Show me the $ or W

Wag Tag

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

What is more important and why at this time? A sold out Apogee and a loss or a 15,000 attendance and a win.

15,000 attendance and a win. If we can string together a few consecutive winning seasons, it won't matter who we play - people will come to watch. Every major P5 is the perfect example of this. They sell out (or nearly sell out) their stadiums to come watch their teams play even against weaker opponents.

Plus, like I mentioned on an other thread, getting to 6+ wins regardless of opponent is what's most important right now. We need to be bowl eligible. That's the most important thing right now. An easy win helps us get there.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

I would think that winning would cure attendance problems, but it didn't in 2013, so I don't know what the answer is to your question.

Attendance was relatively good in 2013 with the exception of the Ball State game (per ESPN's records). You can't just take one winning season and say, oh, attendance should be great now. You need several winning seasons. We need to expect winning to be the norm, not the exception, before we see a continuous spike in attendance. Also, per ESPN, our attendance steadily got better during 2013, minus the Ball State game, and hit just over 26,000 against UTEP. The following game was a chilly one against UTSA and attendance was poor, although good by today's standards. Winning did increase our attendance as the year went on.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, wardly said:

I would think that winning would cure attendance problems, but it didn't in 2013, so I don't know what the answer is to your question.

We still started slow that season (1-3), and followed it up with a stinker of a season (2014), followed by one of the worst seasons we've ever had in our 100-year history of playing football (2015).   That's why.
The winning has to be sustainable past a great 2nd half to 1 season.
Let Littrell put 2 years of winning seasons together, and (if we can keep him) you'll see attendance blow up.
As evidenced by the HOD turnout, winning can cure attendance problems.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Eastwood Eagle said:

I think it depends. If the loss is an OT loss against a solid P5 program in front of a sell out crowd and we go like 10-2 or something then I honestly would take that loss over a win of Lamar or something in front of 15K.

This was kind of my thought. If you sold out a game and lost but had a winning season wouldn't that be the best of both worlds?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grant.UNT said:

Just win baby!

Winning gets people's attention and out of curiosity they will come at least one time to see what's going on. To keep them coming back they must feel that they were PART OF THE WINNING EXPERIENCE.  That's the Band and Cheer staff's job. The NORTH-TEXAS back and forth is a good start, but something else needs to be developed.......ideally using the drum line as the instigator/driving force of the yell(ing). 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

2013 saw a record attendance in North Texas football history. It saw this because we were winning and no other reason. 

Win. And they will come. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We still started slow that season (1-3), and followed it up with a stinker of a season (2014), followed by one of the worst seasons we've ever had in our 100-year history of playing football (2015).   That's why.
The winning has to be sustainable past a great 2nd half to 1 season.
Let Littrell put 2 years of winning seasons together, and (if we can keep him) you'll see attendance blow up.
As evidenced by the HOD turnout, winning can cure attendance problems.

I agree but just a little note that the 2013 team started 2-1 after Idaho and Ball State victories at home, then fell to 2-3 after Georgia and Tulane.

Just annually recruit better than La Tech, Southern Miss & Marshall--the rest will take care of itself & 'fore you know it they'll be talking stadium expansion.  ✳️ Truly, don't we have one helluva' product to sell with all our school has working for it?  (We really do need to get some name schools into Apogee, though--at least Top 25-50 programs for starters)?

With a projected (& expected from Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board) enrollment of 45,000, DFW alumnus numbers burgeoning (since most of us stick around these parts after graduation)  & Denton County approaching 1,000,000 population,  they probably need to be planning that sooner than later anyway.

IMO, we don't have to fill Apogee 10 years in a row as some magic formula, either.  That's for those who think we'll always be & do the same & we'll keep having the old NTSTC mind-set.  Just sayin'...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

In 2013 our average home attendance with 6 games was 23,509 in a stadium that seats only  30,850. That averages to about 75% of capacity, which is just O.K.[lets give us a solid "c".] We still have not gotten close to a sellout because of the poor product we have been trying to sell. While I agree that winning cures most problems, it doesn't cure all as illustrated by 2013 attendance. In my opinion, we just can't be a one hit wonder. We need to establish a successful winning tradition, which takes time. At 73 I am running out of time, patience , and interest.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, wardly said:

In 2013 our average home attendance with 6 games was 23,509 in a stadium that seats only  30,850. That averages to about 75% of capacity, which is just O.K.[lets give us a solid "c".] We still have not gotten close to a sellout because of the poor product we have been trying to sell. While I agree that winning cures most problems, it doesn't cure all as illustrated by 2013 attendance. In my opinion, we just can't be a one hit wonder. We need to establish a successful winning tradition, which takes time. At 73 I am running out of time, patience , and interest.

In 2014 we wet the bed and it hurt us. It made 2013 kind of all for nothing as far as garnering more attention. In 2015, we shit the bed and it turned people off again...Much like how Todd Dodge turned people off. If, and big if...we capitalized on the 2013 season by having any kind of smidgen of success and not blowing our own selves up in 2015 we would be fine. Dan McCarney hurt this program quite a bit. His absolute lack of commitment to this football program hurt this program and is still hurting this program. To add a little insult, we're still paying this guy good money. Perfectly good money. To add a little more insult we're still paying the idiot that hired him good money. It was the most demoralizing thing I have witnessed as far as athletics go. What gets me maybe more than anything...there were STILL people supporting that dumpster fire piece of shit athletic program. CRAZY. ugh. It pisses me off again every time I think about it. Just gross. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

In 2014 we wet the bed and it hurt us. It made 2013 kind of all for nothing as far as garnering more attention. In 2015, we shit the bed and it turned people off again...Much like how Todd Dodge turned people off. If, and big if...we capitalized on the 2013 season by having any kind of smidgen of success and not blowing our own selves up in 2015 we would be fine. Dan McCarney hurt this program quite a bit. His absolute lack of commitment to this football program hurt this program and is still hurting this program. To add a little insult, we're still paying this guy good money. Perfectly good money. To add a little more insult we're still paying the idiot that hired him good money. It was the most demoralizing thing I have witnessed as far as athletics go. What gets me maybe more than anything...there were STILL people supporting that dumpster fire piece of shit athletic program. CRAZY. ugh. It pisses me off again every time I think about it. Just gross. 

Ugh ugh do we $ or W ? Kinda simple!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1