'18 ATH Antonio Gage (Dallas Madison)

UNTLifer

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Looking at his Twitter, he has reached out to about 20 coaches of D1 schools since his commitment to us.  Looks to me like he is looking for a better offer, in his opinion.

I am happy he is "committed" to us, but his actions don't reflect his comments above.  I also hope he sticks and decides UNT is a great place, but as they say, actions speak louder than words.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

I agree that young man should enjoy himself and have an opportunity to look at other schools. That being said, with his talent he did not need to commit early to North Texas to lock in an offer. So I wonder if he really wants to come here and perhaps someone is putting pressure on him to keep looking? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree that young man should enjoy himself and have an opportunity to look at other schools. That being said, with his talent he did not need to commit early to North Texas to lock in an offer. So I wonder if he really wants to come here and perhaps someone is putting pressure on him to keep looking? 

My thoughts exactly.

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree that young man should enjoy himself and have an opportunity to look at other schools. That being said, with his talent he did not need to commit early to North Texas to lock in an offer. So I wonder if he really wants to come here and perhaps someone is putting pressure on him to keep looking

And if he wants to, that's fine.  It's the way the recruiting game is played.
I assure you the coaches are also doing the same.   He has every right to keep fishing, just like Littrell & Co kept fishing & cut bait with that committed Belton TE kid from last year's class.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And if he wants to, that's fine.  It's the way the recruiting game is played.
I assure you the coaches are also doing the same.   He has every right to keep fishing, just like Littrell & Co kept fishing & cut bait with that committed Belton TE kid from last year's class.

I 100% agree with you. However, this is the part of the "game" that I think allows for "opportunities" for under-the-table things to happen ( and NO I am not talking about this specific kid) when there is so much shopping around.

* My crazy thought ---

I personally would like to see commitments binding once they are signed (by both the school and the athlete). I think it would eliminate schools from offering kids when they know they are going to "un-offer" once another kid commits.  It would also make the schools me careful with their offers - and I do think this would benefit G5 school. And last, I do believe it would help reduce the opportunities for schools, boosters, etc. from doing certain things to sway the kids.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I 100% agree with you. However, this is the part of the "game" that I think allows for "opportunities" for under-the-table things to happen ( and NO I am not talking about this specific kid) when there is so much shopping around.

* My crazy thought ---

I personally would like to see commitments binding once they are signed (by both the school and the athlete). I think it would eliminate schools from offering kids when they know they are going to "un-offer" once another kid commits.  It would also make the schools me careful with their offers - and I do think this would benefit G5 school. And last, I do believe it would help reduce the opportunities for schools, boosters, etc. from doing certain things to sway the kids.

A commitment doesn't mean a signing.  Those are two different things.    As of now, signing day is in February... although there was talk about having an early signing period, I don't know when that would go into effect if passed.   So any kind of "commitment" from a recruit is just a placeholder with no binding whatsoever.   But, once they do sign, it IS binding.
I think an early signing period (like what basketball has) would be good to help eliminate a lot of what you're talking about.   But I bet many kids would string out their recruiting to allow for more opportunities.

Again, Mr. Gage is having fun with this, and he should.   As of now, he has several G5 & P5 offers, and he considers UNT the best.  That is a good thing... for us, because he's obviously a great player... for him, because, well, UNT is the best school!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A commitment doesn't mean a signing.  Those are two different things.    As of now, signing day is in February... although there was talk about having an early signing period, I don't know when that would go into effect if passed.   So any kind of "commitment" from a recruit is just a placeholder with no binding whatsoever.   But, once they do sign, it IS binding.
I think an early signing period (like what basketball has) would be good to help eliminate a lot of what you're talking about.   But I bet many kids would string out their recruiting to allow for more opportunities.

Again, Mr. Gage is having fun with this, and he should.   As of now, he has several G5 & P5 offers, and he considers UNT the best.  That is a good thing... for us, because he's obviously a great player... for him, because, well, UNT is the best school!

Starts this year and it'll be same time frame as the JUCO December signing period.  Only bad thing is (and it isn't the end of the world) but possibly have kids competing in the state championship run and also making that decision.  Obviously they can wait just something I thought about when this was all announced. 

• Upvote 1

@MeanGreenTexan The process should absolutely be enjoyed, I guess I was just raised in a household that your word was as good as a binding contract, or you didn't say you would do something. We don't know the situation, maybe the pressure isn't his, maybe he's fighting a different battle we don't know about. I hope, in the end, he gets to go where he wants and not where some parent, coach or mentor thinks he should go. I want him to succeed, even if it isn't here. But every recruit should remember that for every kid with 30 offers there are 30 kids hoping for one.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

@MeanGreenTexan The process should absolutely be enjoyed, I guess I was just raised in a household that your word was as good as a binding contract, or you didn't say you would do something. We don't know the situation, maybe the pressure isn't his, maybe he's fighting a different battle we don't know about. I hope, in the end, he gets to go where he wants and not where some parent, coach or mentor thinks he should go. I want him to succeed, even if it isn't here. But every recruit should remember that for every kid with 30 offers there are 30 kids hoping for one.

Well stated.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:01 AM, GMG24 said:

Starts this year and it'll be same time frame as the JUCO December signing period.  Only bad thing is (and it isn't the end of the world) but possibly have kids competing in the state championship run and also making that decision.  Obviously they can wait just something I thought about when this was all announced. 

I'm assuming them signing in DEC still locks them into that school. Or could the have a change of heart and go else where?

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm assuming them signing in DEC still locks them into that school. Or could the have a change of heart and go else where?

cant have a change of heart unless they get a release from their LOI. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2017 at 3:06 PM, Cerebus said:

The NT folks tweeting the NCAA asking about this are great. 

Might want to include local media like Vito, Mike Doocy, etc, and see if they get interested in obvious recruiting violations.  

Several on here who are boosters have tweeted kids.  It is what it is, NCAA ain't doing anything about it.  Kevin Sumlin tweeted a pic with kid who hadn't signed yet and nothing happened.  Too hard to monitor social media, NCAA behind the times and it's beyond obvious 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Too hard to monitor social media, NCAA behind the times and it's beyond obvious 

Problem is sooner or later one of the big schools is going to fall behind, get upset, and have enough pull to get the NCAA to act.

The NCAA is then going to need to make an example of someone.  We all know they won't be making an example out of one of the big schools...

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Problem is sooner or later one of the big schools is going to fall behind, get upset, and have enough pull to get the NCAA to act.

The NCAA is then going to need to make an example of someone.  We all know they won't be making an example out of one of the big schools...

This is true, just know we aren't totally innocent either.  But not on the level of UTSA, UH, BU etc.