Good & Bad

cdizzle86

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, GreenGonzo said:

You're right kj86, "Hey Baby" is a huge beating because the Green Brigade plays it when we're losing or about to lose.  They should only play that tune when the game is solidly in our hands with a couple of minutes left.

Why not a little diversity for the Green Brigade songbook like adding Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" to their repertoire & sung en espanol?  That could cause the opposing team to wave the white flag of surrender before the 4'th quarter even begins.

Proceed...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

I do too...in its proper context (which is what FFR and others are saying). In my mind, playing "Hey Baby" signifies "Who's your Daddy, Beatch?" to the opposition. We shouldn't play that when they are beating us. JMHO.

Where the hell did that association come from? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Come on...McNulty would be having a wet dream to put up those stats...Fine maybe be the best Freshman QB NT has had in forever!

Interestingly enough through 4 games Mason Fine's QB Efficiency Rating is 104.9, and at the end of his freshman year Scott Hall's rate was... 104.9.

MF completes a higher percentage (54% to 49%), but SH had a better YPA (6.1 vs 5.6). 

I always consider the two most important stats for a QB to be TD/Int Ratio and YPA.    Scott Hall is in our Hall of Fame* because he IMPROVED from his freshman stats greatly.  His last two years his YPA was mid 8s, and his T/I was a really great 3-1.

Fine shows a lot of potential, if he can deliver on it he can join Hall in the HOF.  It would be great if Fine was the QB for 4 bowl worthy teams, but 

*Four conference championship rings probably have something to do with it also.  

4 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Where the hell did that association come from? 

From the depths of a seventy-one year old, Shiner-fueled mind...with a dash of dementia. :)

7 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Why not a little diversity for the Green Brigade songbook like adding Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" to their repertoire & sung en espanol?  That could cause the opposing team to wave the white flag of surrender before the 4'th quarter even begins.

Proceed...

GMG!

I have been crying out for several years for one of our great student musicians to stand and sound "El Deguello" at the beginning of the fourth quarter. That is certainly more signifying of our intentions than "Hey Baby".

• Upvote 1

I love it when we talk about the band in a thread about our football team and its performance on a football field in a conference game...

Our football team didn't lose because of the band's choice of songs or their march into the stadium...their march into the stadium isn't bringing in any fans to the game. Them playing Hey Baby or Fly Like An Eagle isn't causing people to leave the stadium, either. Maybe it would fire up the 5k-15k that are still at the stadium in the second half of a game in a better way if they change something up, but a better way to fire up the crowd would be to actually win a few games against teams that aren't rated below 100 in the college football world. I know, just a crazy thought...

Anyone who comes to one of our games that isn't a UNT fan usually loves our band's performance. I have never heard one bad thing about our band by an actual fan at one of our games--I've only been around since 1991, though...only on here does the Green Brigade's performance get ripped.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

From the depths of a seventy-one year old, Shiner-fueled mind...with a dash of dementia. :)

I have been crying out for several years for one of our great student musicians to stand and sound "El Deguello" at the beginning of the fourth quarter. That is certainly more signifying of our intentions than "Hey Baby".

Uh, that would be friggin' awesome.

41 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Uh, that would be friggin' awesome.

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Our football team didn't lose because of the band's choice of songs or their march into the stadium...

Duh, it was obviously the uniforms. Idiot. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think Va Tech and Wisconsin play "Hey Baby" as their pre-game while the team enters the field.  Or, am I mistaken.

Penn State started the tradition of playing it at games, and they do it between the 3rd and 4th quarters.  I'm pretty sure that's regardless of whether they're losing or winning.

4 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Yes, EMBA! One of The Napoleon of the West' marching band's greatest hits! 

Then they could do a blast from the past double play with "the Monster Mash!"  

Oh hell, have another Shiner or 2 or 3 on me! ???

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen