Does everyone expect Mason Fine to start at HOD ?

greenjoe

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Alright? 

You must've meant this as a dig. Again, let's attack the issues at hand. Not each other. Stating Fine needs to improve and Wilson carried his ass to the finish line (in our wins) allows me to receive this little comment of yours. This fan base and athletic department cannot afford to ever again shell up. Pertinent issues need to be talked about. Ad nauseam if that's what it takes to turn this thing around. 

Didn't mean it as a dig.  I meant it seriously.  As much as you critique it would be interesting to see how successful you'd be.  It is always easier on the outside.  That isn't defending a coach, thats as a fan.  This team was worse than most FCS schools this year and yet somehow this staff found a way to get them to 5-7.  I still can't believe they got there.  Fine needs to improve on things absolutely.  But, getting more than the snap of the ball to make a read would be very helpful in seeing what he could truly do.  IMO 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Give Fine a banged up Wilson in any of those 4 wins, we lose all but 1 (Bethune). That's an opinion being as close to fact as it gets. Fine MUST improve or Pearson/Isladore has to be better. If not, we'll be scratching and clawing to bowl eligibility in 2017, even with what will be an easier schedule. 

We were 5-7.  Everyone needs to improve.  Hopefully all the underclassmen that return next year are better/faster/stronger/smarter than they were this year.  I think that should be expected of every player on the roster.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Didn't mean it as a dig.  I meant it seriously.  As much as you critique it would be interesting to see how successful you'd be.  It is always easier on the outside.  That isn't defending a coach, thats as a fan.  This team was worse than most FCS schools this year and yet somehow this staff found a way to get them to 5-7.  I still can't believe they got there.  Fine needs to improve on things absolutely.  But, getting more than the snap of the ball to make a read would be very helpful in seeing what he could truly do.  IMO 

Yes, it would have been nice to have had a UNT veteran QB who would have been in a system for Mason to under-study, but he didn't so how some used to describe what happened to him this season from a 1 win team the previous season is....... "he was basically thrown to the wolves."   I like how Mason handled the wolves and told a GMG.com power that be that in a phone conversation last week....he more than concurred.  We both like Fine's upside very much.

GMG

20 hours ago, UNT09 said:

If you know football you would know that

1. Our offensive line was bad this year

2. Alec Morris had to start into a new team, new system which majority of times any QB  would be rusty in their first game. The offensive line had to get adjusted into a new blocking system which is not easy. My opinion, he didn't really get a fair chance and he still has thrown amount of same TD passes as Mason with less games played.

3. Jeffrey Wilson carried us this season

4. No true play maker at the WR along with depth.

How was #2 any different for Fine?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Wholeheartedly agree. Fine did have some moments but the Defense/Run Game bailed him out a lot and that's the reality of this season. Pearson and Isadore are both very talented and having them here will ramp up the competition and make everyone better. 

Talking about Fine having to develop and having competition makes people pissed here and I have no idea. I had been saying they need to rotate the QBs since UTSA. Fine was either hurt and hiding it, or just in a freshman streak..But in 2/3 years we have to hope that Fine is the least talented on our roster, because that means we are bringing in better talent. Fine shoudn't be the locked in starter next year, he hasn't earned nor should any spot have a locked in starter besides McClain and Wilson.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Talking about Fine having to develop and having competition makes people pissed here and I have no idea. I had been saying they need to rotate the QBs since UTSA. Fine was either hurt and hiding it, or just in a freshman streak..But in 2/3 years we have to hope that Fine is the least talented on our roster, because that means we are bringing in better talent. Fine shoudn't be the locked in starter next year, he hasn't earned nor should any spot have a locked in starter besides McClain and Wilson.

6 td passes thrown....definitely not  locked in as a starter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

30 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Why don't you & about 2 others of you take this QB subject & apparent revelations on the Fine aspects of this subject to Seth Littrell. I know he'd be interested since he chose the starting QB for every game this season. Also, because I think the rest of us know by now how all your  hardy handful feel about the true freshman.

Harry or Cerebus:. Is it near close to time of shutting this thread down to any more responses?  Seems all that can be said has been said. Just sayin'...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Why don't you & about 2 others of you take this QB subject & apparent revelations on the Fine aspects of this subject to Seth Littrell. I know he'd be interested since he chose the starting QB for every game this season & that's because I think the rest of us know by now all how you feel about the true freshman.

Harry or Cerebus:. Is it near close to time of shutting this thread down to any more responses?  Seems all that can be said has been said. Just sayin'...

Just because we bring up valid points doesn't mean you have to get upset. These are legit worries, and reason as to why Fine shouldn't be expected to start the HoD. We just think he isn't up to speed or brings the passing ability of Morris. Rotate them and play them both, but it shouldn't be 1 QB show.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Why don't you & about 2 others of you take this QB subject & apparent revelations on the Fine aspects of this subject to Seth Littrell. I know he'd be interested since he chose the starting QB for every game this season. Also, because I think the rest of us know by now how all your  hardy handful feel about the true freshman.

This is a NT football forum. What's wrong with a little football talk? Why would we want everyone to have the same opinions?? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Are you serious? You must've been an absolute #ThanksRV and Dan McCarney supporter. This is a board where people come to talk about the team that we follow. There has not been one derogatory remark thrown at one player (unless you think stating a player needs to improve counts). 

You seem like a great fan. But why would you not want discrepancies put on the table to be discussed? Some threads do go in circles, but many times it's because differences of opinion. That is called conversing. Locking threads that don't represent the sewer pit of the old AD is not what this fan base, athletic department, or what this board needs. Everything needs to be communicated thoroughly. Good and bad. Right now, even in what most people are considering to be a "good" year, the bad still far outweighs the good. And our porous recruiting is compounding the matter. Let's avoid locking threads when there is civil conversation going on and not bash the people that are being slightly critical of things that need critical attention (in an inadvertent or in your case direct way of getting a thread shut down). 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9