well, anyway.  So, if he does qualify and signs with them, it's a plus.  If he doesn't qualify, what's it to them?  They likely have regional kids lined up anyway.  I doubt their whole recruiting scheme hinges on the back of this kid. 

Could be grades (I haven't seen anything reported about it), but I'm guessing the JUCO throw an offer his way early for encase other bigger schools start to pull offers/let offers expire. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The top recruits in Illinois do not go to U of I: http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/RecruitRankings?State=IL

Regional.

Half of their recruits came from Illinois or adjoining states/cities within reasonable driving distance.  They had zero from Texas.  One from California.  Seven from Florida.

So, again...whether or not this kid stays with them won't affect their normal recruiting pattern. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Regional.

Half of their recruits came from Illinois or adjoining states/cities within reasonable driving distance.  They had zero from Texas.  One from California.  Seven from Florida.

So, again...whether or not this kid stays with them won't affect their normal recruiting pattern. 

I guess I misread your previous post. . . . By "lined up," I thought you were saying that regional kids all wanted to go to Illinois.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

They might be trying to get into Texas. Looking at 247, they have several offers to Texas players, many from the DFW area, and their top commit per 247 is from Dallas (Bishop Dunne).

Their WR coach sold Lovie on the talent/skill the kids had down here.  Lovie agreed to a two year window and invested a lot of time/money in Texas they flew all but 2/3 of their staff members down and they came to the A&M commerce mega camp, and a few others.  I got to shoot the ____ with him bc they really like Jaxon.  They offered 4/5 guys after that camp. 

• Upvote 1

They've already got a 3-star WR committed out of Florida, and another 4-star kid who has them as a top team out of St. Louis. 

If they get one or two out of Texas, that would likely be fine for them.  But, they are deeper in SEC/ACC territory as well as their traditional regional territories - Cincy, St. Louis, Illinois, Louisville, Ohio. 

The speed and athletes are in SEC/ACC territory, so they are smart to invest recruiting time and money there.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

FWIW We made his top 7

Did you see the tweet that followed? I'm getting a Carlos-ian prima donna vibe and I'm pretty much over it. I get that folks believe kids should enjoy the recruiting experience, but I'm about over the "look at me" element in this particular instance.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Did you see the tweet that followed? I'm getting a Carlos-ian prima donna vibe and I'm pretty much over it. I get that folks believe kids should enjoy the recruiting experience, but I'm about over the "look at me" element in this particular instance.

"which fan base can get me to 1,400 [followers]" 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

My question is: which of those offers are still actually good?

This is a really legit question... I'm guessing that SMU is still good... I think Colorado has added multiple DBs and so has Illinois.. Hoping that we can bring in Gage and Jibbs... would be great to pair them together

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

6 hours ago, Tyler Maryak said:

parental failure?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Wasn't Gage supposed to announce this weekend? 

I saw he is still seeking out coaches.. he was tweeting at SFA and ECU just a few days ago.

He deleted the post about his commitment date. I don't know if it makes you look good or bad to seek out coaches the way he has. It seems like it would rub the coaches that have already offered the wrong way. I'm wondering if he had a bunch of offers dry up and that's why he is scrambling. If you have offers from Tech, Colorado, and Utah, you typically don't seek out the receivers coach from SFA.