FIU fires their coach

Army of Dad

This is a mild shocker, only because Turner has an enviable and solid coaching pedigree. Who in the hell will they be able to get that is any better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Turner_(American_football)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Was there a good reason why they fired the o my good coach they had?? I don't remember so well... something about him either getting into a fight or just not getting along with the AD. 

Mario Cristobal?  Yes, he pummeled some poor sap who made fun of FIU into oblivion, yelling "Panther Power" between blows.

• Upvote 2

I couldn't believe those idiots fired Mario Cristobal years back... He had turned their program around and into formidable, respected program.... I seem to recall he even turned down a higher level G5 or P5 job coach offer to remain loyal to FIU.... and what did FIU do when the program had it a downturn... fired the loyal Cristobal.... They have never been the same ever since... Karma is a bee-atch! 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Les Miles might also be out at LSU.

WOW!!! LSU has a TREMENDOUS record going back years. Worst record I saw in a casual scan was 8 - 5. Those people expect a conference championship and a playoff bowl game every year, I guess.

UPDATE: Excerpt from article posted by Coach Bill Lewis in another thread and pursuant to my point above:

"Miles, who turns 63 in November, had a highly successful first 11 years in Baton Rouge, specifically his first seven seasons. He has an overall record of 114-34 and a winning percentage of 77.0 percent, tops among LSU coaches since the school joined the SEC in 1933. He is 62-28 in SEC games, a winning percentage of 68.9 percent, and led the Tigers to a bowl game in each of his first 11 seasons, going 7-4."

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't see the coorelation between FIU and the Hernandez tragedy.

FIU is in the Miami area. That city just lost one of its biggest sports stars (and a Cuban one no less) at age 24. I think it would've been a good idea for FIU to wait on the announcement a few days.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenBuzz said:

Very poor choice of timing on this one with the grieving Miami is doing today. Bad form on their AD. They should have waited a few days if not a week.

We are a year ahead of FIU. The timing is actually not that bad. Their ADs contract is up next month, and I doubt it will get renewed*. I assume strongly they are cleaning house for the new AD to come in and get his own guy. If they'd accidentally won next week, it would have been weird to let him go.

*There was a flying banner that reminded a lot of people of ours last season. This is the AD that fired Cristobal ( a decision that looked puzzling/stupid then, looks stupid now), and who hired Isaiah Thomas (well that guy actually worked for free, still he was forseeably such a cancer that free was still too expensive). Moreover, they are in a position where they have to fight hard not to fall below the 15k spectators average that the FBS demands. Even in his worst years RV looked good when compared to this guy.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1