MGB: Football news and notes

Brett Vito

Put me in the camp of being in favor of Zach becoming the LBs coach. If there is one former player that I think has the drive and passion to be successful in whatever he does, it's Zach Orr. Go back and listen to the Baltimore coaches talk about his work ethic. He was a student of the game and can now help teach other players who may not have the physical characteristics of a top 200 player make up for it just like he did.

• Upvote 3

It is pretty obvious that it is Ek. 

The guy lived away from his family in an RV outside the football offices. That is hardly a permanent situation. I don't think he even moved his family to Texas.

Also, when he got here he crushed recruiting with all those late signees. Didn't even hear any kids mention him in the '17 signing class. I may be wrong about this, but I also noticed him missing from all the signing day stuff. Seems like he has already checked out.

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 3

This is where I read the stuff about the Ravens wanting to keep him on.  http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2017/01/27/making-mark-field-former-desoto-unt-nfl-standout-zach-orr-looks-next-chapter

Some quotes from the article:

The Ravens hope to hire him back this spring in some capacity, either in coaching or in personnel.

"This guy is one of the smartest football players I've ever been around," Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees said.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

It makes me sad to see this coaching staff start to unravel so soon. There is much to accomplish here and they are on the right track. You can't fault a guy for listening to a yuuuge offer that improves his life and resume...but really...only here for a year?

200.gif#75

While it is sad to see them leave, it is a positive sign that bigger schools are wanting to pick up these guys.. It will make UNT more attractive to other coaches because of the ability to bounce back, and build some recruiting ties in texas

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm going to throw a name out there to consider for filling the opening. Charles Harris. He has coached OLBs, RBs, & ST. He was a student assistant at UTSA. He played some minor league ball and did some minor league coaching. Would let Littrell move off of RBs and focus on game management and if it is Ek this guy could also work with the LBs. just a name I think we should be aware of and watch for.

3 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Would let Littrell move off of RBs and focus on game management 

Considering Tommy Perry was let go, I would think Littrell really wanted to coach the RBs.  If not, then that really makes the Perry decision more confusing.  

Maybe it was just the fact that he wasn't picked by Littrell or he wanted to get rid of everything from the previous staff.  I was told that the coaches didn't want to consider any evaluations or performances from the past, and everything was starting from scratch.

In theory, that sounds good, and it is a mindset you want your players to have.  But to not carry over a positive from the previous seasons could come back to hurt.  Special teams under Perry did very well.  The kicking game was good last year, but that may be due to the experience and talent of the players.  The other aspects seem to take a step back.  I may not be 100% accurate on this, but I seem to remember at least a few run backs on kick/punt under mac.  The coverage also didn't allow much.  This year, the runs and the coverage look worse, and I'm not sure if we had any blocked kicks.  Seems to me Perry wasnt allowed to do his thing.and wasn't liked by this staff.

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Prefer Mr. Orr, but going to throw another name out there and let you all comment.  Marcus Trice @BeGreatEight  

Honestly considering how poorly we recruited this cycle, I think we should look at creating a recruiting team that could include both Trice and Orr. Hell, now we don't have to pay Ek so we could probably afford to bring on both. 

They could have dual responsibilities. Recruiting and helping their respective position coaches, while also learning what it takes to be a coach. However, their main responsibility would be to stay connected to recruits and build relationships that will ultimately help them once they take the next step.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cdizzle86 said:

Honestly considering how poorly we recruited this cycle, I think we should look at creating a recruiting team that could include both Trice and Orr. Hell, now we don't have to pay Ek so we could probably afford to bring on both. 

They could have dual responsibilities. Recruiting and helping their respective position coaches, while also learning what it takes to be a coach. However, their main responsibility would be to stay connected to recruits and build relationships that will ultimately help them once they take the next step.

While I do agree, that the staff should look into ways to bring in Trice/Cobb/Quinn/Mean Joe among others... I would say if they can bring in Orr as a coach, with Trice and them being guys that help in recruiting/ speaking with recruits. Trice/Quinn/Cobb could be guys who come up and talk to the recruits in town one night for dinner or something, along with the others being with the kids during the game possibly? and Mean Joe could come talk to them before the games(not sure how much traveling he likes to do). I do like the helping out the coaches, when you watch the 30 for 30 about The U, Micheal Irvin says that after he graduated his class/group of guys would come back to help the kids out on the sideline..

• Upvote 1