Good & Bad

cdizzle86

On October 2, 2016 at 8:27 AM, DoctorJJ said:

You guys knocking Fine are nuts. Yes, nuts. He completed 61% of his passes and probably had 6-7 drops. Had those been caught, and they should have been, he would have completed 74% of his passes. Yet he missed "too many open receivers"??? How many should he have hit that he missed? Another 7 or so? I guess that means you guys fully expect him to complete 90% of his passes. Just trying to see where the bar is, maybe he can clear it.

On the last scoring drive there were 2 drops including the 2 point conversion (that hit the guy in the facemask). That was a perfectly thrown ball, down and to the outside where only the receiver could catch it. He didn't. He went down to catch it and it bounced off of his facemask. I suppose that was Mason's fault too.

He's playing with receivers who aren't playing up to the level we know that they can and with an offensive line that is struggling. He has about 5 milliseconds to throw and even when it's a strike, its being dropped far too often. Despite that, he's thrown 1 INT in 138 attempts. Some of you guys need to rethink your positions and get behind this guy and this team a little more!

Who is knocking Mason Fine?  Guess I'm not reading all the posts??

? Mr. Fine is a keeper with much upside.  He's the kind of QB you can build a program around.  Last year about this time he was playing at the equivalent of a Texas 2A or 3A high school which to me makes his story even more remarkable. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5

On 10/1/2016 at 10:08 PM, Harry said:

I think our defense played well at times.  We really need help on the online was my main take away.

yep.  

the D actually played really solid up until late in the second half.  they were just gassed by that point. due to the Oline play, after scoring on the opening drive, UNT went 3 and out 6 times in a row. that can't happen.
MTSU is probably the best team in the CUSA, thought our D played very solid. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with @GrandGreen that it seems sometimes people didn't watch the same game. Or maybe they hyperfocus on one thing.

QB - Mason didn't play great, but if he'd had some help on offense it was well enough to win. Most of his mistakes were inexperience.
Oline - Where the game was lost. Not only was our running game ineffective, it was actually a negative. Anytime we ran it just ut us in a bigger ole. It's difficult to win without a running game.
Receivers - Didn't have a great game either. Several drops and difficulty getting open in the 2 seconds Fine had to find them.

The defense played ok. It's hard to say they played well when they were awful on 3rd down. Late in the 3rd MTSU was something like 67% conversion on 3rd down.

Even so, the defense did play well enough to win if they'd had some help from the offense.

Keena is a weapon.

I was impressed with the teams fight. I didn't expect it to be as close as it was so I was less disappointed than I expected.

Watched the came on CampusInsiders.  BTW, the announcers and the product were very good.  Many of the OL penalties were on #77 Woodworth, but replays didn't always bear out the penalty called.  The officiating was very poor.  I saw a team that is still growing, never gives up, believes in their coaching staff, a coaching staff that is passionate about coaching these young men, etc...  Yes, there were some bad moments, but didn't we expect that this year?  This program is in so much better shape than a year ago, but we must be patient and know that good things are coming.

Couple other quick thoughts/comments:

McClain is a great talent at Safety.  What has happened to Gray this year?

Garner is playing really well at LB.

Our DB's are stout this  year, really impressed with that group.

If we could generate consistent pressure, then this defense could be awesome.  That, and the offense giving them a break or two by not going three and out.

Edited by UNTLifer

23 hours ago, GreenGuy123 said:

Can someone tell me why we continue to throw to fade routes? Unless we get Dez Bryant out there, let's not waste downs.

I am so with you on this.  That play is as big a beating as "Hey, Baby".  It is a complete waste of a down.  I think most officials look at it as, "If you're going to run that stupid play, under no circumstances am I reaching for the flag."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenGonzo said:

You're right kj86, "Hey Baby" is a huge beating because the Green Brigade plays it when we're losing or about to lose.  They should only play that tune when the game is solidly in our hands with a couple of minutes left.

They played it at the same time when we were killing Bethune Cookman at the end of the 3rd quarter.    It's a tradition of theirs.  Winning/losing, doesn't matter.

