Does everyone expect Mason Fine to start at HOD ?

greenjoe

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, UNT09 said:

If you know football you would know th

2. Alec Morris had to start into a new team, new system which majority of times any QB  would be rusty in their first game. The offensive line had to get adjusted into a new blocking system which is not easy. My opinion, he didn't really get a fair chance and he still has thrown amount of same TD passes as Mason with less games played.

I must have missed something.  Did Fine not start with a new team this year?

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:53 PM, UNT09 said:

We would of won 5 games without Mason Fine. We wouldn't have won 5 games without Wilson. 

Maybe, but we didn't beat $mut or tuEP with Morris.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Why don't you & about 2 others of you take this QB subject & apparent revelations on the Fine aspects of this subject to Seth Littrell. I know he'd be interested since he chose the starting QB for every game this season. Also, because I think the rest of us know by now how all your  hardy handful feel about the true freshman.

Harry or Cerebus:. Is it near close to time of shutting this thread down to any more responses?  Seems all that can be said has been said. Just sayin'...

Plum, UNT09 may have an unpopular opinion but he was within realm to state it on page 1 of this thread.  You're initial reply to him on this thread seemed to start the derail*, inspiring people to defend their opinions.

*not really a derail, but some of y'all don't seems to care for anything anti-Fine.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I must have missed something.  Did Fine not start with a new team this year?

Maybe, but we didn't beat $mut or tuEP with Morris.

We also didn't beat anyone in the last month of Mason Starting, nor did he keep us in those games... nor did Fine do much vs Rice either, nor army... soo 3 of the 5 Ws mason did nothing/little for us.. 

also, Morris did get screwed by the OL and again Morris was our leading passing through 4 games.. and he played 3Qs to Fines 3 and 1/4 

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Plum, UNT09 may have an unpopular opinion but he was within realm to state it on page 1 of this thread.  You're initial reply to him on this thread seemed to start the derail*, inspiring people to defend their opinions.

*not really a derail, but some of y'all don't seems to care for anything anti-Fine.

Anyone who seems "anti-fine" is viewed as a trader basically and -1 whenever possibly here. Everyone wants Fine to be the savior and honestly the kid wasn't. He managed the game super conservatively while Morris got screwed by INTs vs SMU which 2/3 of INTs were on the WRs. I hope to God Izzy or Pearson comes in and lights it up, because it will be like usually when everyone flips from Fine to whoever the new star is. But once again, everyone loves and wants Fine to be great, but as the QB you get all the credit or all of the blame.. no if ands or buts about it.  But Fine is not a locked in starter.. we only have 2 guys who have locked up a spot for next year and maybe 1 or 2 more in Wilson and McClain.. with Brooke's and Jenkins as probables.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

also, Morris did get screwed by the OL and again Morris was our leading passing through 4 games.. and he played 3Qs to Fines 3 and 1/4.

That was all due to play calling and Morris' unwillingness to tuck it and run. I know we have 1 quarterback with a 300 yard passing game this year and it isn't the one who played for Nick Saban.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

Now it's my fault?  How rich.?

Shouldn't we all be attempting to be upbeat to encourage the purchase of bowl tickets by new fans & students who if they are reading all this tommyrot may say:  "Thanks but no thanks to this."

I just don't see constant criticism of any of our players as edifying. A potential recruit reading this may also say:  "No thanks! No wonder this program has had problems with this kind of verbal bashing & non-support for even a true freshmen who appears to have played his heart out."

➡️ At one time this board tried to dissuade this kind of criticism of our players or keep it at a minimum.  Why not celebrate a 1 win team last year having a bowl game this year instead of hammering on players who helped us get this bowl game?  Look at how many 5 win teams didn't get a bowl game this year?  

Fry once took a 4 win SMU team to a bowl back in the early 60's, but if you happen to see the results of that game today it's never says:  "Oh by the way, SMU only won 4 games to get this bowl."

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

16 hours ago, Green P1 said:

I'd personally like to see Connor Means get some playing time.   How are we ever going to know what we have in him if we don't see it?

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

He is a running back now.

I thought he was moved to WR? 

