MGB: Seth Littrell press conference notes

Brett Vito

– Littrell said he didn’t see anything on tape when reviewing the Army game that explained why UNT didn’t throw the ball particularly well in its loss to the Black Knights. UNT had receivers open. Mason Fine was a bit off and threw for 118 yards.

@Brett Vito

Shouldn't that say in our 'win to the Black Knights'? Yeah, that might be me being picky but there's a huge difference between 3-4 and 4-3.

• Upvote 3

It was quite windy that day with some strong gusts.   Enough so that it knocked down two of our FG attempts and kept the parachute team from delivering the ball during the pre-game festivities.  It seemed to me the ball sailed on a few throws and anything deep was going to be affected. 

I still don't understand why UTSA can't be considered a rivalry.   They are close, they have played us tough every time we have played them and back in 2013 they kept us out of the Conference championship game, played dirty as S and talked more smack that I can remember.   It seems to me that it is just because they are a young program and some see them as beneath us which to me is ridiculous.  

Same song different verse with SMU.   How is that not considered a rivalry game?  They have intentionally f**ked us in the past in regards to conference, thumbed their noses at us and demeaned us as fans of this program.  We are in each others back yard, play each other every year like we should and the "Safeway Bowl" is turning into my favorite game of the year.   

We all want rivalries but the two that are growing organically many of us downplay for one reason or another.   You can't pick your family....   you can't pick your rivals either.  Some things just happen.

• Upvote 7

13 minutes ago, hickoryhouse said:

I still don't understand why UTSA can't be considered a rivalry.   They are close, they have played us tough every time we have played them and back in 2013 they kept us out of the Conference championship game, played dirty as S and talked more smack that I can remember.   It seems to me that it is just because they are a young program and some see them as beneath us which to me is ridiculous.  

Same song different verse with SMU.   How is that not considered a rivalry game?  They have intentionally f**ked us in the past in regards to conference, thumbed their noses at us and demeaned us as fans of this program.  We are in each others back yard, play each other every year like we should and the "Safeway Bowl" is turning into my favorite game of the year.   

We all want rivalries but the two that are growing organically many of us downplay for one reason or another.   You can't pick your family....   you can't pick your rivals either.  Some things just happen.

I think UTSA lacks history for one.  Secondly, no one cares about them.  Playing UTSA doesn't move the needle for fans at all.  SMU does.  MTSU does for those who remember our history with them. Rice, UTEP both move the needle with their history.  Marshall moves the needle due to their history.  UTSA?   Nope.  Of all the CUSA West teams, I think about them the least.  

My issue is Vito pushing and pushing the issue.  Maybe it can be a rivalry one day but it's not there yet.  The bad blood isn't there. Vito is just clueless as usual. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

32 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I think UTSA lacks history for one.  Secondly, no one cares about them.  Playing UTSA doesn't move the needle for fans at all.  SMU does.  MTSU does for those who remember our history with them. Rice, UTEP both move the needle with their history.  Marshall moves the needle due to their history.  UTSA?   Nope.  Of all the CUSA West teams, I think about them the least.  

My issue is Vito pushing and pushing the issue.  Maybe it can be a rivalry one day but it's not there yet.  The bad blood isn't there. Vito is just clueless as usual. 

Listening to the Littrell Show tonight it kinds sounds like the players consider UTSA to be a rival.  I'm not sure where that comes from because the fans don't seem to feel that way. 

• Downvote 1

Nutsack has no history, no one knows who they are on a regional standpoint and of course a national standpoint. They busted our bubble in 2013 and I spite them for that forever. But, as an over 100 year old program, we can do much better. Tie ourselves to La Tech or smug for rivalry consideration. We need that "program" down there of theirs to fizzle out into complete irrelevance. Don't dangle on a nutsack. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, hickoryhouse said:

I don't see the program as beneath us, just the school. Why not get NCTC to start a team? They're close, and if we're going to consider that joke of a school a rival, we might as well NCTC.

• Upvote 2

UTSA royally f'ed our shot at a Conference Title in our first ever bout with them. And ever since we absolutely despise losing to them.

If those aren't the near-perfect terms to years later realize the inception of a rivalry, I don't know what else we would have going for us.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 2