Why do I always feel like I'm defending the GB on here?   Where are all the former GB guys/gals?

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They played it at the same time when we were killing Bethune Cookman at the end of the 3rd quarter.    It's a tradition of theirs.  Winning/losing, doesn't matter.

Why do I always feel like I'm defending the GB on here?   Where are all the former GB guys/gals?

Think of it this way...you've been following NT football for 5, 10, 15 years.  Regardless of how long, the majority of those seasons, at the end of the 3rd quarter, which team is losing?  I equate that song with losing.  Time to change things up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A tradition of theirs?  The games are not about them, they are about the football team.  As FFR so eloquently noted, it might be a GB tradition...but it's a lousy one, just like the GB's pregame entrance.  Both need to change.

Why is the GB so resistant to change for the better?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

A tradition of theirs?  The games are not about them, they are about the football team.  As FFR so eloquently noted, it might be a GB tradition...but it's a lousy one, just like the GB's pregame entrance.  Both need to change.

Why is the GB so resistant to change for the better?

This is a terrible argument.
The GB is a group of students that are a part of the gameday atmosphere.   Same thing with the Cheerleaders.  Same with the Talons.  Same with the Dancers.  I'm sure those groups also have their own traditions as well.  

My question is, why does anyone care?   Most people seem to enjoy it (except for some of y'all), and I've seen/heard many people sing along around me.   They play it every game, win/lose after the 3rd quarter.  It's a tradition of theirs, and they deserve to have it... just like playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" after each game.  They are 400 of the most ardent fans in the stadium.   Better fans than a vast majority of people on the other side snickering at their song choice/placement.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

On 10/1/2016 at 8:49 PM, cdizzle86 said:

1. This may be the worst offensive line we've ever had. Pocket collapses within seconds.

2. The offense is very vanilla. Wr screen, 2 step slant, the occasional run up the middle. No down field shots.

3. Offense can't stay on the field long enough to give defense a breather.

4. The only really good offense thing I saw was the first drive.

2-4 are influenced by 1. 

48 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I will put it this way.  Without the football team, or any sports team, there is no Green Brigade.  Without the Green Brigade, the sports teams would continue.  They are part of the game day experience.

I have no doubt that if the football program was canned tomorrow, the Green Brigade would remain a fantastic representation of our University... kinda like these guys:
http://www.uta.edu/music/ensembles/bands/marching-band.php

They are part of the game day experience.  (We agree!)

• Upvote 2

On 10/2/2016 at 11:29 AM, GreenGuy123 said:

Can someone tell me why we continue to throw to fade routes? Unless we get Dez Bryant out there, let's not waste downs.

Ivery caught a beautiful one against Rice.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I have no doubt that if the football program was canned tomorrow, the Green Brigade would remain a fantastic representation of our University... kinda like these guys:
http://www.uta.edu/music/ensembles/bands/marching-band.php

They are part of the game day experience.  (We agree!)

Let me put it this way.  Without the creation of the football team, or any sports team, the Green Brigade would not have been created.  Not a knock on the GB, I love their performance other than the two issues discussed above, but it is just the way it is.  The game is not about the GB.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fine has been limited by the offense, IMO. Would've SL opened up the whole playbook had Morris survived this long? Who knows? Dink n' Dunk all day long. It does kinda have that Buick run up the middle feel to it....

Edited by Got5onIt

Littrell indicating in his presser that on defense, they had toooo many penalties that allowed MUTS to continue drives.

On offense, he said it was inconsistency more than one particular area.  We start out with an 18 play drive for a touchdown which is exactly what you want and then nothing much after. 

He stated a theme that was similar to Mac in that we overall just need to make more plays.  That has been a pretty consistent theme with this program in recent years.

2 hours ago, Green P1 said:

I like Hey Baby.

I do too...in its proper context (which is what FFR and others are saying). In my mind, playing "Hey Baby" signifies "Who's your Daddy, Beatch?" to the opposition. We shouldn't play that when they are beating us. JMHO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1