Fine. I was an early defender of Morris, but you can't blame WR and OL for all his picks and poor completion percentage this year unless you want to for Mason as well. One of them is a 6'3, 230lb 5th year senior who came from the best program in college football. The other is a 5'10, 170lb freshman from Locust Grove, OK. One of them SHOULD be head and shoulders above the other. But he isn't. And because he isn't, there's no reason (barring health) he should get the start. 

Now, that doesn't mean that Mason did an amazing enough job to be the guy going forward into perpetuity. I expect a QB competition every off season. But he did better than I would have expected, given that I was one who thought he needed a redshirt year. Morris was far more disappointing, IMO. Neither was great. 

I expect the coaches to put in the QB they think gives them the best chance to win. They have the most informed opinion, anyway. 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

That was all due to play calling and Morris' unwillingness to tuck it and run. I know we have 1 quarterback with a 300 yard passing game this year and it isn't the one who played for Nick Saban.

I'd hope Fine pass for 300 in a game with him with the Weapons that he had when he was in... and with how many more games he played in compared to Morris... Because I mean, Morris tied Fine in TDs and Morris played what 3 and half games... 

7 hours ago, dd992emo said:

Seeing the same posters repeating their criticism of Fine in numerous threads tells me there is something besides his throwing ability that they have a problem with.

got no problems with fine.. gotta repeat it multiple times in different threads because its the same valid points to criticism him on. Everyone thinks he is a savior but he hasn't do anything to stand out besides vs Marshall and times vs MTSU/UTSA... when Fine goes out and puts up a 300/400 game with 3+ TDs and 0 Turnovers on a game in and out then we can say how great he is.. but again, he has had flashes but other times down right terrible. We can say he is freshman but he played with the better OL, RBs, WRs. Morris didnt't have the great OL vs WKU/SM/UTEP or the RBs/WRs either... Yes morris messed up and never did i put all the blame on these other spots. I was saying morris played a fraction of the time but gets alot more blame, because he came from Bama... Morris would have worked out his problems with more time, and the huge thing that is overlooked by everyone is Fine and the # of sacks he took. He could have avoided a few but just getting the ball out of his hand like Morris does... But again, neither one of these QBs should be getting the lionshare of the snaps at the HoD, they should rotate them and go with the hot hand... Beating Army could be/ and should be a big deal... Army has beaten Temple and Navy, and Army is a top 5 defense as well. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, dd992emo said:

You typed all that other garbage just to make the point that you like Morris more than Fine? I get it...

informed conversations are something adults should try and strive for when discussing a subject... but again you missed the ending when I say who/how the QB spot should be handled. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/9/2016 at 10:58 PM, Felozano said:

Fine, if healthy, is a much better passer, and runner, than Morris. Morris has better size, but Fine should be the starter. My two cents...

Side note:  I had high hopes for Morrris, and none for Fine, prior to the SMU game. 

Morris will get the start, just be patient and don't panic.

Edited by UNT09
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:30 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'd hope Fine pass for 300 in a game with him with the Weapons that he had when he was in... and with how many more games he played in compared to Morris... Because I mean, Morris tied Fine in TDs and Morris played what 3 and half games... 

got no problems with fine.. gotta repeat it multiple times in different threads because its the same valid points to criticism him on. Everyone thinks he is a savior but he hasn't do anything to stand out besides vs Marshall and times vs MTSU/UTSA... when Fine goes out and puts up a 300/400 game with 3+ TDs and 0 Turnovers on a game in and out then we can say how great he is.. but again, he has had flashes but other times down right terrible. We can say he is freshman but he played with the better OL, RBs, WRs. Morris didnt't have the great OL vs WKU/SM/UTEP or the RBs/WRs either... Yes morris messed up and never did i put all the blame on these other spots. I was saying morris played a fraction of the time but gets alot more blame, because he came from Bama... Morris would have worked out his problems with more time, and the huge thing that is overlooked by everyone is Fine and the # of sacks he took. He could have avoided a few but just getting the ball out of his hand like Morris does... But again, neither one of these QBs should be getting the lionshare of the snaps at the HoD, they should rotate them and go with the hot hand... Beating Army could be/ and should be a big deal... Army has beaten Temple and Navy, and Army is a top 5 defense as well. 

rotating QB's rarely works......don't do it

• Upvote 2