At the game tonight.  2 thoughts.  It looks bad when the band isn't in the stands before the game, and at halftime.  It may be time to move them closer to the end zone.  

Also - Alumni who reserved seat backs behind the visitor sidelines and in front of the students....if you're going to reserve those seats, get your a$$ to the game!! I'm sure the students would love to be closer and be able to heckle the opponents.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Also - Alumni who reserved seat backs behind the visitor sidelines and in front of the students....if you're going to reserve those seats, get your a$$ to the game!! I'm sure the students would love to be closer and be able to heckle the opponents.

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Yes they would, but that section exists because the conference banned students from sitting there. 

I'd say this is largely because our ticket office didn't match the season tickets for those seats with the actual seats. There may be a boatload of those folks standing with the students, just like I had to do the first game because my seats were wrong.

• Upvote 1

We did.  That was my first time witnessing that in person.

Totally took away from the fantastic job that they did performing it, among the obvious other things. All you heard was whispers of shock that there were about 10-15 that we counted.

We were very disappointed.  Wonder if they were scholarshiped members?  Surely that would be inappropriate....?

* to answer a question... They did not sit. They took a knee.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

This disgrace against our national anthem in protest against one aspect of our country is not all that different than if we were to boo the entire Green Brigade in protest of the few that kneeled.  I'm not saying we should boo the Green Brigade.  Just pointing out the inappropriateness of the choice of protest by these students.  I wonder how the veterans in the stands felt seeing these students disrespect the country and freedom the military fights to provide for us, including for those students.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Support your country and the men and women who have sacrificed to keep it free, so you can have all of the blessings you have in the USA.

Stand for the National Anthem and honor your country...or maybe you would prefer to be on your knees like this:

th?id=OIP.M8d27913a6a4eaa2d0dbd3b28fd691

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

47 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

I'm really surprised by this. Does the radio even AIR the national anthem each week?

The station not carrying the game has a contract and I'd be surprised if there was a clause that allowed them to not air a game because of conduct of the band. What if ECU were the visitors - does the station then not air a game because of ECU because of that since it's equally offensive? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Well it will be real interesting next year when we host Army.  You know, those men and women who dedicate a good portion of their lives protecting the rest of us.

Pay attention to my signature-

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste the protected will never know.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

"[braces for downvotes]

Blinders, boys and girls. When is it appropriate to peacefully protest? Think about your answer to such.

What Kaepernick has started is a way more useful means towards conversation and hopefully progress on the abhorrent race issues that persist in our time.

I think they're being the patriotic ones. Plus, this has nothing to do with the military and whole bunch of vets would prefer ya'll stop making false equivalencies. 

[also bracing for this thread to either get locked or moved to Pie]

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 9

28 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

"[braces for downvotes]

Blinders, boys and girls. When is it appropriate to peacefully protest? Think about your answer to such.

What Kaepernick has started is a way more useful means towards conversation and hopefully progress on the abhorrent race issues that persist in our time.

I think they're being the patriotic ones. Plus, this has nothing to do with the military and whole bunch of vets would prefer ya'll stop making false equivalencies. 

Nope, you agree with this type protest so it won't get locked or moved. I however, am a vet, and disagreed with it in a previous post and the whole thread got deleted. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

On October 1, 2016 at 10:15 PM, NT91 said:

What was the attendance tonight19K

Did you notice the band members that did not stand during the anthem.

Pay them & the other .0000000000001 of the American population who do this no attention & when they see no one is watching them they'll eventually get the hint & then campus streaking could make a big come-back!???

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

"[braces for downvotes]

I'm a vet. I find disrespecting the national anthem and the flag to be offensive and most definitely NOT patriotic.

I (naturally) know quite a few vets and I don't believe a single one of them would agree with your statement. 

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I'm a vet. I find disrespecting the national anthem and the flag to be offensive and most definitely NOT patriotic.

I (naturally) know quite a few vets and I don't believe a single one of them would agree with your statement. 

And that's absolutely fine. I've seen enough support of the protest from vets around the country and abroad to believe there's enough that feel differently. If anything, there should be a particular amount of pride in that your service and others' continues to protect a nation that allows for this sort of protest and speech.

But, let's quickly just run down something: how would you rather they protest? Because, frankly this sort of exhibition is strategically placed to have the widest impact, as it reaches directly the sort of populations who have the power to change their own minds, attitudes, and actions for the better. It addresses them where they are.

Alternatively, there are mass protests, marches and other peaceful exhibitions all the time that have little effect because they are not covered. The situation up in North Dakota between the Dakota Access Pipeline development and the Standing Rock Sioux tribe did not gain traction beyond social media and alt-news sites until the President and the Army Corps of Engineers stepped in, and that protest is massive in scale.

Simply put, peaceable demonstration during sporting events is exactly the best platform to raise awareness and facilitate discussion, as it cuts so widely across so many different demographics.

Thanks, as always, for your service and see ya Saturday!

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 7