817 Commit

TheReal_jayD

Newman!  He looks like the prototypical center.  To me, Donovan has the feet and athletic ability to move to guard and possibly tackle.  Love these three OL verbals.  Certainly hope they all sign on the dotted line that first Wednesday in February.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I would much rather keep the #3 center in Texas at center, but maybe that's just me

not bad having the #3 and #15 on that list... But Donovan i think is also a top guard also, but this staff will play the 5 best which I think we all can agree on and are excited to see

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I would much rather keep the #3 center in Texas at center, but maybe that's just me

This was my thought as well. Don't really see why you would him from Center. 247 has him as the number 15 center in the country. You don't move a guy like that unless you have to or if Dakoda Newman just blows every body away leading up to football season. I don't believe next year's Center is currently on the roster and I think Donovan is to start as a true freshman while this kid red shirts.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

I'm not sure about the success rate of most true freshman OL in C-USA, but if these kids aren't going to play I would love to have them redshirted and spend a year just in the gym.. But if they are the best players, play them.  But Donovan has talked about how he was being brought in to play either G or C, so only reason why we all think it will be Spoon at T, Don at G and Newman at C...

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5436712/57f3ccec688ec5321c179d44 Just watched the first few minutes and pretty impressive that he is just tossing and shoving around the DL

• Upvote 1

First off, just amazing domination from this guy on his assignments.  Maybe someone can educate me though, some of these moves look like tackles to me that could be considered holds.  What's the difference between just arm tackling the guy and a good "block".  His takedowns all look very similar, where he sort of uses his arms to bring the guy down to the ground, but not necessarily with the defender ending up his back.  To my untrained eyes it looks dangerously close to a "tackle". 

1 hour ago, Stan R said:

First off, just amazing domination from this guy on his assignments.  Maybe someone can educate me though, some of these moves look like tackles to me that could be considered holds.  What's the difference between just arm tackling the guy and a good "block".  His takedowns all look very similar, where he sort of uses his arms to bring the guy down to the ground, but not necessarily with the defender ending up his back.  To my untrained eyes it looks dangerously close to a "tackle". 

You are correct i do see a lot of holds!

17 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

OU took on of my good friends who was ranked in the top 10 in the nation at Guard and moved him to Center.   Also, Newman is the number 15 center.   Not a bad list...