MGB: Football news and notes

Brett Vito

I'm guessing that rumor of Mainord leaving, but that was him to Texas(which I believe Tech filled the spot/never opened it)... but I would guess with the success of the DBs maybe Brooks? I would think Ruef and Ek are safe nor would leave without getting a DC job,

4 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Anyone in the know have an idea who we lose?

Edited by BTG_Fan1

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

my guess is Eke.

if true, ,make reffett head dc bring in zach orr as linebackers coach

I have no info, but if EK got just a position coaching job else where he would take over staying Co-DC? I would think with the defense got ran over at the end of the year, that would drive people away?

Also, you think Orr is ready to be a coach? Not saying he isn't... in those videos he seemed to be great at breaking down film, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It makes me sad to see this coaching staff start to unravel so soon. There is much to accomplish here and they are on the right track. You can't fault a guy for listening to a yuuuge offer that improves his life and resume...but really...only here for a year?

200.gif#75

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I love Zach.  But c'mon . . . who hires someone as an FBS position coach with zero coaching experience?

I'm really hoping it's not Ek or Reffett, though.

The Baltimore Ravens hired Mike Singletary as their LBs coach with no prior coaching experience.   Gotta start somewhere.

Again, if Zach has a passion to coach, that scenario (Ek leaving, freeing up a LB coach spot) would be extremely ideal for all involved.

• Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I love Zach.  But c'mon . . . who hires someone as an FBS position coach with zero coaching experience?

I'm really hoping it's not Ek or Reffett, though.

Gotta live it to teach it. An undersized, overachieving NFL LB that was considered one of the top LB in the NFL would be perfect! Oh and an alum of Desoto and UNT!

• Upvote 1

While I would like to bring in an Experienced coach, having Zac join the staff right now wouldn't be terrible if Ek did leave. Zac is would have Reff and LB to lean on up the middle. Also, Zac is someone that would bring the energy lost from Ek. I think a lot of these guys also would look up to him as a role model, someone who was doubted everywhere but still broke threw.. Also, Zac is someone who isn't or wouldn't be afraid to ask for help or anything, along with Zacs LBs would most often be going up vs SLs RBs at practice as well or Mainfords inside WRs, that they could help I'm out as well.

What he did in that film breakdown with Robertson and Scott showed he is someone that loves to watch film. Also feel like Zac could help connect with recent grads and present day students who knew who he was...

• Upvote 2